Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Do you use the tripod winegard stand or ground.

I’m looking to replace my tailgater with a winegard pathway x2. I place the tailgater on the ground. I would prefer to place the winegard on the ground rather than use the tripod stand to avoid tipping over but would like to know how this works for others.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

I sent mine on the roof
Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

I have fab'd up a new set of short (3") legs that are mounted to the round attachment plate. The plate is semi permanently attached to the X2. That way I can lock it to something if leaving it outside at night.
My short legs attach the same as the long legs using the 3 pins.
My tripod plate is always on the X2 and I just use either the long legs or the short legs.
I removed part spacer for the rubber foot. Tightened them up pretty good. It's not theft proof by any means but it will deter some. They would need bolt cutters or an allen wrench.
Also now I don't have to deal with the tripod plate every time plus storing it somewhere. The X2 is now always ready to set on the ground or the roof of the 5th wheel. If I need more elevation I can use the legs or something else like the picnic table or other small table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180225_110317113.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	163360  
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

How you set it out will not influence reception one bit. Where you position it will. I have a stand for my Playmaker but don't use it. It's the ground, roof, picnic table or where ever for me.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

agreed, tripod definitely NOT needed... set it anywhere... tripods are just a sales gimmick that many 'think' they are supposed to use.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
agreed, tripod definitely NOT needed... set it anywhere... tripods are just a sales gimmick that many 'think' they are supposed to use.
Not really. Maybe most of the time. If you only camp where things are clean and level and wide open then yeah just throw it on the ground. We have one spot we go to on occasion that because of location and trees there's only one spot in my CG spot that I can set the X2. I have to use either the tripod or a small table to get clearance over the top of my truck. My X2 is sitting right in front of the 5th wheel under the overhang and about 4' from my truck rear bumper. The sat window is really narrow.
We also dry camp and if it rains then I'm pretty much setting the X2 down wet dirt. All the while the rain is splashing the dirt all over everything.
We don't do the power pole princess type camping so it's not always all roses.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Looks like it is whatever works best for my circumstances. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Thanks goduc the instructions.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #8

Yes

Makes leveling an easy process and keeps it out of water if it rains. There is an anchor system included.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #9

I always use my tripod. I have a 1st gen carry out that the gears and motor have become weak. It has to be absolutely level to hold position or I get signal drop and the motor is constantly repositioning the dish. I guess it’s time for a new one or a refurb.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #10

Upside down plastic milk crate.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #11

I use the tripod but a mild crate or table would do. If it is not grassy, then when it rains the mud and dirt are easy to clean off the tripod and it does not get on the X2. The tripod also makes getting the X2 level easier - at least for me.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
MCTroy

2x that on the tri pod. We need the added height to get over trees. It also helps defer folks from moving it or thinking about taking it. If we aren't around and concerned about the campground wethis k a light chain through the handle then to the trailer. Just enough to make it harder and noiser to take the dish. Snd by the way, we were amazed at the great picture we get with this.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard