Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
JJA

Escape window

I thought there was a federal regulation that there had to be two escape routes from each room in an RV. I have a 2012 CC 34RLSA. It does not have an escape window in the bedroom. We bought it new in 12 and didn't realize that there was not an escape window until early this year. I guess we assumed it was the window under the tv. After inspecting it, there's no way it could be an escape, it's too small. Is there anyone else that doesn’t have an escape window in the bedroom. A fire could easily block the door exit.
JJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

NO, the rockwood has a window, you might break a leg but you can get out, then there is a second window in the solon area. Which you would be better going out the door.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Escape window

We have a 3029W Windjammer and there is a window escape behind the couch in the living room and one over our dresser in the bedroom. Both are swivel-up windows with the hinge on the top. I'm not familiar with more escapes than that.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
JJA

I only have two options, the first is to cut a door in the side next to the dresser, or cut a door in the slide behind the headboard, and the latter is what i'm leaning toward. Any thoughts?
Old 11-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Why not change out a window frame for an escape style window frame. Retains structural integrity and serves purpose.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA View Post
I thought there was a federal regulation that there had to be two escape routes from each room in an RV. I have a 2012 CC 34RLSA. It does not have an escape window in the bedroom. We bought it new in 12 and didn't realize that there was not an escape window until early this year. I guess we assumed it was the window under the tv. After inspecting it, there's no way it could be an escape, it's too small. Is there anyone else that doesn’t have an escape window in the bedroom. A fire could easily block the door exit.
Other than being too small, does it have the red locking xscape handles?
Old 11-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
JJA

No window big enough, over dresser is about 12X24 and one each side of slide about 10X16
Old 11-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No window big enough, over dresser is about 12X24 and one each side of slide about 10X16
That is the same size as our escape window in our sabre bedroom. Not easy but do-able. Hope to never need it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

I assume some one has used one at one time , I have never heard of any one using one . Do you have escapes in your house , motel room ,? Myself , I would give it no thoughts or worries at all !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

If there is a place on the roof structure that is framed in for a second AC you can cut that opening out and install a cieling skylite/vent that will also funcion as an escape hatch.Its also a really nice way to acess the roof.I had one in a coachman slide in back in the early 70's,and when I built the Kenworth conversion I had one in the cab over bed and another in the rear bed.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but again I ask do any of them have the red locking handles?

Since you have had it for 3 years and never checked it out, I'm wondering if you even know how escape windows work.

It would be good to find out now before you have a fire.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
That is the same size as our escape window in our sabre bedroom. Not easy but do-able. Hope to never need it.
One Size Fits ALL,is a very Bad Assumption when talking about a Escape Window that is (12" x 24")! Sorry but some People are NOT going to Fit! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #13
CCRVOC

During the FROG Rally in Goshen, DW and I attended the Fire Safety seminar by Mac the FireGuy. It was eye opening and educational! If you have never practiced "escaping" through your bedroom emergency exit window, you need to! DW and I both volunteered during the seminar to escape from a Class A bedroom window. Not easy...and our our 5er bedroom window is better then 6 foot off the ground, a long way to drop for a fat guy. Say nothing of knowing how not to hurt yourself on the red clamps that hold the window. Those red clamps will remove flesh from your gut if you don't cover them up before you slide out the window. I took a 2" pvc pipe and ripped a 1/2" lengthwise so it will fit over the bottom frame and red clamps. Plus I have 2' x 1/2" pvc with tape on each end to use as a prop rod to hold the frameless window up. Otherwise you will be fighting the window to stay open, when time is important. Do yourself a favor, open the emergency exit windows and have a plan on how to use them.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #14

So I guess we are like others...
We only have a " fire escape " window in our sitting area in our 2011 34rlsa?
This being said wonder if any 5th wheel has them in the bedroom?
LJ

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Past RV's: Misc.tents,V.W.Campers('65,'69) 2012 Arctic Fox 25S.
[B]Camping Day's: Never Enough
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #15

Escape window

There's one in the bedroom of my sabre.
I wouldn't fit, and it's a 7foot drop.

But it my fault I don't fit.

I don't expect sabre to make an window to fit every single body size.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #16

My red handle unlocks but then it won't push outwards. The escape window is stuck shut. Also the screen on inside won't stay on. The little plastic clips are no good. I am hoping the glass is tempered so that it will break into tiny little pieces with square edges as opposed to standard glass that will slice you up so bad you bleed to death!
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
My red handle unlocks but then it won't push outwards. The escape window is stuck shut. Also the screen on inside won't stay on. The little plastic clips are no good. I am hoping the glass is tempered so that it will break into tiny little pieces with square edges as opposed to standard glass that will slice you up so bad you bleed to death!
The "escape windows" tend to get stuck shut due to non-use. The rubber on the frame and the window has a tendency to stick together so you need to put some force on it and it WILL OPEN. A good plan is to periodicly open the window so it stays available as an emergency exit when/if it's ever needed!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #18
DDC

Have you ever seen how fast one of these things burn up? Escape is a very slim chance escape window or not.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #19
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Have you ever seen how fast one of these things burn up? Escape is a very slim chance escape window or not.
20 Seconds To Escape for a 40 footer. 1 second less per each foot under 40.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
During the FROG Rally in Goshen, DW and I attended the Fire Safety seminar by Mac the FireGuy. It was eye opening and educational! If you have never practiced "escaping" through your bedroom emergency exit window, you need to! DW and I both volunteered during the seminar to escape from a Class A bedroom window. Not easy...and our our 5er bedroom window is better then 6 foot off the ground, a long way to drop for a fat guy. Say nothing of knowing how not to hurt yourself on the red clamps that hold the window. Those red clamps will remove flesh from your gut if you don't cover them up before you slide out the window. I took a 2" pvc pipe and ripped a 1/2" lengthwise so it will fit over the bottom frame and red clamps. Plus I have 2' x 1/2" pvc with tape on each end to use as a prop rod to hold the frameless window up. Otherwise you will be fighting the window to stay open, when time is important. Do yourself a favor, open the emergency exit windows and have a plan on how to use them.
I was one of the (Catcher/Helper) guys on the ground crew at the (Escape Window Seminar) that day! Glenn was waiting on me to Help install his Stained Glass Window,but Capt.Mike filled in due to My (Bad Back)! Youroo!! Thanks for telling Members about the Safety Seminar!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote