Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

electric water heater on and off switch

I picked up a 2018 cedar creek silverback 35IK a few days ago. The water heater works on gas , but not on electric. When I called the dealer he told me there was a switch on the heater and also a switch somewhere inside. The only switch I have found inside the unit is for the gas water heater. You can call me blind but please tell me where I can find the switch.
Thanks for your help!
jeffscuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

electric water heater on and off switch

Go out and remove the black water heater access panel, in the bottom left hand side you should see an on and off switch. Make sure the heater is full of water before turning it on, otherwise, you will burn out your heating element.

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscuda View Post
I picked up a 2018 cedar creek silverback 35IK a few days ago. The water heater works on gas , but not on electric. When I called the dealer he told me there was a switch on the heater and also a switch somewhere inside. The only switch I have found inside the unit is for the gas water heater. You can call me blind but please tell me where I can find the switch.
Thanks for your help!
Dealer wrong. Electric on/off switch only on face of WH (Unless you want to get on the floor and turn off the circuit breaker to it, but no switch). It's behind the WH plate outside. Inside is propane on/off switch. Both can be on at same time. Both can be off at same time. Either can be on by itself. Propane switch has DSI/FLT light so if it stays lit, your propane didn't fire and isn't on.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 PM   #4

If you have a Suburban, your outside switch is here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban-SW6DE-Hot-Water-Heater.jpg
Views:	11483
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	166765

You most likely do NOT have an inside switch. If you did, it would be next to the gas switch, something like this:

Name:   Electric-Gas switch.jpg
Views: 39848
Size:  5.8 KB

although they could be on your control panel with all the other stuff (tank heaters, slide controls, etc.) rather than a separate panel like the one pictured.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 AM   #5
Site Team

If you have a Suburban dual power source tank type water heater in your RV,, we keep a very detailed operational FAQ on the SWDE and SWDEL models at this link below:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Hope it helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

I have a 2017 Silverback 31RK. I bought it off the lot brand new. When I got to our RV park, my water heater had the same symptoms as yours; no hot water on electric but the propane side worked. I did some trouble shooting thinking I had a burned out element. That tested good. I had to drive it back to the dealer, Grrr, for them to work on. They found the thermostat on the heater was bad. They had to replace it. All under warranty but a hassle none the less. The factory had also installed the stove vent in backwards so the air blew down on the stove extinguishing the stove burners. The dealer also fixed that. And I was told Cedar Creek was near the top of Forest River’s products.
schwabmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabmt View Post
..... And I was told Cedar Creek was near the top of Forest River’s products.
Top of the needs most repairs after you take it home list!
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

jeffscuda, check the high temperature limit resets. There is one each for gas and electric under the black square cover at the upper left of rockfordroo's picture. Just push the center of the round things.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #9

Just got back from the maiden voyage in our cc 34re.

There is an on off switch for the gas in the coach panel.

Electric switch left of the drain plug.

Not sure if both will run at the same time.

Note above the electric switch are the two reset buttons.

Ours is 12 gallons. Plenty for two.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Top of the needs most repairs after you take it home list!
So totally negative. We are in our third Cedarcreek and have loved all three of them.

I would never keep an RV that I didn't really like.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Just got back from the maiden voyage in our cc 34re.

There is an on off switch for the gas in the coach panel.

Electric switch left of the drain plug.

Not sure if both will run at the same time.

Note above the electric switch are the two reset buttons.

Ours is 12 gallons. Plenty for two.
tomkatb, yes you can use electric and propane at the same time if you need quicker recovery
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
I have a 2017 Silverback 31RK. I bought it off the lot brand new. When I got to our RV park, my water heater had the same symptoms as yours; no hot water on electric but the propane side worked. I did some trouble shooting thinking I had a burned out element. That tested good. I had to drive it back to the dealer, Grrr, for them to work on. They found the thermostat on the heater was bad. They had to replace it. All under warranty but a hassle none the less. The factory had also installed the stove vent in backwards so the air blew down on the stove extinguishing the stove burners. The dealer also fixed that. And I was told Cedar Creek was near the top of Forest River’s products.
WOW, 2 items wrong with a 2017 and you are complaining???? Not to mention the water heater thermostat was a Suburban problem.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
You ought to sell it and get a better one....................

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #14

Hot water switch

All kidding aside when we purchased our special order 2013 Cedar Creek Touring Addition we could not get hot water, low and behold they forgot to wire it up.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 AM   #15

The same happened to us when we took delivery of our CC34RL2. Most likely the water heater is not plugged in to it's outlet. Access the back of the WH and plug it in to the receptacle found there.
CC does not ship units winterized with antifreeze. There is and never has been any water in the system unless your dealer added some. Rather, after pressure and integrity testing, CC leaves the system pressurized with air and does not plug in the WH to prevent destroying the electric heating element should the switch be selected to ON without water in the tank.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #16

I never understood why the don't wire an inside electric wh switch. I know it would add a little cost but it would be worth it. I've added an inside switch to our last two trailers.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

The two lighted switches are for the hot water heater in my rig.

The one on the gauges is the gas switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerSwitches-P4011898.jpg
Views:	2411
Size:	662.2 KB
ID:	167203  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #18

That's good. I wish Cedar Creeks had that from the factory.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The two lighted switches are for the hot water heater in my rig.

The one on the gauges is the gas switch.
That's the way to do it, run the wire from the breaker through the switch to the hot water tank
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #20

This whole hot water is perplexing, we have the gas/electric unit and have experienced the same issues as posted. It was solved when we understand the issue.

Sadly, one of my areas of expertise happens to be the man-machine interface, also known as the human interface if you are a computer engineer like I am.

We have an electric switch, outside of the 5th wheel on an external wall, not in plain view, not with any clear labeling. The gas switch is inside on the control panel.

Had you worked for me and brought that schematic in for review and approval, chances are you would not be working for me a lot longer.

Our control which is countersunk in the wall and with a door covering it, its at its very best near worthless, its so dark we had to put a light in, IIRC I think only one switch was lighted. The switches are labeled with some kind of lettering that is meaningless to anyone unless you are a code breaker. We pulled all of our switches and installed lighted ones.

I have seriously considered coming out of retirement and going to work as a CEO of a RV mfg. I will work for free if they agree to pay me a bonus of 10% of the increased sales and cost savings from better designed and built to equal fewer warrant claims. I can go back over my last 3 RV's and I am amazed at how much warranty costs there are to companies.

First thing I would do would be change the business model from the 50's model to today's. Put QC back in the model at origin and not depend solely upon the selling agent to warranty the unit.

That would be a start.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, switch, water, water heater