Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #21

I also strap a 5 gallon Gerry can to the sidewall of the pickup. I've been down, back and across Fla and never needed it, but makes for a nice insurance policy. That extra 55 miles can make all the difference in the world.

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #22

While on the ocean I supplemented our fuel supply with (3) 5-gal diesel containers. They also ported fuel from shore to the anchorage.

Adopting this method for the pickup, I placed these and 3 others in a shop-box for trips to Alaska, long rides thru TX and to avoid really high prices.

As you know, gas isn't permitted in aux tanks, so be cautious for DOT and you.

The shop-box did OK, but after many thousands of miles the threat of leaks got to me. I can't imagine a leak and the mess created.

Today I use a 40 gal DeeZee aux tank attached to the back of the PU. This supplements the 26 gal standard tank and has gotten us past rough spots. As you found out an average mpg isn't much and 26 gal means lots of stops. I've not yet attached an electric transfer method and use alternative means of fill, and I'm uncertain if I'll modify the method. My primitive system I use currently works, why change?

Also, we use an additive to prevent growth for long-term storage but I follow the directions exactly without deviation, else.... Nevertheless, the tank is smaller in size than the shop-box which allows for more junk between box and hitch and the worry of leaks is now diminished but not forgotten. Our range is 66 gal, max X avg of 12.9 mpg.

Anyway, good luck.

Mike

Old 12-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler2955 View Post
While on the ocean I supplemented our fuel supply with (3) 5-gal diesel containers. They also ported fuel from shore to the anchorage.

Adopting this method for the pickup, I placed these and 3 others in a shop-box for trips to Alaska, long rides thru TX and to avoid really high prices.

As you know, gas isn't permitted in aux tanks, so be cautious for DOT and you.

The shop-box did OK, but after many thousands of miles the threat of leaks got to me. I can't imagine a leak and the mess created.

Today I use a 40 gal DeeZee aux tank attached to the back of the PU. This supplements the 26 gal standard tank and has gotten us past rough spots. As you found out an average mpg isn't much and 26 gal means lots of stops. I've not yet attached an electric transfer method and use alternative means of fill, and I'm uncertain if I'll modify the method. My primitive system I use currently works, why change?

Also, we use an additive to prevent growth for long-term storage but I follow the directions exactly without deviation, else.... Nevertheless, the tank is smaller in size than the shop-box which allows for more junk between box and hitch and the worry of leaks is now diminished but not forgotten. Our range is 66 gal, max X avg of 12.9 mpg.

Anyway, good luck.

Mike
Anyone know why gas isn't allowed to be carried in an aux tank?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Boom. !!!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
Boom. !!!
RB - is that your answer to my question? If it is, I'm assuming that the risk of explosion/fire is the reason.

If so,are pickup manufacturers required by law to limit the tank size of their gas powered vehicles? I never heard of any such law.

Just wondering.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #26

When pulling our Rv we only get around 7 to 71/2 miles a gallon I'm still thinking about getting one !
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #27

B47 - 'RB - is that your answer to my question? If it is, I'm assuming that the risk of explosion/fire is the reason.

If so,are pickup manufacturers required by law to limit the tank size of their gas powered vehicles? I never heard of any such law.

Just wondering.'

I'm thinking vapor recovery regulations on gas tanks, u know EPA.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #28

This is what I like about the Titan type tank.
1. Itís located between the frame rails
2. You use all the fuel all the time you have none in storage.
3. Itís lower in gravity which is a lot more stable for the truck.
4. The tank is not sitting right behind you, God forbid youíre in a roll over.
5. One spout one fill.
6. An empty fuel tank that you will drive around with when not towing, can be a bomb because of the fumes left in the tank.
These are just observation, they might or might not be what you are looking for but I hope they help.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
RB - is that your answer to my question? If it is, I'm assuming that the risk of explosion/fire is the reason. If so,are pickup manufacturers required by law to limit the tank size of their gas powered vehicles? I never heard of any such law. Just wondering.
That's what I think, but I not exactly qualified. !!! Lol also most new gas tanks are plastic,??? As stated, vapor rec.and much more expansion/contraction, from temp extremes.
Again,I'm just a dumb old carpenter. !! IDK
Old 12-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #30

I have a 100gal in the bed tank, but I can not use it when I tow the 5er (axle weight ) when the truck is empty I can go from MI to Fla and back

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote