Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
I also want the extra fuel tank to run the fuel through a water separator my truck only has one fuel filter on it I think this will help

Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
In post 15 I put in the URL for the tank I have, it comes with a fuel filter that they recommend changing once a year.

Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
How is that any different from the main tank? Seriously? I fill my truck through and run off the add on tank all the time, I have not fueled through the filler neck since I installed the tank. The fuel still goes into the main tank, the main tank is where the engine draws the fuel and goes through all the factory filters. They only thing I can think of is if you use a steel tank instead of aluminum as it could rust over the years and that could add debris to the main tank. But otherwise, I think you are overthinking the fuel issues with an aux tank gravity feeding to the main. As for cost, I saw it this way. I was going to buy a in bed toolbox, a good aluminum one cost around 300-400 bucks, I paid 695 for the tank/toolbox combo. At 45 gallons in just my vacation trip it will save me around 30 bucks for just that one trip. When I went to visit my mother in NY, it saved me another 15 bucks over the cost of diesel on LI. So the more I avoid more expensive states to fill in, the more I save over time.
I'm not judging, just say 'n. When I pump from the aux tank, pumps through a water/particulate filter . if the aux tank is not kept with some fuel in it, it is then ,like the factory tank, subject to condensation. Two tanks=twice the potential for some water. If possible an in line filter ,between them might not be a bad idea.
I like the idea,of gravity feed. When I installed tank,and got to the wiring, I got lazy ,and just clamped cable clips, like battery charger size, to the 20' pump cord. When using for farm,I carry an extra battery in a storage box,in bed. The battery is also used for bulk tanks, to equipment pump.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #44
40gal transfer tank here.....I take it out when not hauling has its own water/part filter before I pump into main tank...

I will say that full of fuel and fully loaded 318bhs (9000-9200lbs) the truck is pretty much maxed on payload..i upgraded to the 350 leafs/block and rear axle when I first got I KNOW its ok...but the scale numbers put me within 25lbs of maxing out my 10000lb gvwr!!

nothing else I tow comes close to hitting GVWR so I don't mind...texas is a big state....I don't like stopping every 200miles for diesel as in the smaller towns its expensive...I did it for years tho...just have to think ahead and plan your stops a lil more..
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #45
Yeah, I just dont see it as something needed if you gravity feed. My friend has a 100 gallon tank, uses it all the time and has never had an issue with the two stock filters and seperator doing the job. I think if you where to only use the tank for trips and keep the gravity fill turned off the rest of the time you run a higher risk of doubling the water, but otherwise, I dont see that as possible.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
phat phrog stunt crew
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
this is what it looked like after I just got it installed, it was plummed into the fuel filler neck, I just opened the tank and drove, and drove, and drove, untill I got tired and never had to look for diesel.. it was great when we had the TT but the 5er is too heavy in the pin weight
you sure are asking an awful lot of a couple 1 inch tied down straps. even if they are 2 inch straps, there is no way thats safe or legal.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #47
My tank goes from one side of the truck to the other side and I have never given it any thought to the tank moving, it can't go past the wheel welds. As far as water goes I have never had a problem with water in the fuel filter, I have the chevy place change that. I have used my tank for over 5 years and I might have a problem tomorrow but I have not had one yet with tank moving around or water. My 12volt pump works just like a pump does at a station, I may put a filter on the handle later, I have long leads from the pump motor and when I need fuel I just open the hood on the chevy and hook the leads to my battery and turn pump on. Does not take long to fill up, works like a charm. I went to Yellowstone this year and I saved $125.00 on the credit card alone. $2500 dollars at 5% adds up plus all the places I saved at least .10 a gal on, plus all the time I save driving instead of at a gas station
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #48
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
you sure are asking an awful lot of a couple 1 inch tied down straps. even if they are 2 inch straps, there is no way thats safe or legal.
thanks for being the police officer...that was only temporary, it never had fuel in it at that time, it is bolted down when installed.

I ran the fuel line into a inline filter before it went into the filler neck tube, and let my 4 other Fuel filters clean it better
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #49
phat phrog stunt crew
your welcome jevanb. i didnt see any bolts in the picture, but the straps really stood out
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #50
I have an aux tank, gravity fed. My son and I installed it in about two hrs. The tank makes our trips much safer because there's less city driving - looking for a Diesel pump, less maneuvering with the 5er. When we stop for lunch at a roadside rest, or other safe area, I open the valve, leave it opened, watch my main tank fill while driving! The tank saves us time as well as money - no stop and go in town. I fill up after setting up camp, or I go out the morning we leave and fill 'me both.

Alan, Kathy & Cooper the camping cat
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS
2013 GMC 2500 Denali
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote