Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #21

We use a "rubber" door stopper to wedge it open when traveling. it does NOT move.
Benefit: you can check potential shifting stuff in MBR when you stop.
You can also crawl across the bed and get clothes out of the main MBR closet without opening a slide.

Old habit. Former 5er with std pinbox was a lot less road forgiving than present Trailair. 5000 towed miles and nothing has even shifted on the bed.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #22

Same thing happened to me, I screwed it in place.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
That would be a good way to fix it. I went out myself yesterday, I said what is wrong with this fireplace. Started to check and all 6 screws pulled out of the frame. They use composite wood not solid wood. I told my wife and said hell I hope my over head cabinets don't fall off the wall..
My cabinets did fall of the wall, at least partially. When I fixed them I found that every screw that had been put in to hold them had missed the studs and were only being held in place by the thin wallboard.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #24

Your picture looks like the frame board didn't have a full backing behind it all the way, either. You should make sure the board is flat against the wall mounting and it is even all the way. You may need to put in some filler board if it isn't. Everybody is right, screw and glue, but, watch the construction glues since sometimes it is hard to get the squeeze out off without messing up the finish. Plain old TightBond or Elmer's wood glue should do the trick as well (get the premium stuff). If the door is still attached, I would remove it before trying to reset the board, then put the door back on after the glue and screws have set. You may want to drill pilot holes in your board (not the wall) so the screws don't split the board (and countersink holes if the screws are flared at the top). Takes a bit longer, but, gives a nicer finish. Also, twin thread cabinet screws might work better than regular wood screws since they have a courser thread which will probably hold better in the particle board walls and luan paneling. As was said earlier, make sure you get the right size screw (you can use the original staples as a measurement). Take your time with it, plan each step, clamp in place if possible before screwing down. Make sure the door will go back correctly when you attach it. With glue, this will be a "permanent" repair and won't come off so easily the next time, so plan carefully and enjoy the job you did!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobneal69 View Post
My cabinets did fall of the wall, at least partially. When I fixed them I found that every screw that had been put in to hold them had missed the studs and were only being held in place by the thin wallboard.
On boy I wish you didn't tell me that, how did you find the studs to repair it?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
On boy I wish you didn't tell me that, how did you find the studs to repair it?
On my 2015 320RS the cabinets above the sink were pulling away from the wall. I decided I needed to tear into something to see what the problem was. I decided the best way to do this would be to go through the wall in the coat closet. At least if I tore something up it would be somewhat hidden. I started by pulling off the trim. The small piece of trim in the coat closet was held by 13 brads. The other two pieces were held by 10 and 8 brads, so they were all well attached. I then managed to remove the also well attached closet wall so that I could see behind the kitchen cabinet. The problem was instantly evident. The screws used to attach the right side of the cabinet to the wall had all missed the brace intended to secure the screws. The cabinet was being held only by the screws going into the very thin wallboard. I am not a carpenter and know very little about carpentry, but I fixed it the best way I could think of. I used "L" brackets to attach the side of the cabinet to the brace. At the top I used two "L" brackets, one going into the brace and one going into a 2X4. Hopefully this will keep the cabinet from falling off onto the floor. Actually I think it is very secure now and it does not look as bad as it could have. The dishes block the view of the "L" brackets. I put my coat closet back together and it didn't look bad either. I have attached pictures showing what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	124865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (25).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	124866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (26).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	124867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (29).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	124868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (32).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	124869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (33).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	124870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet repair Kitchen (35).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	124871  
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #27

Good call on the L brackets. Looks like a pretty solid repair.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door