Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Feedback for those that own the 34RE

I was thinking of ordering a Silverback 33IK but now leaning toward the new 2017 with the new changes. However I would like to hear any feedback from those that own the 34RE.

Are those Westlake G rated tires doing good so far? I know all about the china bombs, I have the westlakes in my current fifth wheel and so far so good after 2 1/2 yrs but they are not G rated 14 ply that comes on the 34RE. Is it correct that it has 7,000 lbs axles? How does that wall heater work? Not sure I really need it, I don't do a lot of winter camping and I am ordering the heatpump on main AC.
How do you winterize the residential refridge waterline to the icemaker? Sounds like a pain to me! Any feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
fivermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

I think CC is using Westlake tires, not Goodyears but G rated

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

You are correct, they are using Westlake G rated 14ply tires, there are no upgraded tires options unfortunately!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

Feedback for those that own the 34RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
I was thinking of ordering a Silverback 33IK but now leaning toward the new 2017 with the new changes. However I would like to hear any feedback from those that own the 34RE.

Are those Westlake G rated tires doing good so far? I know all about the china bombs, I have the westlakes in my current fifth wheel and so far so good after 2 1/2 yrs but they are not G rated 14 ply that comes on the 34RE. Is it correct that it has 7,000 lbs axles? How does that wall heater work? Not sure I really need it, I don't do a lot of winter camping and I am ordering the heatpump on main AC.
How do you winterize the residential refridge waterline to the icemaker? Sounds like a pain to me! Any feedback is appreciated.

I have a 2016 34RL bought new in May 2015, which is very similar to the 34RE. I have the Westlake G rated 14ply tires on my trailer. I have pulled this trailer for over 10,000 miles, as of today. These tires do hold their air pressure at 110 psi over time. I put the trailer away last Nov. and got the trailer out of storage in May, they only lost 2 psi over that time period. I have not had any issue with my tires.

Yes,the axles are 7,000 LBS rated and they have the wet bolt suspension which is one of three items that I wanted.

I do not have the wall heater but we use the fireplace all of the time to warm up the trailer in the morning when we were out west last fall.

We also have the residential refrigerator and have not used the ice maker at all. There is a valve under the kitchen slide that you need to open to allow water to enter the ice maker, mine is always closed. Therefore I do not need winterize the ice maker. If I need ice I bring the ice from home and buy it if I need it.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

Thanks for all that feedback Jim34RL. That was all very helpful! So I should find the valve under the actual slide out that the refridge is on? Is it in the closed position and I have to open it or it's open and I have to close it? Do you not use your icemaker because of the same reason, you don't want to have to winterize it? I would prefer to just use some ice trays if I need additional ice and buy one big bag of ice since the freezer is already big enough to accomodate it.

Good to hear about the Westlakes. So they do need to go to 110psi? Guess I will have to buy a new small compressor, mine won't do the job. Which compressor do you have that you keep with you or do you?

Have you been happy with the build quality and insulation? Happy with the quiet air? That alone would make me happy!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
Thanks for all that feedback Jim34RL. That was all very helpful! So I should find the valve under the actual slide out that the refridge is on? (YES) Is it in the closed position (YES) and I have to open it or it's open and I have to close it? Do you not use your icemaker because of the same reason, you don't want to have to winterize it? (YES) I would prefer to just use some ice trays if I need additional ice and buy one big bag of ice since the freezer is already big enough to accomodate it.

There is an ice storage box under the ice maker this is where we place the ice from home.

Good to hear about the Westlakes. So they do need to go to 110psi? Guess I will have to buy a new small compressor, mine won't do the job. Which compressor do you have that you keep with you or do you?

(I have a Dewalt 120V Pancake compressor rated for 165 psi which I store in the trailer when we travel. I also carry a 11gallon portable air tank that I can use to air tires up if needed that I use for the Trailair hitch air bag.)

Have you been happy with the build quality and insulation? ( YES) Happy with the quiet air? (YES) That alone would make me happy!

We run the fan feature all the time at night with the front air off. This will keep the front bed room cool and quiet at night, my wife is a light sleeper so that is why the front is off.

I put my answers next to your questions in prentice and in cap letters.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

I have a 32RL and it's not hard to winterize my residential refrigerator, I just pump the pink stuff in until the ice turns pink. I had a CC 30RL that had Westlake tires and I put about 12,000 miles on them, 80lb pressure. That being said I just feel more comfortable with the G614 that I have now. You buy what you like. I like the new 34RL2, DW likes the new ones but what I don't like is not being able to option in the Goodyears

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

I have a 2017 34RE and love it. Heat rises so the bedroom is the warmest part of the RV. I would not order the heater. The value for the ice maker is behind the axles, not by the fridge and is a push/pull type of value. I fallow the warmth so never plan on winterizing and love the ice maker. Took delivery on mine March 24, put on about 4000 miles and haven't lost a lb. of pressure on the tires. Nitrogen filled. Ordered mine with heat pump on main unit but came with heat pump on both units. Didn't order the power cord reel ($240.00) but it came with one anyway. I think they just put them in all the 2017 models. I'm glad they did. Very handy to have. All the 2017 models come with on demand hot water heater, I like it but most people don't. Not good for dry camping or places with low or fluctuating water pressure. Never run out of hot water. Love my 34RE Had minimal bugs to work out on delivery. Bought mine from Lazy Days Tampa, they have delivery lots u can stay on as long as you need to get everything fixed and you are happy. Find something not right, call them, they send a tech to your lot and fix it. I stayed 4 days till I was happy.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

Cody thanks for the feedback, its good to hear! Yeah I decided not to order that wall heater if I go through with it. I assume since you took delivery several months ago you did not get all the changes they have made? Looks like you had to order after 7/1/16. Nothing major but minor details that only enhance the whole package, I think the biggest thing they did was finally change how they paint and clearcoat that front cap, they had so many fading issues with that brown cap. Will be interesting to see if this new one is better over time.
One guy said his water valve to the icemaker was under his slideout, I am assuming he meant on that side but behind the axle like you mentioned. Interesting that the front airconditioner came with a heat pump, is it a 13500 BTU low profile? I didn' think those came with heat pumps just the 15000 BTU. I wasnt going to order the reel either, takes up space and I don't like it in front of the cargo door. I don't mind putting it in a container, have done it for years. Did you order that bike hitch? 50lbs capacity I hear, thats disappointing, can't carry two bikes with that weight limit plus the bike rack itself. We like to bring bikes with us... I am ordering the 200W solar for sure, just to keep the batteries charged and makes it easier with that residential refidge and inverter when you want to go over and cool down that refridge before you leave and or run some fans for a while without draining your battery! Did you order the ottoman to go in front of the couch?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #10

Found the new 34RL2 weight, Pin weight and Length

Well I finally found the stats on the 34RL2, its posted on Couch's RV Nation website, big Cedar Creek dealer.
Dry Weight: 11,440
Pin Weight: 2,173
Length: 36' 8"
Old 08-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

Tell Brannon at Couch's I said to sell you one cheap. He's a jewel.

I believe (?) that the Silverback's have 6,000 lb axles and the Hathaways have 7,000 lb axles. Neither has the option for Goodyear tires, but if they did, you'd pay about what it'd take to replace them, so seem a wash to me. Use what's on there or replace. The Westlakes are a 14 ply tire.

The Champagne Edition, Touring Edition, and new Riverstone have higher axle ratings, I believe.

I have the Viair 400P-RV compressor. Anything that'll get 120 lbs of pressure works, IF you have electricity to plug it to.

I like my CC. Almost bought the 33IK but opted to go ahead and get the Hathaway.

I didn't order the reel, but it came anyway. Too much trouble for the main cord, I just throw it in the basement, it comes out first anyway. But the reel does great to store my cord extension (which you may not need).

We have the ottoman. Like it, it stores stuff too......but you have to move it around to shut the slides. Not a big deal.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

I didn't think the 13500 low profile came with the heat pump either but it shows up on zone 2 (front unit) . I shut off main 15000 living room unit and the bedroom unit puts out heat. I was told in January when I ordered mine that the changes were made to the paint on the front and rear caps. I hope I wasn't lied to, I was worried about that. I did order it with the bike hitch, save your money and do an after market, Pretty flimsy but says good for 250 lbs. I ordered mine with solar prep and generator prep only. Figured I could get generator and solar panels cheaper but nice to have all the wiring in place. Gen. Prep. comes with auto transfer switch and control panel with start switch, hour meter and all needed wiring inside rv. Solar prep comes with the connection on the roof for the panels and wiring down to a cabinet where the controller goes. I think that was $85.00
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote