Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Feedback on a new 2017 CC Hathaway 34RE

I posted in the general postings so I hope this gets to a few 34RE owners. First, are you pleased with the overall quality? What options did you order that you find are worth it? Is the wall heater worth it if you don't do a lot of winter camping? Has anyone with this floorplan ordered the optional ottoman? How good is the backup camera option? Has anyone ordered the optional metal covers for the slide toppers? Feedback on carpet in the living area as opposed to vinyl? Rebond carpet pad worth the upgrade? It's not an expensive upgrade. Are you happy with the 20 cu ft side by side refridge? Has anyone gotten the 200W solar panel upgrade? I definitely want that upgrade, bit pricey but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
fivermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

Meant to ask how you like the new tankless water heater?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
I posted in the general postings so I hope this gets to a few 34RE owners. First, are you pleased with the overall quality? What options did you order that you find are worth it? Is the wall heater worth it if you don't do a lot of winter camping? Has anyone with this floorplan ordered the optional ottoman? How good is the backup camera option? Has anyone ordered the optional metal covers for the slide toppers? Feedback on carpet in the living area as opposed to vinyl? Rebond carpet pad worth the upgrade? It's not an expensive upgrade. Are you happy with the 20 cu ft side by side refridge? Has anyone gotten the 200W solar panel upgrade? I definitely want that upgrade, bit pricey but worth it.

Similar, but not exact same model.

Like the bedroom heater.
Ottoman good.
Slide toppers good.
Vinyl for me over carpet. Carpet is a dirt magnet.
20 cu ft residential refrig is #1 best thing about the trailer.
No solar, so don't know.
Tankless water heater worthless (to me). Had it changed out to conventional 12gallon and love it. Many like the tankless, however. Low flow, it doesn't work.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:

I have a friend that has a 15 cc champagne with. 10,000$ of solar on it for sale.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

I have a 2016 34RL Hathaway edition. I have the metal wrap on all of the awnings, slide topper and the 16 FT awning great addition and worth the investment. We like the rebound carpet pad and carpet, being that we only camp with the grandkids once a season the carpet is a non-issue being we do not camp on dirt. The enclosed vacuum cleaner "Dirt Devil" works will in keeping the carpet clean. The rebound carpet pad is worth the money in my humble opinion. We have the 19 CU FT refrigerator so I can't comment on the 20 CU FT model. We also have the 12 gallon DSI water heater which works well for our needs, being I use the campground electricity to heat the water instead of our propane.

One feature I found that I wished we had ordered is the optional awning on the curb side slide. We could have certainly used this when we where at the Gulf Shores this fall to keep the camper cool. The extra 12FT shade is needed when you have extended sunshine beating on the camper. Even in Traverse City MI this summer we could have used the curb side awning.

I would order the heat pump on the first A/C instead of the optional room heater in the bedroom, in my opinion. This would be a better use of your dollars spent.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Thanks for your feedback. No one has the new tankless water heater that is standard now on the Hathaway? Was wondering how it is?
I would get the heat pump for sure, have one now and live it. I heard the wall heater is a nice option but wasn't sure how much use it would get.
I have heard mixed reviews on the 1 3/4" bike hitch receiver, heard it doesn't hold much weight and bikes bounce all over the place, any comments on this?
Have you been pleased with the overall quality of the rig itself? I have owned 3 other fivers and have been plaqued by numerous issues which I know seems to come with the territory of owner a fiver. However I know CC has a good reputation and many loyal owners that would buy another one. I don't expect it to be trouble free by any means but I just want a better built fiver and from what I can see on their build video it is. I am still trying to decide between the Hathaway 34RE and the Silverback 33IK, I have yo decide if the interior upgrades on the Hathaway are worth the additional money becausenI know they are built the same way. Any feedback would be helpful. Also, is there a Cedar Creek Facebook page? I belonged to my current fiver's facebook page and really enjoyed it, was very helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #7

I was going to order the bike rack but dealer salesman talk me out of it. I purchased a ladder mounted bike rack that I am very happy with. The ladder mounted rack carried our bikes down and back to the Gulf Shores with no problems. The bikes never moved on the ladder mounted bike rack. I can watch them in my driver side rear view mirror and they did not move at all.

Now as far as the Silverback model and the Hathaway model there are major differences. The basement storage of the Hathaway has a 100 CU FT more than the Silverback model. The Hathaway model has roller shades that do not let in light compare to the nightshades in the Silverback model, this was very important to my wife. In our Cougar with night shades like the Silverback has she always complained about light coming in through the little holes for the shade cords. The slides on the Hathaway allow for slide toppers on all slides the Silverback does not. The end cap at the rear is different between the two models, I like the Cedar Creek end cap better.

I also think the rims and tires are rated for a higher load rating on the Cedar Creek, they are G rated. I am not sure but does the Silverback model offer the wet bolts suspension as standard? This was one of the features that I wanted when we purchased a new 5ER.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

I thiught the suspension was the same on bothbut I will have to double check. I have always been told no matter what to never attached bikes to the ladder, its not made for that kind of hauling. I would have to check with the factory on that, would be afraid it could delete my warranty or could do damage over a period of time. I knew the wheels and tires were G rated which is a good thing even though they don't use the best quality. I agree with the day/night shades, I have those now and would miss them but I need to see how many thousands it will save me going with the Silverback iver the Hathaway. I don't like the exposed hinges on all the caninet doors on Silverback nor the cheap sidewall of the shower.. Those and the window shades are my only complaint on Silverback but that is why you pay more on the Hathaway not t have those things.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

I did notice the 34RE Hathaway got cheated out of the new 55" TV, I checked and it's 48" even though it does come with the new fireplace look and Jenson sub woofer surround sound.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

Bandjcarm how easy or hard is it to winterize the icemaker? I heard it's kind of a pain. Plus my fiver can sit a while in between trips and just wondered how nasty that water may get in the waterline or bacteria?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 AM   #11

I have a 36CKT similar model. Mine has the tankless water heater. Very happy with it so far but it does come with a learning curve. To start out you turn just the hot on wide open. It takes a few seconds to get hot water. To make the water hotter you turn down the hot water valve. This keeps the water in the coil longer and heats it up more. To cool the water down you open the hot valve more. This makes the water flow through the coil faster and it comes out colder. I almost never turn on the cold and hot together as it causes it to pulsate and go from hot to cold..I have the 20 cu. fridge. Given a choice I would go with the 19 cu. ft. double door. Cheaper too. Freezer will the be on the top and easier to reach into. They both have icemakers. I doubt that I will use my icemaker as ice isn't a big priority. Too much hassle to winterize. I'll just shut it off and use a couple trays for ice. Bedroom heater is just great, you can use it as just a fan also. JMHO.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #12

Forgot to add . I have the carpet with the extra pad. probably worth it but still not very plush. I wouldn't want all tile. I added the backup cam through Amazon. Got the 48 model which works well while driving also. probably less expensive that way. Took 5 minutes to install. No bike rack here. That thing looks pretty flimsy. No slide toppers. I can find an ottoman that will work if I decide I need one. I have the recliner/rockers not the theater seats. Very happy with our rig and the way it is set up.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #13

Gottoys thank you for that feedback. Very interesting about the tankless water heater, so no winterization necessary for it I assume? So when you use just the hot water only to shower and not the cold, do you get enough pressure? I will be using a Oxygenics shower head which helps with pressure anyway but was curious how the pressure is just using the hot but no cold.
Do you know if there is there a Cedar Creek Facebook page I can join?
Have you been happy with the overall quality of the rig compared to others you have had? I assume you have had others? I am just looking for a better built rig, lots of issues with past rigs with build quality and overall issues. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #14

Gottoys forgot to add that I believe the 34RE you have to order the 20 cu ft ref ridge, I think its the only one that fits in the actual space it has for it. I believe that is what the options list said it was mandatory.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #15

It's not a very active page, in my humble opinion. But here is a link to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CedarCreekR...SEARCH&fref=nf
DLoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Gottoys thank you for that feedback. Very interesting about the tankless water heater, so no winterization necessary for it I assume? So when you use just the hot water only to shower and not the cold, do you get enough pressure? I will be using a Oxygenics shower head which helps with pressure anyway but was curious how the pressure is just using the hot but no cold.
Do you know if there is there a Cedar Creek Facebook page I can join?
Have you been happy with the overall quality of the rig compared to others you have had? I assume you have had others? I am just looking for a better built rig, lots of issues with past rigs with build quality and overall issues. Thanks!
Water pressure is the same whether it's hot or cold. Hasn't been an issue. There are two ways to winterize the water heater but only one is a viable option. If you could reach it there are a couple screws to remove to get to a drain valve on the back, but it's buried behind the water heater. Otherwise you just leave all the bypass and shut offs alone and run anti-freeze through the system. It only holds a couple qts. and according to Suburban that will work fine. Just a note..if you are ordering yours you can order it with a 12 gal std water heater. If I hadn't bought mine off a lot I would have gotten that only because it runs on gas OR electric instead of just gas. Electric is often included with a lot of sites where I camp. This is my eighth new trailer. I've done this a lot of years. There are better units available, but for the money I think this is as good as there is. Good solid well engineered construction. Not a lot of cheap frills, lights and do-dads to fall apart. Name brand carpet, furniture and appliances. Lots of satisfied owners. The option to purchase a second year factory warranty at a reasonable $250.00. Most competitors won't even offer this. I will upgrade the tires, change to disc brakes and upgrade the suspension in the near future but that's just me. I'm pretty fussy about upkeep and it has resulted in zero problems on the road. Knock on wood. We spend 100 plus nights in our trailer and usually put on 4-5,000 miles a year. That's what we buy them for. So far we have only used this one about 15 nights so there hasn't been enough time for a good evaluation but so far so good.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #17

gottoys thanks for all the good feedback. I did not see where the gas/electric water heater is an option on the Hathaway...I thought they just said the one you have is now standard, its not on the option sheet but I will check into it. I would rather just have the gas electric. So it's ok to run the rv antifreeze inside the tankless one, thats interesting. What tires do you want to put on yours, the Goodyear 614's? I wonder if the Maxxis tires can handle the load of the Hathaway in the 34RE, I have gotten good feedback on those tires from everyone who has them have been very happy and they are not expensive like the Goodyears even though those are good tires. I would love to have disc brakes put on at some point as well as shocks. Wonder how those never adjust brakes are that are on there? I really like the underbelly construction on the Cedar Creeks compared to the others, my current fiver's enclosed underbelly is a joke. How has you hydraulic leveling system been working? My current electric one has had many issues and repairs. I am not going to opt for that cord reel, seems like it takes up valuable space right at the entry point to the cargo area, I will just put it in a container like I have all these years, noticed it was an option and might not opt for it. Are there speakers in the bedroom for the radio or just living room and outside? Does the inside radio/cd player run the outside speakers? I am glad they are using Jensen products, they make decent audio equipment. What state do you live in and camp in the most?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #18

Gottoys I just noticed you have a chevy silverado so do I but a 2500, that is why I can only go with the 34RE because the hitch weight is light enough for me to tow, all the others are too hitch weight heavy. I do like the 34RE though so it will work well for me if I end up getting one ordered this winter and delivery in the spring. I wanted to ask you about your B&W hitch, how do you like it and how long have you had it? Did you have it delivered to your home and you put it in yourself? Very heavy to lift? I want to replace my Reece I have had for years and I really want a B&W, should I go to the 18K, was thinking about the 16K. I also noticed you have the trailair hitch, how do you like it? I have the MorRyde now and really like it but I know it does opposite to what the trailair does, mine really cuts down on the back and forth and side to side motion, yours really helps with the stress of the up and down motion on the rig and tow vehicle, I have heard mixed reviews about it and wanted to get your opinion on it, its not a cheap upgrade but would definitely do aftermarket MorRyde again for sure. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #19

We have the 17 Hathaway 34 RE, and love it. The awning cover is well worth the grime I don't have to clean. The fridrge also good option. We have the tankless water heater and like it, although we glamp with full hookups so don't worry about low flow. We did not like the elevation difference of the ell shaped couch so ordered ours with a straight couch. Didn't order the ottoman but should have. This is our third 5er, and, overall, the best one we have had. Enjoy!!
AandJWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #20

SilverbackMel has 33rl. Top TrailAir, factory installed. Many thousands of miles since 2015. Hard to believe 5er is even back there.
Like the fact of inflatable cushion.

I am pretty sure Mor Ryde would give similar performance.

Went x country for 3 months in 2011 with same size Keystone 5er and std pinbox. Beat the HELL out of us.

Same truck. Same hitch. 2008 Dodge, 2500, 6.7, quad, short bed,
with added helper springs ( vs airbags ) installed in 2011.

Soooo, it ain't da truck; it's da "tow" 😂. Since 2015 CC, no instance of any doors or cabinets opening, nothing ever fell off a wall; 👀😁
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote