Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #11

Probably not the cord itself but in the straight plug to the trailer. Most can be taken apart and just reattached. Then get the 90 degree dog bone off Amazon or EBay.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #12

I had a wire pull loose inside one connector of my shore power cable. I was fortunate to notice the wire jacket pulling free of the plug. I was amazed that the cable and connectors were all not well torqued down and fixed it before using it.

Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
Probably not the cord itself but in the straight plug to the trailer. Most can be taken apart and just reattached. Then get the 90 degree dog bone off Amazon or EBay.
The Open Netrual was in the cord itself. Brand new cord.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #14

I use an internal Surge Guard. It checks the neutral and will tell you and not connect if shore power is not correct. Strongly recommended.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #15

I've had the external (38450) Surge Guard for years. Since the problem was in the cord where it connects to the trailer, it didn't help.

I've looked at switching to a hard wired system and think I will. If I had an internal Surge Guard it would have protected the trailer from all this.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I've had the external (38450) Surge Guard for years. Since the problem was in the cord where it connects to the trailer, it didn't help.

I've looked at switching to a hard wired system and think I will. If I had an internal Surge Guard it would have protected the trailer from all this.
While an external Surge Guard can detect power problems upstream of itself (the power pedestal), as you note it can't detect or protect your RV from a downstream malfunction. So, a problem in the shore power cord between the portable Surge Guard and your RV can result in a dangerous voltage condition, especially a hot-skin voltage. Shore power and extension cords lead a rough life, so regular cleaning and inspection of them is very important to keeping you and your RV safe from electrical problems.

Mike Sokol
The No~Shock~Zone
Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Another good case for a hardwired ems from proggresive!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

When I purchased my internal Surge Guard, I was concerned about just this kind of situation. I also worried about theft and setup convenience. I have moved this unit to each new camper I've purchased. Only down side is it hums for awhile after it energizes. I also have the wired remote for it mounted on my switch panel. All of this came from a campground where lightning hit a pedestal feeding 2 campers. One had a Surge Guard which exploded but saved the camper. The other camper lost everything electrical and was stuck there for weeks until parts could be delivered.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #19

Well nothing really to update. We took the trailer in on Wednesday Sept. 23rd they said they would get to it within a week and let us know. As you can tell it's been over a week and they haven't looked at it yet. Hopefully Monday the 5th we might know something.

We have had multiple RV's and still today it boggles my mind that a RV dealer can be so far off base. If I ran my business that way I would have been bankrupt years ago.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Well nothing really to update. We took the trailer in on Wednesday Sept. 23rd they said they would get to it within a week and let us know. As you can tell it's been over a week and they haven't looked at it yet. Hopefully Monday the 5th we might know something.
It seems that electrical troubleshooting at many RV dealerships takes way too long. Sometimes it's because there's only one "guy" who does electric. While at others it's simply because they don't understand basic electrical troubleshooting. I've pitched the idea of having large RV dealerships hire me to provide training classes on troubleshooting (something I do for the pro-sound industry already), but it seems that nobody wants to invest in training their own technicians.

Mike Sokol
The No~Shock~Zone

Tags
electric