Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Radioman

Electrical Regulator

Hi Everyone,
This is so agravating. Begin typing, then the brouser shuts down and you have start all over gain. So here I go. Recently I obtained (for free) a Autoformer 30 Amp Voltage Regulator. My question is if I'm hooked up to 50 amp service, will this still work. If I hook up to the 30 amp service will I still be able to operate as if I had 50 amp service w/regards to the second AC? If I connect to 50 amp service what if anything will it do to the regulator? These regulators are very expensive units (over $300) from what I've seen on the web site. Thanks for your help.

Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

30 amp no good for 50 amp service. I have been told that they will not work correctly and what good is that. I had a 30 and needed to get a 50 for our new 5er because that is what it is even though our service is only 30 amp. These units are downward compatible only.
For what it's worth I really love mine. It works as it is supposed to and I don't have to worry about appliances being turned off when voltage drops low. Some other devices turn the power off to protect your appliances and I would rather have mine running.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

I've used both 30 amp and 50 amp Autoformers for years, but I can't accurately answer your question. They are not "voltage regulators" but step up transformers with a built in surge supressor for possible voltage spikes. I'd call Hughes at 888.540.1504 and ask them directly about your situation. If you have 50 amp service on your RV ... the 30 amp Autoformer for "free" won't be very beneficial to you if you want to run both A/C's at once. It's only rated at 3600 watts total.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Free is good however I doubt it will work on your 50amp towable. Since the unit only addresses low park voltage and has a bad park circuit detector, it seems to be of little use unless you frequent parks that are grossly underpowered and have "fugazy" wiring. Just a suggestion, you might he better off with a Progressive Ind PMS rather than just a voltage supplement. My reasoning behind that is that the Autoformer trades Amps for volts. If you need 50a and only have 30a, I cannot see how you would be served with less than 30a.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Radioman

Smile Electrical electrical

Thanks for all your help. Having said that, everything said makes sense. Just for info Hughes web site refers to this unit as
Hughes Autoformer RV2130 30 Amp Voltage Regulator
Yuba City, CA. 95993
bjlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical