Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #21

Since you said the unit is new and because it is the power cord, don't let the dealer tell you it is your fail and you have to pay for it. Now if the unit is just new to you and used, then you'll need to get your insurance involved. If it is a new unit, before you even take it to the dealer, call Cedar Creek and get them involved. Cedar Creek Customer Service (260) 593-4000, speak with Denise Davis or Justin Day, that's what they are there for Justin or Denise are both easy to work with!!!

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #22

Thanks Mike, I'll contact Cedar Creek Monday morning.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
RV Electricity Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1poles View Post
Since you said the unit is new and because it is the power cord, don't let the dealer tell you it is your fail and you have to pay for it.
If the power cord that failed was the shore power cord supplied with the RV, and everything was new, then I would agree that the manufacturer would be on the hook for the repair. However, if this was your own extension cord or some kind of dog-bone adapter, then you yourself are liable for the damage. The danger of split-phase 120/240 volt distribution (the most common system in the USA) is that a neutral opening up will allow the 240 volt line-to-line potential to divide unevenly, so instead of 120/120 volts, some of your equipment will be getting maybe 60 volts, while everything else is getting 180 volts. That's when the light bulbs blow up and the appliances start smoking. I have a really cool demonstration of that effect in my NSZ seminars.

Mike Sokol
No Shock Zone
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #24

The trailer was/is brand new it's a 2016 36CKTS and yes it came with the power cord that is the problem.

We picked up the trailer on the 26th of August and took it home and hooked it up. Our first trip was on the 6th of September returning the 19th of September.

When we got home we backed the trailer into it's normal spot, disconnected the trailer, leveled it, put the slides out and then plugged it in without issue. I plugged the cord into the trailer and secured it. Then I plugged a Surge Guard (34850) into a 50AMP plug on the side of my shop then the cord that came with the trailer into that. No issues at that point and the Surge Guard also did not indicate any issue. We went into the house to get it all turned on after being away for a couple of weeks.

We came back out later to clean and unload the trailer and because of the Texas heat the first thing I did was turn on the Air Conditioner, as they started up the Dish 211Z started billowing white smoke, the microwave started flashing, my wife who had the fridge open and the control panel started flashing like a strobe lights.

I pulled the AC plug on the 211Z and ran into the shop and threw the breaker for the 50A plug. The inverter was squealing so I turned it off and completely unplugged the 211Z and took it outside.

I unplugged the cord from the shop along with the Surge Guard and disconnected the cord from the trailer. I went in and looked the trailer over and saw no other damage or smelled any thing like burnt stuff. I spent the rest of the afternoon looking at all the systems and not seeing any damage. I really don't know anything about electricity so this was just visual. I started the inverter but the fridge didn't come on so I shut it off.

My neighbor said I probably had an Open Neutral, I had no idea what that was so I called an electrician to come look at it. Everything was unplugged and he started at the 50Amp plug mounted on the shop, it was normal, plugged in the surge guard it too was normal, plugged in the cord (that came with the trailer) and found an Open Neutral in the plug that connects to the trailer. We stopped there.

I called the dealer Monday the 21st and took it in on Wednesday the 23rd, where it has sat untouched since then despite promises to the contrary.

In the morning (Monday) I am going to call Cedar Creek and get them in the loop. Right now I have no idea what short/long term damage may have been caused by the defective cord.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #25

Well we finally got the trailer back yesterday and it appears all is well.

I’m not going to get into a diatribe regarding the dealer other to say when we went in Monday to pick it up it hadn’t been repaired and I found someone I had the feeling could get things done at the dealership, who also offered to deliver the trailer to my house by Wednesday and it was at my house Tuesday late morning.

It appears the open neutral in the cord didn’t do extensive damage, it did however take out the Dish 211z, the converter and the inverter. Which was replaced and the cord as well.

We are leaving for a Field Trial in Oklahoma and will have a few days to shake it down, hopefully nothing pops up.

We have had a “portable Surge Guard” for a few years, because the issue was after the SG it didn’t protect the trailer. If we had a hardwired SG in the trailer all of this would not have been an issue. We would have quickly discovered the issue with the cord and just replaced it. I will be installing a hardwired surge guard immediately.

Tags
electric