Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
keith52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 322
Dometic awning question

A little help please. I have the Dometic 9100E electric awning and a question about the black adjusting knob on the awning arm. When the awning is out, should the knob be loose or tight? Then when ready to retract, loose or tight? I can't get much out of the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460663589004.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	104894  
__________________

__________________
2014 Chevy CC Duramax 4X4 Long Bed
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3,418
At my checkout they told me to leave those loose unless pulling the awning down to drain or shade more then tighten but loosen before retracting
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Always loose when retracting.
Tight any other time.


2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
At my checkout they told me to leave those loose unless pulling the awning down to drain or shade more then tighten but loosen before retracting
X2 unless you use awning poles and tie downs, then I always leave mine loose. In fact, I never tighten them.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2 unless you use awning poles and tie downs, then I always leave mine loose. In fact, I never tighten them.


X2
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
keith52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 322
Thanks guys
__________________
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,563
As mentioned above loose unless holding down a corner for rain. I purchased two of these( see photo) and attach them with a rubber band whenever I tighten one. The 5" size works great. That way when you have to run out in the middle of the night to roll up the awning, you do not forget. You can also use one on the antenna crank up( if you have that model) if you forget to lower it before travel.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
It looks like you may have one of the newer non-adjustable awning arms. The rivet I see in your picture looks like my awning. The knob makes no difference as there is no slid movement possible. I cannot lower the outer end of the awning as the arm length is fixed.

I have asked Dometic about this but can't get a clear answer on why some awnings have the riveted arms and some do not.
__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
It looks like you may have one of the newer non-adjustable awning arms. The rivet I see in your picture looks like my awning. The knob makes no difference as there is no slid movement possible. I cannot lower the outer end of the awning as the arm length is fixed.

I have asked Dometic about this but can't get a clear answer on why some awnings have the riveted arms and some do not.
Dometic sent adjustable arms to dealers to give to folks with awnings that did not adjust. I gave mine away because I shortened one arm 2" and got a permanent tilt on my old 08Flagstaff.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Dometic sent adjustable arms to dealers to give to folks with awnings that did not adjust. I gave mine away because I shortened one arm 2" and got a permanent tilt on my old 08Flagstaff.

Is there a program letter or some documentation on the arm change? I doubt I will get a new arm just by asking my dealer.
__________________

__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, dometic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.