Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
Well my refrigerator is doing it's THING again. Has not be normal temp since 4 pm Friday. This is Saturday afternoon. Is now 46 and going up. Was on 43 for hours. Come Tuesday I am calling Dometic and Forest River and the repairman I have been working with. After that my lawyer. It's been a year. My patience are gone!!!
Do you have a small battery operated refrigerator fan? I have always used this and adjusted the cooling sensor along with an refrigerator themoter. This seem to maintain the refrige temps. I always traveled with the refrige on auto this will allow the unit to switch between propane and electrical use.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #22

Its a 4 door frig and no it does not have a fan . I always run on auto so it will switch in case electric goes out. I have run it on only gas and it still goes up and stays. It usually runs 32 - 34 . It has finally gotten down to 39 . It started up about 4 Fri and now Sat evening. It may be 33 by morning. It has done this since it was new a year ago.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:14 AM   #23

that sounds like a floating blockage. does it do it on propane as well? will it do it with the vent covers off? id look to see unobstructed air flow over the coils. then be sure I was level. you can wire the heater elements direct to 110. that would be the standard test that should have been performed by the dometic center to test the coils. when wired direct, if the unit warms intermittantly its a core issue. floating blockages usually occur when a refer is operated out of level, but the mfg honors warranty.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 AM   #24
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mica38 View Post
We have a 2013 34rlsa cedar creek. We have to travel with the refrig running on propane or will lose our food. Last week we traveled 30 miles which took us approximately 45 minutes. The refrig was filled the night before only with cold or frozen food. The outside temp was about 82 degrees when we left home and thought since going only a short distance, could travel with frig turned off. When we reached our destination the inside frig temp was 42 degrees. What might the problem be?
Meanwhile, back at the OP's thread...

I don't think you have a problem. At 82 degrees OAT and depending on the airflow around the RV and especially in the vicinity of the external vents, a rise of 10 degrees does not appear to be exceptional. It is consistent with our our experience. We used to run with gas on to safeguard those precious perishables. No more. The potential implications of being in an accident with gas plumbing full of pressurized propane is significant. So we don't. We've successfully kept the reefer at acceptable temperatures with strategically placed ice packs for upwards of 10-12 hrs in summer time temperatures.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #25

the fittings that hook to the LP tanks are "excess flow POLs". take the hose off a reg and hook it to a tank sometime. if you throw the valve open you wont get squat for propane. its perfectly safe to travel with it on. if you have a line rupture a plunger shuts off the flow. and I score a double thread jack...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #26

[QUOTE=Crockett;872366]that sounds like a floating blockage. does it do it on propane as well? will it do it with the vent covers off? id look to see unobstructed air flow over the coils. then be sure I was level. you can wire the heater elements direct to 110. that would be the standard test that should have been performed by the dometic center to test the coils. when wired direct, if the unit warms intermittantly its a core issue. floating blockages usually occur when a refer is operated out of level, but the mfg honors warranty.[/Q
We have auto level so that can't be it. Have had both mother boards replaced and coils are ok. Added insulation and ran on an outside battery for a week as per Dometic instructions to repairman. Nothing has worked. So I am going to show my temper Tue. and get a new frig . It's has not worked right since new. Dealer has been worthless so kicked them down the road.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #27

Still have not gotten new frig. Dometic was suppose to call back this week but of course no call. It's been over a year. Has not worked right since 1st trip out. Not sure what good a warranty is. It is under warranty but means nothing to the dealer, FR, and Dometic.

2014 Silverback 31RK
Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #28

I have a 4 door Dometic and mine works better off electric than on propane. Our stays at 33 deg. on electric and 35 to 38 on propane.
They should warranty your fridge. no question.
Have you tried it both ways to see which works best, propane or electric. On electric there are 2 heating elements if one is bad that would explain bad performance. If it works bad on propane then low gas pressure could be the cause. Kink in gas line possibly or faulty regulator.
Hope they fix it for you.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #29

It works about the same on propane but the temp does not go as high on propane. It has stayed on as high as 53 for up to 48 hours. The last time out it was 46 for the high and 36 hours before it got back to 33 on electric.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #30

This is what I was asking about.

Fridge Airator - Camco 44123 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World

This solved my issues with the propane/electric refrigerator not keeping the items stored in the unit cold enough. You need to move the air around in these units in order for the cooling process to work efficiently. Just like your home refrigerator has a fan in it to move air these units need one also. But they are not made with one. Why? I do not know. I used this on my last two 5er's that had the Dometic in it and the other had a Norcord refrigerator in it.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #31

This frig is suppose to cycle up in the middle of the night and defrost the fins and go back down in 2 hours, but mine forgets to go back down. It is to do this every 48 - 60 hours. So don't think the fan would help.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Why would you not turn the refrig on even for short travels. I always have mine on no mater the distance. This will cure your problem by always turning on. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #33

For the heck of it, when it starts to rise, take the vent cover off the outside and bang on the coils. See if the temp drops.

Dometic says it releases a blockage in the coils.

I am awaiting replacement of my cooling unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Loringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #34

Had A bad frig from the 1st trip out. Now after more than a year My new frig has arrived at my new dealer. Took a lot of work on my part, no help from former dealer or FR. Took many trips to several dealers and lots of hoops to jump thru for Dometic ( some kind of stupid) but it has finally arrived and will be installed next week. Not convinced warranty mean much to people. It will be nice not to have to carry coolers along so when the frig quits working right the food won't spoil.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #35

Our first trip out was last week in a 33IK frig would not go below 43 at night and rose to 49 during the day goes in next week for testing. One would think it should just be replaced but Dometic is requiring all sorts of testing to make sure it is installed and vented correctly, as well as electrical etc. Had small frig fan in and it did not help. Told dealer just want a unit that works correctly its that simple, Dealer wants to swap it out they are trying their best to make this happen.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #36

Good luck Rich My dealer was no help at all, I should say my former dealer. FR was no help. It took over a year and a few legal threats but I am finally getting it replaced. I did a lot of research and found a person with the same frig had the same trouble in 2009. You would think Dometic would not use that frig. I jumped thru so many hoops . Still did not work even after both mother boards were replaced. Hope yours does not take as long as mine. Karen
Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #37

After first trip out found all the food in refrigerator ruined. Our dometic was dead. So I research a little and found it was $700 for the cooling unit the a bunch of labor. I the stopped by the local dealer to see what the use for a residential refrigerator in the new SilverBacks. Went online with model number and got dimensions. Then bought one at sears for $450 and a inverter on Amazon for $360. I have the refrigerator in but still working on the inverter.
We now have a lot more space and its cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435027283901.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	80817  
Jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, dometic