Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #41

Make sure your 4 six volt batteries are true deep cycle golf cart batteries and not those RV/marine 'deep cycle'. I use Trojans with over 210 amp hours. That gives my Inverter/Residential fridge 24 hours run time drawing no more than 50%. In practice it draws less than that.

With solar you should be able to replace about 15-20 amp hours per panel which suggests you need 4 or 5 panels minimum.

With 4 six volt batteries and solar you should be able to go 3-4 days if you get plenty of sun. You can carry a small inexpensive inverter generator as backup and for running your microwave, hair dryer, etc.

I have the gas/electric water heater. Staying in parks mostly we hardly use any gas and when we don't have hookups still can use gas. With 10 gallons never had an issue of running out or having to do navy showers. After over 80 days we still haven't emptied even one propane tank ( only used heater once).
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #42
wls

I should have considered a road side awning on mine, keep the sun off from it.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #43

We got two awnings, but didn't order them! Go figure. So we got lucky! By all means order it! With both awnings out it gives shade all down the entire camper. If you don't want to deploy it at times, don't.

Get awning toppers though.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #44

Anyone know if the standard 18cu ft refrigerator has ice maker

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Anyone know if the standard 18cu ft refrigerator has ice maker

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
The standard for 2017 is a 19 cu ft and yes, it does have an ice maker.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #46

What is a good price on a 2017 34RL2, loaded, three 15k Air conditioners with power management system ?
Ziggyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyb0y View Post
What is a good price on a 2017 34RL2, loaded, three 15k Air conditioners with power management system ?
Go here, scroll down a bit and choose the options you want. Then fill out info on the right and click "Get The Price". You will get an instant auto email with their lowest price which beats most other dealers. Your local dealer may not be able to match that price, primarily due to higher shipping costs, but gives you an idea. Most have said to take about 30% off MSRP and if your dealer wont do that then walk. Your experience may vary

Is 3 A/C's a bit overkill for that floor plan? I figured 2 would suffice.
2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway 36CK2
To My Wife: "Home is wherever I'm with you"
RJ Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #48

3 is a lot, but here in Texas it gets soooo hot! I have a 32 ft trailer with 2 units and it works to keep it comfortable during the dog days.
Ziggyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyb0y View Post
3 is a lot, but here in Texas it gets soooo hot! I have a 32 ft trailer with 2 units and it works to keep it comfortable during the dog days.
Cedar Creeks are "suppose" to be insulated very well which can make all the difference in the world.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Anderson View Post
Off trailer topic: So I'm kind of a computer geek and in fact build my own PC's instead of buying. I frequent a couple of computer forums and one of the things people do, especially 1st time builders, is to post on the forum their proposed build project with all the parts listed so that experienced builders can look it over and point out any potential problems or just general advice.

Back on topic: So I thought why not do that here before I order my 34RL2 since I'm on the fence about a few options. Any advice is greatly appreciated. The options that I have questions about, or just unsure of, will have a description of my concern in red, but feel to comment on any option that I picked.

2017 Cedar Creek 34RL2

Standard Exterior
-Sandstone
-Automatic 6 Point "Level-Up" Hydraulic Leveling System
-Bike Rack Hitch Receiver, 1-1/4"
-King Dish Satellite System
|-->On roof dish in a dome. Not sure if I should just get my own system like one of those dish on a tripod things I see so much
-Self Regulating Bedroom Wall Heater
-TrailAir Air Ride Hitch Coupler
|-->would rather have a Mor/Ryde pin box but not an option on the order form. Wondering if FR would pun on a Mor/Ryde is buyer requests it?
-Wireless Rear Camera System
-Battery Upgrade (four 6v insteat of two 12v)
-15,000 BTU Ducted Air Conditioner, Second
-200W Solar Panel
|-->200w doesn't seem much. Not sure if it would be easy to add more solar panels in the future. Would it be cheaper to get the solar prep and then add panels later?
-50A Cord Reel
-Air Conditioner Heat Pump Upgrade
-Slide Room Awning Toppers
-Hanford Luxury King Mattress
-Matching Ottoman w/Interior Storage
-Matching Theater Seating
|-->was thinking of getting the electric theater seating but seems like it's just another thing that could break thus not be able to recline in it. Not sure on this one yet
-Baltimore Creme Furniture Package
-30" Stainless Steel Convection Oven/Microwave
-Congoleum Flooring in Living Room
-Refrigerator, Side x Side Gas/Elec.
|-->I was first leaning towards the residential fridge but I was concerned about it running down the batteries if we boondocked a couple of days. What are your experiences with a electric only resi fridge?

Did not choose dual pane windows since we won't be doing a whole lot winter camping. But mainly because I've heard that it's not if your dual pane windows will leak out the gas and cause bad fogging, but rather when.

Any suggestions, changes and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
1) Get full paint if u can
2) auto level a must
3) a tailgator or the like can be moved around were as fixed system will screw u under trees
4) backup camera-a plus
5) yes to the 6v batteries
6) 2nd ac also needed plus heat pump is nice
7) some luv the slide toppers, some hate them - I don't like them
8) I luv our luxury king mattress
9) convention oven and we deleted regular oven and cabinet is pot and pan storage
10) get the residential fridge, RV fridges are crap, (generator or solar can power you as needed)
11) get the dual pane as they will help in summer too
12) cord reel-manual or powered are nice

I did not comment on some things that I didn't care about or have strong feelings towards.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #51

Just a few:
TrailAir is the best ride pin box out there. NOTHING moves in that RV. Cannot even feel the rv when towing.
Dome is good BUT you will be buying a Pathways x2 or similar for wooded area reception.
OBSERVATION CAMERA, not back up.
Have std dual refers for years. Never any negatives except space.
One thing NOT MENTIONED: get yourself a Tire Pressure Monitoring System and learn it well.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #52

X2 on the TPMS. I have a Trav'ler and a portable satellite but I haven't been under trees where I couldn't get out in a while. I like the residential refrigerator and the Level Up is nice but with the camper not having to be Level for the refrigerator to work that's a $6,000.00 option I could live without. I have the TrailAir pin box and the awning toppers. I have had the dual pane windows and I found out I don't need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #53

I like the TrailAir. Got it for $100 in a yard sale. Seller even came and installed it.
Buy off the lot. No reason to get stuck if what you ordered wasn't built right. No need to wait to go camping.
Don't keep it more than a couple of years. New stuff is mostly better. Trade before it depreciates much. You won't have to worry about anything wearing out. You may not even have to check tire pressure. Well, you get my point.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #54

I have traded a lot and often. I really want a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. Maybe next year

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek