Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #21

Here is what I have done in our 29 RE and it works for me. I have added two six volt golf cart batteries in series for an additional 12 volts. The original 12 deep cycle volt that came with the trailer remains in place. This is how I pieced it altogether, first I added a battery selector switch which allows me to select batt 1, batt 2, both or off. Off really means off absolutely nothing powered, it also means if plugged into shore power batteries are not charging, so to charge batteries you simply select both!!! Now the feed from the battery select switch go to the OEM bus bar and after that it's all factory. I select the 2-6's to provide most if not all of my required power (boondocking), I monitor them with my tri-metric batt monitor. I also ran a 2 ga, wire from the bus bar to a 1000 watt psw inverter just on the other side of the bulkhead from the bus bar. Inverter is controlled by a remote inside the RV. and it only powers the entertainment system thru a 3 way sw. Why all this? Well I think it answers some of the debate on 6 volt versus 12 volt, because the 12 volt is hardly used, and can be an emerg backup in the event of one or both of the 6's failing. The 6's provide more available power than one 12 v, and I believe are more of a true deep cycle. This of course is only my opinion and my solution for boondock camping. P.S. Solar yet to come after more research! Keep on camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv batt.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	89771  
Old 09-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #22

We have always run dual 6 volts and don't have any issues with them.
If we are going to be boon docking I use 4 cr395 out of my floor scrubber mounted in the back of the truck and connected with heavy cables and 400 amp clamp ends to the existing batteries. They are too heavy for the tongue at 121# each. Can get a week easily out of that set up. We use a 1000 and a 1500 watt invertor for our 110v needs, coffee pot micro wave etc
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #23

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443143726.042415.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  40.0 KB

Here is what the factory recommends for 4-6 volt batteries.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #24

single or double, confusing LEDs ...your talking to idiots that are b.s ing you. I got four....that's right 4 and it all adds up to 12 volts with amps plenty. So I run a 3000 watt invertor, so my wife can run her hair dryer etc and even a built in vacuum. To charge my batteries I have 450 Watts of solar panels on the roof....how did I do this, go to ...handy Bobs site. Read it, it'll guide you in the right direction
contractor Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
We have always run dual 6 volts and don't have any issues with them.
If we are going to be boon docking I use 4 cr395 out of my floor scrubber mounted in the back of the truck and connected with heavy cables and 400 amp clamp ends to the existing batteries. They are too heavy for the tongue at 121# each. Can get a week easily out of that set up. We use a 1000 and a 1500 watt invertor for our 110v needs, coffee pot micro wave etc
WOW!
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #26

I kinda knew he didn't know what he was talking about, my brain was screaming you're talking to an idiot, but my mind was like well maybe this trailer is different...lol lol . I don't do a lot of boondocking, too old for that got to have power for the blender, TV, AC, ETC ETC lol lol...or I would do the 6 volt setup like I use to run. Now days I do like to have the second battery in case I got to Walmart it a night and need the furnace to run all night. I have learned my dealers service department is a joke so far........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
I have learned my dealers service department is a joke so far........
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. That is the primary reason this site is so successful. Bad dealer backshops.

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery