Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

Electric holding tank dump valves

Does anyone have experience with either the Valterra or Drainmaster electric holding tank dump valves?I am fed up with with the cable system.Cables keep stretching and need adjusting all time.Genuine PITA.Looking to replace with something better.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba964 View Post
Does anyone have experience with either the Valterra or Drainmaster electric holding tank dump valves?I am fed up with with the cable system.Cables keep stretching and need adjusting all time.Genuine PITA.Looking to replace with something better.
I have had experience with Drain Master. I have installed them on the last 3 Trailers (2 5th wheels and 1 TT) I have owned. I have had a great experience with each one. I too got fed up with the cable mess and changed to the Drain Master. Matter of fact, I'm changing them on the 5th wheel I recently bought.

A real plus is the folks at Drain Master, are great to deal with. Every time I have needed anything they have been great to deal with. Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Head Rambler

I've not changed them on this unit yet, but I like the Barker Auto-Drain. You just add the motor/gearbox to your existing valves.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

I don't think I need a couple more electric motors to deal with, especially on my dump tubes in an enclosed trailer belly. I'm happily sticking with the manual valves that all 12 of my RV's have had and never failed me in 30 years.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #5

Rollin Okie thanks for your input. Manual slide valves are fine. But put a cable to them and they're terrible.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba964 View Post
There is an old saying "Be careful what you wish for." I have a Day Dreamer which came with Drain Master electric dump valves. Cedar Creek did not install these as recommended by Drain Master and they proved unreliable. Talk about a PITA. I replaced the 2 grey tank ones with new valves and got them installed properly. So far so good. The Black Tank one is a little more difficult to get at if it fails. I could not get the valve in a good position so I replaced with a cable valve..
I've own a couple of RV's with cable valves and never had a problem. A little lubrication every now an then and they are good to go..
Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

My Barker installation, so far so good.

http://youtu.be/KEhw0S96l6I

http://youtu.be/brBHL_gilR4

2016 XLR 375 AMP Thunderbolt
2014 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW (Fully Deleted)
darvinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #8

I am having nothing but problems with my cables on my 2014 35qb4. The two black tank valves are not working at all. Glad I had installed a manual valve at the end of the pipe. Really leaning towards electric valves as this is the second cable that has failed on the front tank. Really getting tired of having to dump both black tanks and service them when all I really want to do is dump the shower tank.

Cedar Creek 35QB4
Old 09-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
DDC

This looks like a great idea, my Silverback is only a few months old and I am already having trouble with the black tank cable, it is a very crude and poor design, it would have been ok if it was a push and pull system. If I can figure out how to get to the valves without destroying the plastic covering under the trailer I see this as a beneficial upgrade.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

OP--Cheek out this thread:

Replacment sewer drain valves

It describes me asking the same questions you are about 2 years ago, and my solution. Feel free to post or PM with any questions.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, tank, valve