Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Factory Tour of Cedar Creek

While we were at the FROG rally we toured the Cedar Creek factory. Our tour group was so large that they separated us into four groups. The group I was with had the plant manager as our tour guide. It was obvious he was proud of the product they produce and proud of the craftsmanship of the factory personnel.

Here’s a pic of a worker assembling bathroom wash basins.

Here’s a pic of a Silverback nearing completion.

This is a pic of a Silverback in final inspection and weighing. Each unit is weighed as it goes out the door.

Anyone that might be in the Topeka, IN area might want to take the time and schedule a tour of the factory.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is that a tripod stand under the pin box ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

From the rear pic, appears axles are on a scale pad. King pin may be a tripod on a separate scale pad. This way they can get axle weight, and pin weight. Can remove the tripod, and use a tongue jack to get tongue weight for a conventional camper. Scales are expensive to install and keep calibrated. Just a guess.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Is that a tripod stand under the pin box ?
It’s a tripod on wheels. If you look at the third photo you can see that the landing gear is not down all the way. Also the wheels of the trailer are not sitting on the floor. The whole fifth wheel can be pushed by one man to the next station for work.

Here’s a pic that shows what the tripod looks like. You can also see the track near the trailer wheels that allows the unit to move laterally down the production line.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I did notice the landing gear up
And the trolly under the rear
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Oakman...curious to know what their build time is from start to finish in the factory, did you here any info on this?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Oakman...curious to know what their build time is from start to finish in the factory, did you here any info on this?
I'm embarrassed to say I asked that very question and for the life of me I can't remember what he told me. I guess that's a sure sign of my old age.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Smile

We took the tour when we were in the area in August and was told it takes 2-3 days to complete 1 unit. When we took the tour it was after all the workers left for the day but we did get to talk to a few guys from part and warranty plus they replaced 2 shades for us and supplied me with caulk to recaulk some areas that needed it. All in all the wife would like to upgrade now so much for a FREE tour it might end up costing me money
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #9

Looks like lots of Amish on the assembly floor. Guess that"s one of the reasons my 2005 is still as good as the day it rolled off the assembly line.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

I'm surprise they(Amish) let you take their picture.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr
We took the tour when we were in the area in August and was told it takes 2-3 days to complete 1 unit. When we took the tour it was after all the workers left for the day but we did get to talk to a few guys from part and warranty plus they replaced 2 shades for us and supplied me with caulk to recaulk some areas that needed it. All in all the wife would like to upgrade now so much for a FREE tour it might end up costing me money
Thanks for the info...that timeframe was what I was guessing

Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #12

Tour in July

I also look the factory tour in early July, as I am thinking of getting a 36ckts. When I took it they scheduled the tours for late afternoon after the work day has ended. They start work at like "O dark thirty" in the morning but stop by mid afternoon. A young lady from the office I believe her name was Brittany gave the tour and spent a lot of time giving a very thorough tour (unlike Heartland, in and out 30 minutes max) I was really impressed with her presentation. She showed some of the new things being added. They are trying to brighten the kitchen color up. New cabinet hardware, lighter stands out better. New counter tops, lighter color more of a swirl like pattern. When I saw them in the preassembly I wasn't to impressed but when I saw them in an assembled unit they looked really nice. Getting away from the little speakers and putting in a sound bar. I might be mistaken but I think it was Samsung. It was a tour well worth taking, especially being able to ask questions and straight answers, not salesman hype.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I'm surprise they(Amish) let you take their picture.
Yikes, I didn’t even think about Amish preferring not to be photographed. I was just interested in taking some photos at the plant. No one seemed displeased that I was taking photos so perhaps they were Mennonites.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788