Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
CCRVOC

Does Anyone Have Any Feedback On The 2017 38FBD

I would like get anyone's thoughts about the Cedar Creek for full time living.

My wife and I have just recently sold our home and are now living fulltime in our travel trailer, a Vibe 279RBS. Our plans are for me to work the remainder of 2017 with a 4 to 5 week trip in the spring or fall and then start full time travel in 2018. As one part of the preparation for that, we bought a 2016 F350 6.7L Diesel Dually with the 8ft bed in November. We were then going to purchase a fifth wheel towards the end of 2017.

We've been able to make the 279RBS work, but it is little cramped and there isn't quite enough kitchen or wardrobe storage, even though it is just the two of us. Also, when we had a recent cold spell with 9F overnight as a part of couple of days of subfreezing temperatures, it is obvious that the Vibe was never intended for full time living. So now we are looking at moving up to a fifth wheel much sooner, probably this month.

We've looked at used and new and for the price point, it looks to us like a new Cedar Creek is a good tradeoff between cost and features, such as insulation, heating/AC, and space for full time living for a empty nest couple.

We are leaning very heavily towards the 2017 38FBD, even though we don't need the 1/2 bath. We really like the wardrobe and bathroom together along with the double sinks that you get with this model and it is the first 1 1/2 bath floor plan that we've seen that provides a nice closet and/or additional pantry next to the 1/2 bath. The particular one we are looking at has 3 15k BTU A/Cs, the on demand hot water heater, the 20 cu ft residential refrigerator with inverter, and the 6 point LevelUp system.

We were originally looking at the early 2017 38CK which has the large wardrobe in the bedroom slide in addition to the front wardrobe, but the bathroom door to the bedroom takes up some usable wall space and the bathroom is smaller.

Being an engineer, I always over think things, but one area of concern that I have is the 38CK uses an electric slide for the bedroom, while the smaller bedroom slide on the 38FBD is hydraulic along with two main slides. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either system?

In our current setup, we have to be careful not to overload the AC circuits. We can't run our coffee maker and the toaster oven at the same time, or the breaker will trip. Is there enough distributed AC power to handle most needs?

Is the furnace along with the radiant fireplace enough to handle a prolonged 10F to 20F outside temperature? After running through 20LBs of propane in one night in the 279RBS, I have some concerns about the propane usage. I recently bought a 40LB external tank when we are sitting for a while, but I want to make sure I don't have to fill a 30LB bottle everyday when we travel.

I realize that any RV will have issues and I can do simple fixes and most maintenance, but if the Cedar Creek can't hold up to 10 or so years of full time living and travel, I would like to know now rather than after we've bought it. Are there any showstoppers in purchasing this trailer?

I really appreciate any and all feedback.

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
2016 Ford F350 SuperCrew Platinum 6.7L PSD Dually
TxJnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Do you need the Bunk Beds? If so, get the FB. If not, my opinion (FWIW) is that those take up needed room, especially if you are going to full time.

I have a fairly new CC. Even though I've had some issues, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I know many CC'ers that are full time and love it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

As for heat, I'm not a Yankee so can't comment on truly prolonged REAL cold temps. But just for a general idea......I just took our trailer to shop 30 minutes ago......Dometic is replacing the 15K A/C unit and the roof, due to oil leak!!! And last few days when we were straightening it up so we could put slides in and hook up, it was cold in there.........about 37F.

We turned on the fireplace heater, the bedroom wall heater, and a small plug-in space heater. Within an hour I had to turn some stuff off. I have not turned on my central furnace yet (just got this last May). Now, would that combo get it warm for prolonged period at 10F?? I have no idea. If it gets to 10F here for a prolonged time, I'm moving, so I'll never know! But maybe some other Northern folk can help you there.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
....I just took our trailer to shop 30 minutes ago......Dometic is replacing the 15K A/C unit and the roof, due to oil leak!!!
Make sure the oil leak didn't damage the roof. Just read on another forum that Dometic had a bad batch of 15K A/C's. As a result of the oil leak one person is getting a new roof installed by Dometic in addition to the A/C unit.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Make sure the oil leak didn't damage the roof. Just read on another forum that Dometic had a bad batch of 15K A/C's. As a result of the oil leak one person is getting a new roof installed by Dometic in addition to the A/C unit.
It did damage the roof. Dometic is replacing the roof as well.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
As for heat, I'm not a Yankee so can't comment on truly prolonged REAL cold temps. But just for a general idea......I just took our trailer to shop 30 minutes ago......Dometic is replacing the 15K A/C unit and the roof, due to oil leak!!! And last few days when we were straightening it up so we could put slides in and hook up, it was cold in there.........about 37F.

We turned on the fireplace heater, the bedroom wall heater, and a small plug-in space heater. Within an hour I had to turn some stuff off. I have not turned on my central furnace yet (just got this last May). Now, would that combo get it warm for prolonged period at 10F?? I have no idea. If it gets to 10F here for a prolonged time, I'm moving, so I'll never know! But maybe some other Northern folk can help you there.
BanJCarm,

Thanks for the feedback. The first year we will continue to live in the DFW area, and this winter so far has produced a couple of multiple day below freezing daily highs. I also remember Feb, 2011 (the Dallas Superbowl) when we had over a week of below freezing days. The crazy weather here then goes to highs in the 70s within days of the freezes.

In our future travels, we will try to be where is is a little warmer during the winter months.

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
Old 01-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

I lived in Carrollton for a while in the 70's.

If you are a "Southerner", this one would be a great choice for you. The FBD is a huge unit, 18K lbs. It's about 2 feet longer than ours, and that 1/2 bath is where we have a lot of kitchen cabinet storage. But there's plenty of storage either way.

But the CK2 also has double sinks (a great idea) but storage instead of the 1/2 bath. It's the unit I'd be getting if I had waited one more year.......but glad I didn't.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

The Cedar Creeks are a very nice unit and if taken care of will serve you well, we had one for 6 years and loved it, was it trouble free, no but we received great service from the factory when needed. We just stepped up to the new River Stone Legacy line and really like it, you might want to compare one to the Cedar Creek your looking at as a lot of options on the Creek are standard on the River Stone. Good luck on your choice and if any questions on the River Stone fell free to contact me.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #9

Our 38CK is as you described the early 2017. However, the newer CK2 does not have the wardrobe and bed all on one slide. In addition the bathroom does not have a door to the bedroom. It has a pocket door in the hall. On ours the storage space across from the bathroom has the washer & dryer set up. Make note of where the washer & dryer are located on the unit your are considering. Also note, when the wardrobe slide is in you may not have access to the bathroom. Because of our long bedroom slide FR increased the rollers from two to five under the slide and changed the motors from 300:1 ratio to 500:1 ratio to increase the pushing and pulling power on the slide.

The unit your looking at is a foot longer and 2,000 #'s more than the 38CK2. You have the right truck but it is one big trailer. Are they putting 7,000# axles on an 18,000 # trailer?

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #10

You might want checkout GD 323BHS 5r or 308BHTS TT Reflection.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

A great looking unit. We to as full timers are looking to upgrade to 40+ft. Not sure about the propane usage for your perspective but ours is a guzzler. Were hoping that our new unit with fireplace heaters and 20gal electric water heaters will be more palatable. If your not needing the 1/2 bath you could look at the 2017 BC 3650RL. Floor plans are similar (cost similar). One downside to moving into a 40+ unit is hydraulics. And as engineers we understand they don't fare well in cold weather and when they fail they are messy. Good luck.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Our 38CK is as you described the early 2017. However, the newer CK2 does not have the wardrobe and bed all on one slide. In addition the bathroom does not have a door to the bedroom. It has a pocket door in the hall. On ours the storage space across from the bathroom has the washer & dryer set up. Make note of where the washer & dryer are located on the unit your are considering. Also note, when the wardrobe slide is in you may not have access to the bathroom. Because of our long bedroom slide FR increased the rollers from two to five under the slide and changed the motors from 300:1 ratio to 500:1 ratio to increase the pushing and pulling power on the slide.

The unit your looking at is a foot longer and 2,000 #'s more than the 38CK2. You have the right truck but it is one big trailer. Are they putting 7,000# axles on an 18,000 # trailer?
Bob,

I checked the 2017 brochure and it does specify 18,000# with 8,000# axles on it. Also, the brochure says that the 2017 38CK2 is 18,000# GVWR with 8,000# axles.

Just to verify everything, I called the dealer to have them to send me a picture of the weight tags on the trailer. Those say it is 16,305# GVWR with a CCC of 2905#. It has 7000# axles with 16 inch G rated tires.

I don't know where the mismatch comes from, but I appreciate the question, since it made me check the numbers.

Jim

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #13

I have a 38el and live full time just south of Cincinnati in KY. In the last week we have had 3 days in the single digits at night, 2 or 3 in teens and a few in the 30s. Highs on the cold side teens to her 30s. With the electric fireplace, bedroom wall heat along with a small space heater in basement compartment and one in the gen. compartment. We use a full 40 lbs tank, at 70 degrees inside.
The champagne is a step up from the hathaways. A lot of the options on it are standards on the champagne. The bathroom and bedroom size is what sold us.
We got ours with slide toppers, 3 a.c. units, w&d installed, and second awning on slide out. Out the door with tax and title for under $72000 form couchs rv nation just north of Cincinnati. Can not beat the price and service. Bought my 1st toy hauler from them in 06. Still have it along with the champagne.
Good luck you will not go wrong with either one.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #14
CCRVOC

I want to thank everyone for their feedback. We've decided to go ahead with the purchase of the 38FBD and are scheduled to pick it up next Wednesday.

Also, the GVWR and axle difference continued to bother me, so I call Cedar Creek sale's number and talked to someone there. The difference is that this unit was built prior to their decision to go to 8000# axles and increase the GVWR, which they documented in the brochure.

Now to get ready to move again after just settling in a couple of weeks ago. We both can't wait to have the increased storage and living space.

Jim

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
Old 01-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJnJ View Post
I want to thank everyone for their feedback. We've decided to go ahead with the purchase of the 38FBD and are scheduled to pick it up next Wednesday.
Jim
Congrats on your choice and keep us posted!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

Jim; 2 fifth wheels; over 6 years. 2 live aboard boats, warmer waters but cool nights....hard as heck to keep warm flow at a reasonable cost.

We have camped comfortably in 30 degrees but slightly more uncomfortable below that.

One thing not mentioned are electric blankets. I use one to heat the bed as a layer. WE DISCONNECT IT BEFORE CRAWLING IN BED. A couple of decent thermal light weight blankets and WINTER FLANNEL SHEETS AND PILLOW CASES works wonders!!

In the cold morning, I usually jump up and run that fireplace and kick up the heat for 30 minutes.

Forget all I said😂. Take the damned thing to the Keys!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Forget all I said😂. Take the damned thing to the Keys!!
I wish we could! We want to be debt free when we start traveling, so I have to work the rest of this year to pay off the new fifth wheel.

Hopefully next year!

Jim

2017 Cedar Creek 38FBD
Old 01-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #18

HYd vs Electric Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJnJ View Post
I would like get anyone's thoughts about the Cedar Creek for full time living.

My wife and I have just recently sold our home and are now living fulltime in our travel trailer, a Vibe 279RBS. Our plans are for me to work the remainder of 2017 with a 4 to 5 week trip in the spring or fall and then start full time travel in 2018. As one part of the preparation for that, we bought a 2016 F350 6.7L Diesel Dually with the 8ft bed in November. We were then going to purchase a fifth wheel towards the end of 2017.

We've been able to make the 279RBS work, but it is little cramped and there isn't quite enough kitchen or wardrobe storage, even though it is just the two of us. Also, when we had a recent cold spell with 9F overnight as a part of couple of days of subfreezing temperatures, it is obvious that the Vibe was never intended for full time living. So now we are looking at moving up to a fifth wheel much sooner, probably this month.

We've looked at used and new and for the price point, it looks to us like a new Cedar Creek is a good tradeoff between cost and features, such as insulation, heating/AC, and space for full time living for a empty nest couple.

We are leaning very heavily towards the 2017 38FBD, even though we don't need the 1/2 bath. We really like the wardrobe and bathroom together along with the double sinks that you get with this model and it is the first 1 1/2 bath floor plan that we've seen that provides a nice closet and/or additional pantry next to the 1/2 bath. The particular one we are looking at has 3 15k BTU A/Cs, the on demand hot water heater, the 20 cu ft residential refrigerator with inverter, and the 6 point LevelUp system.

We were originally looking at the early 2017 38CK which has the large wardrobe in the bedroom slide in addition to the front wardrobe, but the bathroom door to the bedroom takes up some usable wall space and the bathroom is smaller.

Being an engineer, I always over think things, but one area of concern that I have is the 38CK uses an electric slide for the bedroom, while the smaller bedroom slide on the 38FBD is hydraulic along with two main slides. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either system?

In our current setup, we have to be careful not to overload the AC circuits. We can't run our coffee maker and the toaster oven at the same time, or the breaker will trip. Is there enough distributed AC power to handle most needs?

Is the furnace along with the radiant fireplace enough to handle a prolonged 10F to 20F outside temperature? After running through 20LBs of propane in one night in the 279RBS, I have some concerns about the propane usage. I recently bought a 40LB external tank when we are sitting for a while, but I want to make sure I don't have to fill a 30LB bottle everyday when we travel.

I realize that any RV will have issues and I can do simple fixes and most maintenance, but if the Cedar Creek can't hold up to 10 or so years of full time living and travel, I would like to know now rather than after we've bought it. Are there any showstoppers in purchasing this trailer?

I really appreciate any and all feedback.
My wife would prefer electric slide in bedroom because of storage under the bed. with the hydraulic slide you loose most of that storage space

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote