Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Electric Rear Stabilizers

During a recent stay in Brunswick, GA, I had the chance to speak to two other 2014 Silverback owners. As owners do, we discussed various issues about our "ownership experience.” One real surprising topic kept topping the conversation. Counting two Silverback owners I met in Georgia and one in the Grand Canyon campground, all three were missing their $600 electric stabilizer jacks.

I explained how mine was charged on the invoice along with an electric reel but both were missing when the dealer tried to deliver the Coach to me. Interesting enough, when all three checked their invoices, they were clearly charged on their invoices also, but were missing from their fifth wheels.

Checking the rigs revealed that they were not removed but never installed. Isn’t that kind of like charging you for an option and seeing if the customer remembers to look for it?

So, what are the odds that I would meet three other Cedar Creek Silverback owners of two different models 29IK, 33RL owners, four counting me, that had the same $600 missing parts?

After speaking to the Cedar Creek tech people, they indicated the rear jacks are needed. They explained this is due to the level up hydraulic system legs being directly behind the rear wheel do not provide enough stabilization to the rig when parked.

This for a fact we understand. During the two month wait for my electric stabilizer jacks to be sent to the dealer (Giant Recreation World) and then installed, I was very aware of the extremely animated movement when walking about inside the Coach. (this fact also pointed out by three other owners as well)

Zoo1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

I have a 2014 33RL that came with electric stabilizers but don't use them. I do not have the hydraulic leveling system. The stabilizers are very slow to extend and retract. They also will not support as much of a load as the scissor jacks I put on. The scissor jacks are from a previous 5th wheel I had. You can jack up the back end if you want to with these. I use my dewalt to raise and lower the jacks. Much faster and can put more weight on them. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421002190.620346.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	68320Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421002206.670758.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	68321

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I hacksawed a slot in a 1/2" socket. This with a short extention w/adapter and a dewalt driver/drill allows operation of the electric stablizers from the other side.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

I would never use stabilizers for jacks or lifting as they are not designed to handle that much load. They are there to dampen the moment caused by so much arm from the wheel datum.
Eliminate the rest
Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
I have a 2014 33RL that came with electric stabilizers but don't use them. I do not have the hydraulic leveling system. The stabilizers are very slow to extend and retract. They also will not support as much of a load as the scissor jacks I put on. The scissor jacks are from a previous 5th wheel I had. You can jack up the back end if you want to with these. I use my dewalt to raise and lower the jacks. Much faster and can put more weight on them. Attachment 68320Attachment 68321

If you're willing to yank those electric ones off, I'm betting you could find a buyer pretty easily. I'd love to get an electric pair, have OldCoot fatten up and install them in front of my axles. Hint, I'll be in Florida again this summer...
Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

They are called stabilizers vs jacks for a reason. I also do not have the hydraulic leveling system. You can easily place plastic stacking blocks under the stabilizer footing and cut your operation time by 75%. On my Keystone I used a portable drill and it worked ok as well. I used blocks on that unit also. I never stressed the frame by trying to lift it even with jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Reading this thread, I'm thinking that I need to read the invoice on our CC 38FL again to see if I was charged for electric stabilizers since I had to stop the "rocking" with a pair of scissor jacks myself.....didn't even occur to me that Forest River would charge somebody for stuff they didn't install. Maybe it was one of those "dealer installed" options?
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

My dealer sheepishly agreed that the electric jacks where supposed to be installed along with and electric reel as per the charged invoice.
SCPO (SO) US Navy Ret
1974/1999
Eliminate the rest
Old 01-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo1392 View Post
My dealer sheepishly agreed that the electric jacks where supposed to be installed along with and electric reel as per the charged invoice.
SCPO (SO) US Navy Ret
1974/1999
Well, well, well..... checking the build sheet for our 38FL, seems that we paid for electric rear stabilizers when we opted for the $6,525 "Explorer Package" but they never ended up on the rig

Now the fun begins - was it a factory error or was the dealership supposed to install the stabilizers prior to delivery?

Stay tuned

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 01-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Yep. we had the same "Explorer Package" Maybe call it the "exploring your wallet package" listed items on the invoice,,but not installed.
If you find out whom got the money in the end most likely the dealer, you have found the folks who stole your money. But there has to be some sort of secret handshake between the dealers and Cedar Creek to make this happen.
Eliminate the rest
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
I have a 2014 33RL that came with electric stabilizers but don't use them. I do not have the hydraulic leveling system. The stabilizers are very slow to extend and retract. They also will not support as much of a load as the scissor jacks I put on. The scissor jacks are from a previous 5th wheel I had. You can jack up the back end if you want to with these. I use my dewalt to raise and lower the jacks. Much faster and can put more weight on them. Attachment 68320Attachment 68321

The intent and Idea here is being invoiced for things (paying for equipment) and it not being installed.
Eliminate the rest
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
DDC

Can you spell FRAUD. This is amazing and very doubtful that the dealers are doing this, if it was the same dealer then maybe, and I sure would not be waiting for two months to have it corrected.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #13

I guess it makes since that this is something Cedar Creek is doing. I have never met a salesman that really understood whats included on a invoice..
Eliminate the rest
Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #14

Have a 6 point leveling system but the camper rocks so bad. does the stabilizing system that was on your invoices help this . I don't have access to my invoice at this time so no idea if it was on it.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
Have a 6 point leveling system but the camper rocks so bad. does the stabilizing system that was on your invoices help this . I don't have access to my invoice at this time so no idea if it was on it.

You most likely wouldn't have the electric stabilizer, as the 6 point replaces that. To shore up and make the 6 point more solid, you can add supports which triangulate your hydraulic jack stands. There are several different manufacturers for these or you could make your own.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
You most likely wouldn't have the electric stabilizer, as the 6 point replaces that. To shore up and make the 6 point more solid, you can add supports which triangulate your hydraulic jack stands. There are several different manufacturers for these or you could make your own.

Actually, the 6 point leveling system does need a stabilizer as the rear two struts are just behind the wheels on the Silverback and 38FL. It was listed as part of many owners invoices and never installed. Most of us turned to some sort of scissor jack combination to keep the rear of the camper steady. The OP started the thread because he found out that the installation of his electric stabilizers was somehow "overlooked" either by the factory or the dealer, altho he'd been charged for it (as was I).....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #17

My silverback 29IK bounces all day long if the rear stabilizer jacks are not deployed properly. If your a Silverback Owner I suggest you look very closely at your invoice to see if you where charged for the stabilizer but it was left out.
All RV,s,,, from Campers to class A's require stabilization. Anyone that tells you otherwise is not to be trusted..especially if it's the Dealer.
Eliminate the rest
Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #18

I find that on my 31RK, once I set it up, I need to hit the rear stabilizers button a brief second on day 2 and 3 otherwise it shakes quite a bit. So I guess I am saying that they make a world of difference in stability.

Ken
birdman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #19

I have a 2014 Silverback 29IK. The ad for my unit includes in the description rear stabilizer jacks. My unit did not come with them, but did come with the 6 point level up plus most every other option. When I asked the dealer, he said, no, no rear stabilizers, the 6 pt replaces that. Never got an invoice to see if I paid for it or not.

Seems to be a common occurrence here which leads me to believe that all the dealers can't be ripping us off. The 6pt must replace the rear stabilizers...?

However, I do believe there is a need for them.

2014 Silverback 29IK
honker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker View Post
I have a 2014 Silverback 29IK. The ad for my unit includes in the description rear stabilizer jacks. My unit did not come with them, but did come with the 6 point level up plus most every other option. When I asked the dealer, he said, no, no rear stabilizers, the 6 pt replaces that. Never got an invoice to see if I paid for it or not.

Seems to be a common occurrence here which leads me to believe that all the dealers can't be ripping us off. The 6pt must replace the rear stabilizers...?

However, I do believe there is a need for them.
You need to check your build sheet "Honker"....if you have the 6pt level up and your rig is still shaking, the need exists (as you say) for additional stabilization - which many of us paid for, but was not installed on our campers

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL

Tags
electric, stabilizers