Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
...Hopefully, more and more of the older campgrounds and govt parks will update for the larger campers that folks are pulling. We are spoiled!
We too are spoiled. That's what makes it so hard to change. Cheyenne Mt. CO is one of the few updated Govt parks and, IMO, a poster child for what a Govt RV park should be. But in today's economy, I don't think we will be seeing many of those any time soon and we aren't getting any younger.
__________________

__________________
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
We too are spoiled. That's what makes it so hard to change. Cheyenne Mt. CO is one of the few updated Govt parks and, IMO, a poster child for what a Govt RV park should be. But in today's economy, I don't think we will be seeing many of those any time soon and we aren't getting any younger.
If you're talking about Cheyenne Mountain State Park it wasn't updated, it's a new park. That park just opened in 2006.

Fifth wheel manufacturers continue to make them longer, taller, and heavier, while public campgrounds remain the same.
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If you want "quality" then you're going to need to pay for it.
If your read post #1 you might note the qualifiers contained within. It so happens that we looked at 1/2 ton towables. Your model included. Look at the options available and note the long list of "N/A Lite". Then take a look at Standards and Options for the Creeks. It now becomes obvious that entry level 5ers fall far short of the mark. So yes, you do have to pony up for quality. However, you don't have to
be Warren Buffett to get reasonable quality. That's why we did pay up for our Creek and appropriate TV. Sooooo, one might conclude that your input falls a bit short of an epiphany and misses the helpful mark by a tad.
__________________
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
We looked at the Winslow rear kitchen. DW doesn't like the walk thru bath and no res fridge. Spacecrafts smallest chassis is 31'. Then there is the outta this world price tag...







Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
If your read post #1 you might note the qualifiers contained within. It so happens that we looked at 1/2 ton towables. Your model included. Look at the options available and note the long list of "N/A Lite". Then take a look at Standards and Options for the Creeks. It now becomes obvious that entry level 5ers fall far short of the mark. So yes, you do have to pony up for quality. However, you don't have to
be Warren Buffett to get reasonable quality. That's why we did pay up for our Creek and appropriate TV. Sooooo, one might conclude that your input falls a bit short of an epiphany and misses the helpful mark by a tad.

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
You wouldn't consider a small class a motor home?
__________________
frozen tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
You wouldn't consider a small class a motor home?
We had an opportunity to be in a Dutch Star for less $$$ than we spent on the CC and F350. Same reason still holds true now. We did consider it again. We liked the Winne 27N. Now we would take a hit on the CC and the TV, both 12's. Then we would have to get a new toad. We think that's not a good economic decision although doable. We still need 2 years of use to justify the F350. So it's 5er or TC or keep what we have.
__________________
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Forget the cgs you can't get into for 2 yrs and get a small mh and then go visit those cgs you missed.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
If you're talking about Cheyenne Mountain State Park it wasn't updated, it's a new park. That park just opened in 2006.

Fifth wheel manufacturers continue to make them longer, taller, and heavier, while public campgrounds remain the same.
That's the one. I used the word updated to mean the latest state of technology and design rather than rehab, refurbish or renovate which
apply to an existing facility.


I concur with your assessment of the RV industry business model. That
is precisely the causal factor for the subject of my OP.
__________________
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
Have you looked at Northwood Mfng?
Arctic Fox and Fox Mountain fivers and Wolf Creek TC's.
Northwood Manufacturing
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #20
Former Full Timer
 
Duckogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Have you looked at Northwood Mfng? Arctic Fox and Fox Mountain fivers and Wolf Creek TC's. Northwood Manufacturing
Yes. We looked at the AF 1150 TC. Too small. The Fox Mountain & Wolf Creek lines are not contenders. We are looking at the Silver Fox 27-5. Our friends in CO have a Fox and we liked it but it's a 35'er.
Having a hard time finding a Dealer.
__________________

__________________
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.