Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
I just got my Sterling 5th wheel back from FR in Oregon, my front cap was fading badly, My dealer sanded and sealer the cap and 2 months later it was fading again. I contacted FR directly and he told me that if i brought it to them they would fix it. I drove 5 hours each way. They decided to replace the cap. No the issue that i am having....I hear that you can not just clear coat the cap you have to paint and clear. I guess that i just wait and see if it fades. what would you do?

I'm a new (to us) 2012 Silverback 29RE owner. New to being a 5th wheeler too. This thread is very concerning.
I'm told that ours was garaged. It looks really good. Now, my question is, with no garage and Florida sun, what do I do? Do many of you use a cover? Do you recommend a cover? I called the company asking how to care for the decals. The response was do not wax the decals.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #22

Cap care Silverback

Here is my 2015 33rl Silverback, mocha color cap story. JUST AS PREVIOUS POSTER. Treated 2x. I was FORTUNATE to get a 2016 cap in Oyster installed. ( warranty ). Even if it fades down the road, the bleed will not be as noticable as MOCHA (brown).
The RV centers say brown and grey are the first to fade. Yes; full body paint is the only real alternative.
Ain't doin that!!
As far as decals, you have ro realize they are protective coated paper or THIN vinyl. Gonna peel over time. I doubt wax will either help or hurt....
Covering a HUGE RV is more challenge than I want! And wind whipping and chafing is not a desirable situation either, just another PITA in my opinion.
In the end, make what you deem to be the best decision for you and your area. If I had space, I would opt for an open pole barn roof.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #23

Well paint isnt the answer either,unless its a much better grade than they used on ours. Ours cam painted new and the front is dying back and crazeing.I know it is painted because the underside and bottom edges were never cut and buffed after paint,the orange peel is about the texture of 80 grit sandpaper.The original gelcoat on it was grey,then it was painted. I know this because in a 90* left turn my transfer pump just barely scratches it and in that spot the black topcoat paint can be scratched back with my fingernail. The graphics are peeling from the top down as well. Our trailer was built in aug 2015,we took delivery in oct but never used it untill may 2016.FR has agreed to do something,havent said what, but the way its peeling I hope they dont just do a repaint.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #24

Properly painted it will hold up well. My front cap was sanded, sealed with an epoxy primer then painted with DuPont Imron 5000 base coat and clear coat. This is the same thing they use on buses, many of which are fiberglass, and semis. Mine is 3 years old and is holding up very well. Many of the full body paint jobs look great even after several years.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote