Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Factory mount King Tailgater?

Anyone having problems getting both Wallys working at the same time? The primary antenna outlet works fine, but the secondary won't work. If I change the primary(on the roof at the antenna) to the other Wally it works, but the secondary still doesn't. It seems I've eliminated the primary, the cables, and the Wallys. Dish is no help...has anyone had any luck with King. I tried them months ago and they blamed Dish. Dish now blames King. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
Shipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

describe what you mean by it 'won't work'....

formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Lacey's Spring, AL

are these 'primary' and 'secondary' cables from the roof coming down to a 'box' where you then run a coax cable to each receiver?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Lacey's Spring, AL

I'm also not sure what you 'changed' on the roof - do you mean you simple removed and switched the cables, the 'main' output and the 'secondary' output, but left the Wally's connected as they were originally? and now the 'secondary' Wally works, but the 'main' now does not?

The primary 'main' output of the portable roof antenna is for the primary RECEIVER(Wally), and must be programmed to acquire the satellite signals FIRST.

Once the satellites are acquired, the channel program has downloaded, and you know your are seeing channels from all three satellites, only THEN do you plug in and start to program and acquire the 'secondary' receiver, as it will be 'piggy backing' off the satellite that the 'main' receiver is currently tuned to.
The secondary receiver/tv will be able to see channels from that satellite alone, not the other two - if you change the primary/main TV/receiver to view a channel from a satellite the secondary is not programmed to, the secondary will lose it's signal, and you'll see the BLUE SCREEN. If you change the main receiver back, though, the secondary will also go back to viewing : )

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Lacey's Spring, AL

I also just pulled down this tidbit of info on the website for the new
KingTailgaterPro:

"The Tailgater Pro starts scanning faster and completes
the scan more quickly than ever before. Includes 100% nationwide coverage
(western and eastern hybrid arc: 61.5, 110, 119)"

...I don't know what the satellite 61.5 channels are, or whether they are in HD, but I would hate to lose my satellite 129 HD channels.... : /
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Lacey's Spring, AL

uh oh, now I see another note* as part of their owner manual 'quick start' section:

"Mode selection for Wally receivers only:
Choose the 110, 119, 129 trio unless in the northeastern United States;
then choose the 61.5, 110, 119 trio."

apparently my VIP receiver would not allow this 'option' for the Eastern sats, but only the Western 110, 119, and 129.... but I've found that they work just as well anywhere you go... but, it's news none-the-less : )
If you have a Wally, you can choose either 'set' of satellites....nice.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

[QUOTE=formerFR;2028450]I'm also not sure what you 'changed' on the roof - do you mean you simple removed and switched the cables, the 'main' output and the 'secondary' output, but left the Wally's connected as they were originally? and now the 'secondary' Wally works, but the 'main' now does not?

The primary 'main' output of the portable roof antenna is for the primary RECEIVER(Wally), and must be programmed to acquire the satellite signals FIRST.

Both Wallys are the same so the only thing primary is the outlet connection on the antenna. When I switched the cables at the antenna then the original "secondary" Wally became the primary and went through the complete setup beginning with state selection and then worked just like the primary TV did before changing feeds. In both cases the secondary TV goes through signal acquire and guide download, but won't display any channel only that the signal is obstructed.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
...I don't know what the satellite 61.5 channels are, or whether they are in HD, but I would hate to lose my satellite 129 HD channels.... : /
On my home antenna the satellite 61.5 is used for local channels.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Lacey's Spring, AL

that would also give me the idea that the portable antennas secondary output is not working correctly, though I haven't used mine with a Wally, only our VIP211k receivers.

I'm wondering if the Wally itself has a setting that needs to 'understand' that this incoming signal from the portable antenna is not the 'main', but only a secondary 'signal only' output?

The 'Main' output of the portable antenna is designed to both Receive power from the receiver, Receive the change of Channel AND Satellite request from the receiver(moves the 'eye'), and Send the channel signal back to the main receiver.

But, the 'Secondary' output is only designed to Receive the change of CHANNEL from this secondary receiver, NOT a powered signal, such as from the main receiver.

If the secondary Wally is thinking that 'it' is the main receiver, it may be trying to send a signal that the antenna is not expecting, or capable of handling on this secondary connection, making it send it back an error message.

but, also I have had times when the secondary TV had this message after it was programmed. What I found is either it was on a channel that is not on the Satellite that the Main receiver is currently tuned to, which means it would never be able to see this channel anyway and therefore the error message, OR...
the secondary receiver is not realizing that it should not be looking for all three satellites, only the one that the antenna is on currently. If you check your 'Installation Summary' screen - it should only show a single Satellite, the one that the Main receiver is currently tuned to. If it is showing THREE satellites, then it has not 'reset' to a secondary receiver condition - UNPLUG the receiver, wait 30 seconds, and it should then reset. When you plug it in and it acquires the 'signal', it should now only show that single Satellite on the Installation Summary screen.

King:
"The channels available on the second receiver are determined by the channel/satellite selected on the main receiver. For example, if you select a channel on the main receiver that is broadcast from the 119 satellite, then the second receiver will be able to view any channel broadcast from the 119 satellite.(*if it was programmed while the main receiver was on a channel from 119 at that time)

If you switch channels on the main receiver to one that is broadcast from a different satellite, (for example, your channel was broadcast from satellite 119 but your new channel is broadcast from the 110), the antenna will automatically switch to the 110 satellite and programming will be lost on the second receiver until you either
"
Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Lacey's Spring, AL

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipper View Post
On my home antenna the satellite 61.5 is used for local channels.
the new KingTailgaterPro provides two sets of Satellites, IF you have the Wally receiver, but only the primary 'western arc' sats if you have the VIP receivers, like I do.

we've always been able to receive LOCALS where ever we are, sometimes from satellite 110, in SD, or most of the time on 129, in HD, all depending on while satellite these 'local' broadcasters are assigned to with Dish's service. I always hope they are on 129 since they would all be in HD, but in some smaller markets they are all on 110 in SD only.

the new KingTailgaterPro provides the Wally the ability to 'change' the set of Satellites it wishes the view - and therefore the 61.50 satellite comes into play, on the 'eastern arc' sats, which may also have local channels for some markets, though I'll never be able to view those since my KingTailgater is only designed for western arc sats 110, 119, and 129.

I almost read their new info about this newer model to mean that you could have the antenna tune to any of the six satellite options, whether eastern or western arc, which might also be nice, but alas, it's only either one set or the other, and probably because each set is in a similar 'area' of the sky.
Makes sense.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #11

I ordered a Kingdish on my new 38EL
It barely has enough power to power 1 television, let alone all 3.

I upgraded to a real satellite receiver, the RF Mogal. My new kingdish went in the dumpster.

The RF Mogal is great.
Herdboar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdboar3 View Post
I ordered a Kingdish on my new 38EL
It barely has enough power to power 1 television, let alone all 3.
That could be my problem also. I will call King today and see what suggestions they have...I'm sure it won't be to get another brand.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

The guy that installed my RF Mogul went to the settings and power page on my tv and I came up with 24 for power. He said I need 42 to power 1 receiver.
The new satellite dish is putting out 80.
It locks on all 3 satellites, instead of only 2 like the kingdish.
Kingdish has a little plastic dish inside that reminds me of a cool whip tub.

My new setup cost $2200 installed. Now I can record, set timers, do everything that I can do on my home tv with dish.
Herdboar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdboar3 View Post
The guy that installed my RF Mogul went to the settings and power page on my tv and I came up with 24 for power. He said I need 42 to power 1 receiver.
The new satellite dish is putting out 80.
It locks on all 3 satellites, instead of only 2 like the kingdish.
Kingdish has a little plastic dish inside that reminds me of a cool whip tub.

My new setup cost $2200 installed. Now I can record, set timers, do everything that I can do on my home tv with dish.
Took me awhile to figure out what you are talking about, so I went to the Cedar Creek website.

The option is for a King Dome (some docs specified the Tailgater version) and two receivers. I couldn't tell if they fix the dome to the roof or leave it as a portable unit.

I understand you were not happy with it and decided to spend four times the $$$ for a different system. Which is fine, but you have a few things wrong.

The receivers power the dish, not the other way around. So I'm not sure what power level you are talking about, unless you actually mean signal strength. If that is the case, then you needed to move the dish where it has clear access to the southern sky. Which might be a problem if it is fixed to the roof (just like any sat dish, including your new one).

Most portable auto sat dishes only use one satellite at a time, not two. Which means the secondary receiver has to use a channel on the same sat as the primary. So your system definitely has the advantage in this area, but you pay for that.

The King family of auto portable dishes work exceptionally well for 1 or two receivers. Many of us use them very successfully.

I wish you would of thrown your King Dome in my trash, so I could either use it or sell it
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #15
Lacey's Spring, AL

yes, he is comparing APPLES to ORANGES, and just threw away perfectly good ones!

Our KingTailgater2, which is the 'portable' antenna that provides two outputs, works exceptional well, and easily provides ALL Dish channels to BOTH receivers and TVs, IF you know how to handle it properly.

and yes, the RECEIVER powers the portable antenna - the antenna has nothing to do with power. For the Mogul or Traveler 3LNB 'open face' antennas, they need their own POWER to set themselves up, and initially find the satellites, and even stow themselves, but that itself has nothing to do with WATCHING the TV channels - that part is handled by the receiver(s).

The typical portable Antenna, whether the KingTailgater2, Pro, DishPlaymaker, etc., all receive their power from the receiver. The receiver, thru the coax cable, provides the 12v power to move the 'eye' and to initially set up and locate the satellites, automatically.
When you change channels, a channel on the same satellite, nothing has to move.
When you change channels to one that originates from another of the satellites, the 'eyeball' moves to receive it.

Portable antennas all have one thing in common, and is the difference from the 'open face' type antennas - they have only a SINGLE LNB EYEBALL. This single 'eye' must then move between each satellite. Open faced antennas, though, have three 'eyes' that are static, with no movement required. They also can power three different receivers for this same reason.

The portables that have the 'secondary' output provide a way to send a signal to a second receiver/tv setup, giving you the option to view different channels on a different tv. The only drawback is that this second receiver will only EVER be able to see channels from the single Satellite that it was programmed to, because it does not have the authority to move the 'eyeball', like the Main receiver does.
There are ways around that, though, if you find you really need to change to a channel that is on a different satellite - find the channel you want to watch on the Main tv/receiver, and leave it on that channel while you 'reprogram' the secondary receiver. Now that channel will be available also on the second tv.

This might seem a bit annoying when you start to use the second receiver/tv and find that you won't be able to see all channels you might from the main receiver/tv, but it still gives you options you wouldn't have otherwise - unless you just want to purchase a separate KingTailgater or similar portable for the other TV! (not a bad option, actually)

Once you've done this several times, though, you get the hang of it and can work just fine. We find that the times we do this that satellite 129, in HD, has most all of the channels either TV wants to view. Sat 110 is another option, though mostly in SD, but also with some 'antenna' tv channels like 'ME TV', 'GRIT', and other oldies.

Lately, though, as we've traveled and found that our boys really don't gravitate toward TV as much anymore, I've moved away from using the secondary output to our outside tv, and instead installed an inline 'tv switch' that allows me to simply switch the Satellite from our Bedroom TV to our Outside TV... meaning that rather than the 'Main' output going to the bedroom, it now goes to the Outside TV's receiver, and I can switch to any channel on either satellite at any time - I just switch it back in the evening when we are watching from the BR, and now have the same full controls there.

The switch is really just a coax 'A/B' switch. The coax cable to the Antenna is in the middle, the coax to the Bedroom receiver is 'A', and the coax to the Outside receiver is 'B'. Switching to 'A' means the antenna is powered and controlled by the bedroom receiver, and switching to 'B' gives the power and control to the Outside receiver. Easy.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #16
Lacey's Spring, AL

I'll backup a bit, and admit that I first thought that your term 'kingdish', was just some personal term for a King type of portable antenna that came with your new RV, but I see that King actually has a KINGDOME, which is the IN-MOTION type of 'portable' antenna...

and now, I can backtrack and let you know that, yes, it DOES require a separate 12v power inverter, which controls the constant movement of the 'eyeball' as you travel and the coach is in constant movement(which is really a technology I can't wrap my brain around!).
Now, you may not have been using it while in motion, and may have only wanted it for when you are parked, but it works the same either way, though I'm not sure what the problem was with the 'power' to a secondary receiver, as the receive doesn't receive any power from the antenna, only the 'signal' from the Satellite.

Regardless, yes, you are still comparing apples to oranges, though, because an 'in-motion' antenna is quite different from the 'static' antenna from RF Mogul you now have.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I'll backup a bit, and admit that I first thought that your term 'kingdish', was just some personal term for a King type of portable antenna that came with your new RV, but I see that King actually has a KINGDOME, which is the IN-MOTION type of 'portable' antenna...
I went through the same thought process, but could not figure out why they would put an in-motion dish on a fifth wheel. Does not make sense. So I did find some descriptions (by a Cedar Creek dealer I believe, which I can't find now) that said it was King Tailgater, which made more sense. Would be interesting to know what Herdboar actually had. Either way, he threw away a big chunk of money, if that is actually what he did

NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, mount