Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Extended pin box

Do you need a extended pin box on the Cedar Creek with a long bed pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

No. The extended pin is actually for short bed pickups. It's to help prevent truck cab-camper contact. I'll be hitching up next month to our new Sabre with my new to me long bed dually. I'm looking forward to it coming from a short bed. Should tow even nicer then I'm used to.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Extended pin box

I towed with a 8 foot dually last year the only difference I noticed was I never once thought about where the window was backing up. As for experience towing will depend what you had prior. I prefer SRW for different reasons but I am not here to hijack. Either way it should be enjoyable any way you look at it.
SKGCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

My 2014 silverback 33RL came with an extended pin box. Like you I have a LWB truck. When I upgraded the pin box to a trailair triglide, I ordered the medium length pinbox. I still have plenty room to hook up the camper to the truck with the tail gate down.
Ultra-Fab Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride 5th Wheel King Pin - Lippert 1116 - 21,000 lbs Ultra-Fab Products Fifth Wheel King Pin UF35-946232

You will have the take measurements though to ensure the medium length will work on your RV.
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

I plan to install a new pin box before me and DW start riding. I wish I could start now. I just have to decide what pin box to get, I hope whatever pin box I choose I can save 5 inches

Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

I installed a Reese 5th Airborne on our Silverback 31B2. Love it. It was easy to install. Did by myself using truck bed & hitch as pivot points to minimize lifting. I also chose it over the Trail Air Ride because the air bag and shock absorber are not out in direct sunlight/ weather.
RamLab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
My 2014 silverback 33RL came with an extended pin box. Like you I have a LWB truck. When I upgraded the pin box to a trailair triglide, I ordered the medium length pinbox. I still have plenty room to hook up the camper to the truck with the tail gate down.
Ultra-Fab Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride 5th Wheel King Pin - Lippert 1116 - 21,000 lbs Ultra-Fab Products Fifth Wheel King Pin UF35-946232

You will have the take measurements though to ensure the medium length will work on your RV.

Thanks. I will look at the Tri-Glide medium length. I have to take camper to C/W to get something fixed,after I get camper hooked up I will take measurements to see how far tailgate is away from camper. Lippert 1116 may be what I'm looking for

Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #8

Here is the owner’s manual on the hitch. Inside is a chart with the measurements of each pin box to ensure you gets the correct one.

http://drv-owners-manual.com/files/72529419.pdf
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote