Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Does your Furrion camera actually work?

We purchased a 2015 Cedar Creek 34rl on Oct 24th 2014. We enjoy everything about this RV with the exception of the Furrion camera system. We have tried everything we can to get this thing to work but to no avail.
The website on Cedar Creek calls this a rear observation camera and Furrion clams it will work 100ft away. I called many times and e-mailed the company and finally got a rep to talk to me. I guess I was ignorant as to how these things work because the rep explained some things that I dont quite get but maybe you do or can enlighten me.
I guess the first thing I assumed wrong was I thought I would be able to drive down the road and see what was behind my trailer. The gentlemen informed me no this is only for reversing and not for going forward. Rear observation camera? Could that be sell eze for backup camera? He said the truck going forward would be to much speed and this would interfere with the radio frequency.? Is my truck outrunning the radio waves? It is only 45ft from camera to monitor. My picture is intermittent at best sitting still. In the conversation he stated that the camera is not really a good match for the big RVs like the Cedar Creek due to length and roof slope. Wow fill sorry for you long guys if it is this bad on my little 34rl. 100ft??? maybe a streach.
From some other post I read it seems as though Cedar Creek used to use the more expensive and reliable Voyager system before just switching to the Furrion. Wonder why the switch? Never mind not going their.
All kidding aside, would just like to know if someone is having success in using this system and if so I will assume I am just doing something wrong.
Sorry for the long post. Just frustrating....
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #2

Same problem on my 2015 CC 36CKTS, the Furrion camera system doesn't work. Replacing it with the Voyager.
2014 3500 Ram Laramie Mega Cab DRW Cummins 6.7L Diesel

bturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
RVGwen,
I have a 32 ft Rockwood. the camera did not work in the driveway sitting still let alone driving. They sent me a new system and it is better but still drops out. The issue from a technical perspective is the antenna system, there is an aluminum frame between the Camera and the Receiver in the steel truck. I have a new one (directional antenna) I am going to try once it is nice out. I am going to mount it on the Ladder and point forward.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Guarantee you are NOT outrunning those radio waves!!!
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
TGR

I have a Wildcat 5th wheel with a Voyager camera. It works flawlessly whether or not I'm moving or stationary. Obviously, I'm a little shorter than your rigs but even when I disconnect, I can go perhaps 30-50 feet before my signal drops.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

When we bought our 2014 Cedar Creek, we declined the Furrion and installed the Voyager on our own. Yes, you can watch the world recede as you drive down the highway, in drive, or in reverse. We can see a long way back!
bkearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Old Timer

Thumbs down Furrion "backup" camera

I also have a new Wildcat (275CKX) with a factory installed Furrion. So far it works parked in the driveway. Haven't had it out yet. My problem is they wired it hot so it is on all the time. There is no way to turn it off so it is running all the time even when sitting disconnected. If I don't pull the battery disconnect the battery gauge goes down one tick in three days. This camera is supposed to be connected to the back up wire lead in your 7 pin connector. They missed the boat on this one. Factory customer service rep's solution to this was to pull the in line fuse which is virtually impossible to access by normal means. Fortunately my dealer has offered to put an on/off switch in for me. Anybody else got a better solution?
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

I have a 2015 silverback 29RE. The camera gets it's power from the running lights. That means the tow vehicle must be connected and the lights turned on. Then you must pair the camera with the display. There is a button that must be pressed on the camera to pair the device. Once I figured out the power problem it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #9

I also read where it said only in reverse, I checked the voltage going to the camera and there was only voltage when the running lights are on. If you follow the wire you will se it gets power from the top running light.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
Old Timer

Angry Furious with my Furrion...

Yup, looks like they have tried various ways to wire it, none of which are correct. I have it direct from a Wildcat CS rep that the "hot wire" to my camera takes off from a point by the battery disconnect switch, behind the convenience center panel, which is where that in line fuse is located. I have also heard of connecting it to one of the marker lamps in other instances, which is one of the easiest ways of doing an after market add on.
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #11

Furrion Back Up Camera

I purchased the Furrion Back-up Camera for my 38 Foot 2014 Forest River Sanibel at the Frog Rally in August 2014. I have installed it on my Clearance Lights and it works for about 5 minutes the goes to a sleep mode. I bought it to monitor traffic at my rear of my 5th Wheel and when I am backing into location. ("I have a Wife who does not understand how to use hand signals when I am backing"). If I make it to Goshen Indiana in September I will question Furrion Rep. why it goes into sleep mode in a short time. Furrion has replace my power cord since I purchased the unit. If they can not correct the problem I will more likely regret buying it!
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

First if your camera only comes on when in reverse you'll have to move the power lead from backup circuit to your tail light circuit. Then you'll have camera as long as park or headlights are on.

Second I have a friend who had the voyager system on his 2014 36CKTS . He found out same as I did on my 2013 36CKTS the screen would lock up or show "no signal". He now has a 2015 36CKTS with the furion system.
We cured that problem by purchasing from rvcams.com an 8' antenna extension and a 35' extension cable. We ran the cables from the camera to the front cap. With the antenna on the front cap there is no disruption of signal to the screen.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

CB, after purchasing the extension cables are you able to use your system as a rear view camera while driving down the road.
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

rear view camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgwen View Post
CB, after purchasing the extension cables are you able to use your system as a rear view camera while driving down the road.

Absolutely, It is on as long as your tail lights are on.

C.B.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
SnP

cbvp, how did you run the cables from the camera to the front cap? Fish them through the roof or lay across the top of the roof? If on top, how did you secure them. This option sounds like a great idea to fix the lack of communication to the receiver. Now I'm trying to figure out best way to install. Thanks for the idea and link.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #16

CAMERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnP View Post
cbvp, how did you run the cables from the camera to the front cap? Fish them through the roof or lay across the top of the roof? If on top, how did you secure them. This option sounds like a great idea to fix the lack of communication to the receiver. Now I'm trying to figure out best way to install. Thanks for the idea and link.
Ike and I both took the easy option. We found stick on pads with tabs that you can pull tie straps through to hold cable to roof from a local auto supply store. We ran the cable on the left side of front & rear AC and roof vents. When we could we tie strapped to them. I checked mine this fall when winterizing and all was well.

C.B.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #17

The cable and antenna extension listed in rvcams is under the Voyager. Is that what you used?
2014 3500 Ram Laramie Mega Cab DRW Cummins 6.7L Diesel

bturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #18

CAMERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner View Post
The cable and antenna extension listed in rvcams is under the Voyager. Is that what you used?

Yes Sir, I just double checked with Ike to make sure.

C.B.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #19

Is this the antenna you used?

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: 80” Antenna extension

Thanks,
Lee

2015 Ceder Creek 36CKTS
LeNe4847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #20

Backup cam

Quote: