Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Extra fuel tank

I would like to hear from anybody that's have the extra fuel tank to see if they like it or not we have a 2013 36Ckts we have to start looking fuel at 200 hundred miles and what kind you have thank you .
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although this is a good idea unless your tv isn't a one ton dually pulling that unit I'd be worried about going over your cargo carrying capacity.
Even with a one ton you might still have a small aux tank.

Since you didnt say gas or diesel
Gas is about 6.25# per gallon.
Diesel is about 7 to 7.5# per gallon.

So a 20 gallon tank might be 125+ #
And diesel 20 gallon tank 150#
Not including the weight of the tank.

Even a 20 gallon tank at your rate "I'm assuming you now have a 26 to 30 gallon" is barely going to net you another 100 miles.

I know a few have aux tanks on here, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Turbs.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Always Learning

I looked at replacement tanks for my truck that switched me from a 34-gallon tank to a 90 gallon one. I think it was by Transfer Flow. Same effect- more range without losing bed space.

At the time I figured that I had payload to space, but recent weighings tell me that the extra 60 gallons could put me awfully close to GVWR if not over.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #4

I use Gas Buddy the night before a move and plan where to stop for gas near 250 miles down the road.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

I have a 2002 F350 7.3 DRW with 10 leaf spring I'm thinking about getting a 45 gallon tank but would like to read feedback and I think you all for your feedback !
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

I thought about the same thing and figured I would wait until after we took a 2000+ mile trip to see if it would be a good purchase or not. As we traveled we wound up timing fuel stops with bathroom breaks and stretch breaks. End result, no extra tank required.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My 2cents,
I use my 40 gal trams tank around the farm,and have only one time used it on a camping trip. Yellowstone requires a lot o fuel,to see as much as possible. There was fuel available in the park at a premium $ , so on this trip I was happy to have my own fuel at a more reasonable $. I imagine if you are going to travel in the desert SW or any other sparsely populated area,it would feel safer. But just general travel, probably not needed. Like Turbs said, if the weight is not a problem, it is a nice thing to have when pulling our TH we average 10-14 mpg, so that extra. 40gal= 400+ mi. that can be used at any safe stop. The 40 gal tank,pump, filter,and other misc. hardware, ran me around $350 You're call. !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy52 View Post
I would like to hear from anybody that's have the extra fuel tank to see if they like it or not we have a 2013 36Ckts we have to start looking fuel at 200 hundred miles and what kind you have thank you .
I have one, love it! 37 aux gallons and it fits under the roll and lock bed cover, in front of the hitch. total fuel on board approx 70 gals. At 10 mpg gives me approx 700 miles,and I can buy my fuel at larger centers where it is usually a little cheaper. Purchased at Northern and have it set up with a 12V pump and nozzle.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Always Learning

Newbie to this stuff - with a pump and nozzle, does that mean that you have to pull over to transfer fuel?

How hard is it to tie the 2 tanks together? And, is that even a good idea?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Newbie to this stuff - with a pump and nozzle, does that mean that you have to pull over to transfer fuel? How hard is it to tie the 2 tanks together? And, is that even a good idea?
This might help...
Oversize Tank - Replaces the OEM Tank

Aux Tank - In addition to the OEM Tank Can be frame mounted or bed mounted.
There are many ways to get the fuel from these tanks to the engine.

Transfer Tank - These are mostly bed mounted however there are some that can be frame mounted. You must manually transfer the fuel from these tanks. The advantage is that you can also pump to another vehicle if necessary. You see these a lot down on the farm.

I have seen folks tie these into the filler neck for their main tank and use an electric pump switched in the cab to make the transfer. They use their fuel gauge to view the progress. Some aux tanks have a similar set up but there is a overflow prevention shutoff built into the replacement section of the filler neck.

Most of the folks with 3/4 ton Crew Cab Short beds look for these to extend their range however they are pushing the GVWR numbers if they have more than an ultra light.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Newbie to this stuff - with a pump and nozzle, does that mean that you have to pull over to transfer fuel?

How hard is it to tie the 2 tanks together? And, is that even a good idea?
Yes I mostly transfer the fuel at rest areas or at the campground. I have it set up that way because I also use it to fuel up my diesel tractor. I am thinking of also adding a 12 volt solenoid valve and having the fuel gravity drain into the truck tank while driving.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
This might help...
Oversize Tank - Replaces the OEM Tank

Aux Tank - In addition to the OEM Tank Can be frame mounted or bed mounted.
There are many ways to get the fuel from these tanks to the engine.

Transfer Tank - These are mostly bed mounted however there are some that can be frame mounted. You must manually transfer the fuel from these tanks. The advantage is that you can also pump to another vehicle if necessary. You see these a lot down on the farm.

I have seen folks tie these into the filler neck for their main tank and use an electric pump switched in the cab to make the transfer. They use their fuel gauge to view the progress. Some aux tanks have a similar set up but there is a overflow prevention shutoff built into the replacement section of the filler neck.

Most of the folks with 3/4 ton Crew Cab Short beds look for these to extend their range however they are pushing the GVWR numbers if they have more than an ultra light.
What he said! I've seen a couple with gravity feeds (with a manual valve to allow fuel to feed from one tank to another) and some with electric pumps to allow you to transfer the fuel from the Aux to the primary comfortably from the cab of your truck which would be my preference.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
Always Learning

Thanks fellas.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #14

You can go to Titan and just replace your tank, its not cheep but its a option, that way you can just put in as much fuel in as you need.

https://titanfueltanks.com/?gclid=CNT72qGXt7sCFbQWMgod8yYAew
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #15

I have this. I had it installed. It's not cheap but it works for me. It's in the bed in front of the 5th wheel. I have an 8 ft box so I do have lots of room. In total I have 86 gallons of fuel.
50 Gallon Cross Bed Fuel Tank - Trax System - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #16

If I could only increase my bladder's size.......
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #17

I was worried about having a 26 gal tank in my TV in the beginning. After several long trips it turns out I needed a break about the time I needed fuel if not before. I did carry an extra 5 gal. of diesel on one extended trip but didn't even come close to needing it.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #18

I wish I could buy a bigger tank to replace the DW bladder....lol

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #19

With a 38 gallon tank I would have to pretty much stop for diesel fuel in each state. And while I normally stop every 3-4 hours it would not be an issue I hold the extra capacity not to run longer, but to avoid the states where fuel can be more expensive (FL is averaging 4.09 a gallon, but GA is only at 3.74 as of 12/17/13.) So I have a 45 gallon transfer tank with a gravity fill kit. This allows me to stop in the southern portion of GA, head to FL for my 2 week vacation, and probably not require fuel again until I am towing north and can save money.

Now mind you I did add the tank, its a 45 gallon with a small tool box. It was about 100# all aluminum. And even with the extra fuel load, I am still under my weight ratings with the 5th wheel. And because of the 5th wheel I try to keep what we have inside the truck at a minimum to save not just space but weight.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #20

Replaced the 26gal tank with a 50gal Titan tank. Tank fits in old tank location. Usually fuel up at the end of the day after I dropped off the RV. If I don't fill up at the end of the day can usually run till the end of next day. Easier to fuel up without the extra 36'.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote