Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Extra fuel tank

I would like to hear from anybody that's have the extra fuel tank to see if they like it or not we have a 2013 36Ckts we have to start looking fuel at 200 hundred miles and what kind you have thank you .

Old 12-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although this is a good idea unless your tv isn't a one ton dually pulling that unit I'd be worried about going over your cargo carrying capacity.
Even with a one ton you might still have a small aux tank.

Since you didnt say gas or diesel
Gas is about 6.25# per gallon.
Diesel is about 7 to 7.5# per gallon.

So a 20 gallon tank might be 125+ #
And diesel 20 gallon tank 150#
Not including the weight of the tank.

Even a 20 gallon tank at your rate "I'm assuming you now have a 26 to 30 gallon" is barely going to net you another 100 miles.

I know a few have aux tanks on here, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Turbs.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I looked at replacement tanks for my truck that switched me from a 34-gallon tank to a 90 gallon one. I think it was by Transfer Flow. Same effect- more range without losing bed space.

At the time I figured that I had payload to space, but recent weighings tell me that the extra 60 gallons could put me awfully close to GVWR if not over.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #4

I use Gas Buddy the night before a move and plan where to stop for gas near 250 miles down the road.

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

I have a 2002 F350 7.3 DRW with 10 leaf spring I'm thinking about getting a 45 gallon tank but would like to read feedback and I think you all for your feedback !
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

I thought about the same thing and figured I would wait until after we took a 2000+ mile trip to see if it would be a good purchase or not. As we traveled we wound up timing fuel stops with bathroom breaks and stretch breaks. End result, no extra tank required.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My 2cents,
I use my 40 gal trams tank around the farm,and have only one time used it on a camping trip. Yellowstone requires a lot o fuel,to see as much as possible. There was fuel available in the park at a premium $ , so on this trip I was happy to have my own fuel at a more reasonable $. I imagine if you are going to travel in the desert SW or any other sparsely populated area,it would feel safer. But just general travel, probably not needed. Like Turbs said, if the weight is not a problem, it is a nice thing to have when pulling our TH we average 10-14 mpg, so that extra. 40gal= 400+ mi. that can be used at any safe stop. The 40 gal tank,pump, filter,and other misc. hardware, ran me around $350 You're call. !
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy52 View Post
I would like to hear from anybody that's have the extra fuel tank to see if they like it or not we have a 2013 36Ckts we have to start looking fuel at 200 hundred miles and what kind you have thank you .
I have one, love it! 37 aux gallons and it fits under the roll and lock bed cover, in front of the hitch. total fuel on board approx 70 gals. At 10 mpg gives me approx 700 miles,and I can buy my fuel at larger centers where it is usually a little cheaper. Purchased at Northern and have it set up with a 12V pump and nozzle.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Newbie to this stuff - with a pump and nozzle, does that mean that you have to pull over to transfer fuel?

How hard is it to tie the 2 tanks together? And, is that even a good idea?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Newbie to this stuff - with a pump and nozzle, does that mean that you have to pull over to transfer fuel? How hard is it to tie the 2 tanks together? And, is that even a good idea?
This might help...
Oversize Tank - Replaces the OEM Tank

Aux Tank - In addition to the OEM Tank Can be frame mounted or bed mounted.
There are many ways to get the fuel from these tanks to the engine.

Transfer Tank - These are mostly bed mounted however there are some that can be frame mounted. You must manually transfer the fuel from these tanks. The advantage is that you can also pump to another vehicle if necessary. You see these a lot down on the farm.

I have seen folks tie these into the filler neck for their main tank and use an electric pump switched in the cab to make the transfer. They use their fuel gauge to view the progress. Some aux tanks have a similar set up but there is a overflow prevention shutoff built into the replacement section of the filler neck.

Most of the folks with 3/4 ton Crew Cab Short beds look for these to extend their range however they are pushing the GVWR numbers if they have more than an ultra light.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote