Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Experiences with Cedar Creek 38RD

Hi all! We currently tow a travel trailer, but plan to move to a fifth wheel next year and start full-timing. My wife saw the 38RD and fell in love with it because of the sliding doors that can close off the rear den. I'd like to hear of owners' experiences with it, good and bad. And, is it suitable for full-timing? What size tow vehicle would be required?
wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

You will have to look for a good used one or one that a dealer still has sitting on their lot as they discontinued that model. I think full time is possible in it and it was a floor plan we liked also Good luck in your search.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

We have had our 38rd for 1 1/2 years and love it. We only weekend and vacation camp. Plan to use full time when we retire. We love ours. This is our 3rd fifth wheel and think this is the best yet. Have had little problems. Only one nagging problem with the swing arm under the dinning room slide and we are evaluating how to fix since CC can not come up with a suitable fix. We had been sadden when they discontinued the model because we think there are a lot of folks that would end up buying this model if they really saw the space especially in the rear living room.

We have pulled this with a 1 ton single wheel Chevrolet crew cab z71 long bed and now our dually f350 crew cab long bed. Pulls very nicely.

If you can find a new or used one I highly recommend. By the way the outside kitchen is great when you entertain or have the grandkids with you.

Good luck in your search.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
You will have to look for a good used one or one that a dealer still has sitting on their lot as they discontinued that model. I think full time is possible in it and it was a floor plan we liked also Good luck in your search.
Do you know for how many years it was made?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

Experiences with Cedar Creek 38RD

I believe it was 2 years. 14, 15 & 16 I think.

Tom
Old 08-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Smile cedar creek 38RD

I full time in my Cedar Creek 38RD and love it. I've only had it 4 months, but it is the best trailer I've ever had. The living room with the double slide outs and door that close for privacy is the best part about it. No, that's not true. Everything about it is great. I love it. Love living in it. I hope you can get one.

Beth, full time RV'er
twnbks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

2/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
I believe it was 2 years. 14, 15 & 16 I think.

That's three Have fun, br fruitful and multiply.

Tom
see above
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #8

We full-time in our 2015 38RD. Pull with a Ram 3500. Spent 2 years looking at all kinds of rigs. Really like the floor plan. Had some issues with LED lights failing. Henry Sears and the factory team rapidly sent replacements. We recognize that the rig is fairly large- 40' - 7" long and 13-6 tall - so we take care choosing routes and campgrounds. So far, have not had problems in private or state parks. Had a tire failure in May and replaced all rubber with American made tires. Plenty of storage below. Choose your dealer carefully. Most are not worth much after you sign papers. Good luck and happy travels.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Smile Experiences with 38RD

We like our 38RD as well and have had it since last November. A few small issues one being the dining room slide power cable - same as TTANOUS mentioned. This was taken care of by my local dealer under warranty. The dometic bedroom AC sheared its motor bolts and was also taken care of under warranty as well. I am planning on addressing the front cap fade out in the near future. Generally the trailer is well put together I would by a CC again.
howellheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

We bought a 38RD back in April I think down in Ashland, VA, and I thought the dealer had another one up in northern VA. I'll PM you the dealer info. We love the camper, no major issues. Tons of underneath storage, I'm not sure why they aren't making it anymore. The outdoor kitchen is awesome!
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #11

I have a 38 rd a 2016 I'm considering selling to move up to the champagne addition it is absolutely a great unit just looking for more open concept
dustycreek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustycreek2 View Post
I have a 38 rd a 2016 I'm considering selling to move up to the champagne addition it is absolutely a great unit just looking for more open concept
OOOooo! Timing isn't quite right for us. Look me up next spring or summer and we might be ready. Wife actually likes the separation of space in the 38 RD. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me. I'd full time in a pup tent, if that was what she wanted to do.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #13

Out in our 38rd this weekend. I could not imagine going back to an open design. Makes a great place for family and friends meeting us. Especially the grandkids.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
Out in our 38rd this weekend. I could not imagine going back to an open design. Makes a great place for family and friends meeting us. Especially the grandkids.
Yup! That's my wife's angle.

Tags
cedar creek