Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Certified Curmudgeon

Downsizing Dilemma

We have been exploring the possibility of
downsizing our 36CKTS. We bought it in 2012 with the intent of full timing. We did that for a year and enjoyed it very much. The economy recently presented us with an opportunity to buy some property in an area that we were spending 8 months in anyway. That leaves us 4 months of travel.
We took a short 10,000 mile trip this year and explored New England and the Maritimes. We also drove the entire Natchez Trace Pkwy. There were an awful lot of campgrounds, both government (including provincial) and private that we wanted to stop at but we didn't fit!
So we have been looking for a 5er that is 30' or less that is of similar quality and basic floor plan of the 36CKTS and equally equipped.
Here's what we have found;
Zilch

Short of having a NH Summit 29' custom made, is it true that there is nothing of quality out there for ex-full timers that still travel and want to go where Creeks don't fit without giving up "Creeker Comforts"?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Hey Duck, try looking at the Creek sight, they have a new 32RL. We had a 30 footer for about a dozen years and constantly looked for something longer all the time. The 32RL may be a solution with the same quality as your CKTS.

DRV has the 32RSE @ 33'8" & a 34 RESA (length tbd) & a 36 RS3 that's 36'11"

If I ever get to the point where money is no object my choice would probably be a Suite with MorRyde IS & Kodiak discs!

Travel safe & keep rubber side down.

Mikey
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
... try looking at the Creek sight, they have a new 32RL.
The CC 32RL would be perfect if it was 30' or less. It's 35'8". For clarity, 31'+ is out. We could probably fudge up to 30'5" but that would be it. Anything larger just will not fit where we want to go. We are actually looking at Truck Campers as an alternative. Host Mammoth, Eagle Cap 1165 and Lance 1172.
Palomino used to make a WinterCreek model but it appears it was deep 6'd when Forest River bought them up. The new Palomino's don't reach the bar. No interest in tag alongs.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #4

We came from a truck camper to our CC 5th wheel and discovered the same thing as you... we couldn't find anything under 30' of any quality or floor plan we desired.

I really miss the TC... the ability to camp just about anywhere was great. They can be very comfortable... but there is next to nothing for storage space. We had a small 9 footer (plus the overhead) and found only one person could really do anything at a time... like cook, dress, clean or move about. We still really enjoyed it but I couldn't imagine living in it for any real length of time.

If at all possible I would like to have both a TC and 5er!

Good luck with your new adventure.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #5

That is a dilemma, Ducky. We love our 36CKTS so much that I can't see downsizing at all. However, we have found a few places where we would not fit. We haven't traveled much yet, as we are waiting for that magical day when I can get Medicare. We are about to leave for a trip to Desoto State Park in AL and they have large pull through sites. Hopefully, more and more of the older campgrounds and govt parks will update for the larger campers that folks are pulling. We are spoiled!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

I hate to mention other brands but I think Excel makes one that short and they will customize one somewhat, but if I had the money I would go with NH , or Spacecraft.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
I hate to mention other brands but I think Excel makes one that short and they will customize one somewhat, but if I had the money I would go with NH , or Spacecraft.
We looked at the Winslow rear kitchen. DW doesn't like the walk thru bath and no res fridge. Spacecrafts smallest chassis is 31'. Then there is the outta this world price tag...
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

The choices for a high quality short fifth wheel are very limited. Forest River certainly doesn't offer anything like that. You would have one more option if you considered a travel trailer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

I thought you could change the bathroom in the Excel and get a residential fridge
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
We looked at the Winslow rear kitchen. DW doesn't like the walk thru bath and no res fridge. Spacecrafts smallest chassis is 31'. Then there is the outta this world price tag...

If you want "quality" then you're going to need to pay for it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
...Hopefully, more and more of the older campgrounds and govt parks will update for the larger campers that folks are pulling. We are spoiled!
We too are spoiled. That's what makes it so hard to change. Cheyenne Mt. CO is one of the few updated Govt parks and, IMO, a poster child for what a Govt RV park should be. But in today's economy, I don't think we will be seeing many of those any time soon and we aren't getting any younger.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
We too are spoiled. That's what makes it so hard to change. Cheyenne Mt. CO is one of the few updated Govt parks and, IMO, a poster child for what a Govt RV park should be. But in today's economy, I don't think we will be seeing many of those any time soon and we aren't getting any younger.
If you're talking about Cheyenne Mountain State Park it wasn't updated, it's a new park. That park just opened in 2006.

Fifth wheel manufacturers continue to make them longer, taller, and heavier, while public campgrounds remain the same.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
If you want "quality" then you're going to need to pay for it.
If your read post #1 you might note the qualifiers contained within. It so happens that we looked at 1/2 ton towables. Your model included. Look at the options available and note the long list of "N/A Lite". Then take a look at Standards and Options for the Creeks. It now becomes obvious that entry level 5ers fall far short of the mark. So yes, you do have to pony up for quality. However, you don't have to
be Warren Buffett to get reasonable quality. That's why we did pay up for our Creek and appropriate TV. Sooooo, one might conclude that your input falls a bit short of an epiphany and misses the helpful mark by a tad.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:

Quote:
If your read post #1 you might note the qualifiers contained within. It so happens that we looked at 1/2 ton towables. Your model included. Look at the options available and note the long list of "N/A Lite". Then take a look at Standards and Options for the Creeks. It now becomes obvious that entry level 5ers fall far short of the mark. So yes, you do have to pony up for quality. However, you don't have to
be Warren Buffett to get reasonable quality. That's why we did pay up for our Creek and appropriate TV. Sooooo, one might conclude that your input falls a bit short of an epiphany and misses the helpful mark by a tad.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #15

You wouldn't consider a small class a motor home?
frozen tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
You wouldn't consider a small class a motor home?
We had an opportunity to be in a Dutch Star for less $$$ than we spent on the CC and F350. Same reason still holds true now. We did consider it again. We liked the Winne 27N. Now we would take a hit on the CC and the TV, both 12's. Then we would have to get a new toad. We think that's not a good economic decision although doable. We still need 2 years of use to justify the F350. So it's 5er or TC or keep what we have.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Forget the cgs you can't get into for 2 yrs and get a small mh and then go visit those cgs you missed.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
If you're talking about Cheyenne Mountain State Park it wasn't updated, it's a new park. That park just opened in 2006.

Fifth wheel manufacturers continue to make them longer, taller, and heavier, while public campgrounds remain the same.
That's the one. I used the word updated to mean the latest state of technology and design rather than rehab, refurbish or renovate which
apply to an existing facility.

I concur with your assessment of the RV industry business model. That
is precisely the causal factor for the subject of my OP.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #19

Have you looked at Northwood Mfng?
Arctic Fox and Fox Mountain fivers and Wolf Creek TC's.
Northwood Manufacturing
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Have you looked at Northwood Mfng? Arctic Fox and Fox Mountain fivers and Wolf Creek TC's. Northwood Manufacturing
Yes. We looked at the AF 1150 TC. Too small. The Fox Mountain & Wolf Creek lines are not contenders. We are looking at the Silver Fox 27-5. Our friends in CO have a Fox and we liked it but it's a 35'er.
Having a hard time finding a Dealer.