Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Feedback on those that own a 33IK

I am thinking about ordering a new 2017 Silverback 33IK. Wanted to hear from those that own one, have you been happy? Many problems? Is the quality everything they say it is? Has anyone ordered one with the 200W solar panel?
I wish they had a tire upgrade option... Waiting to see if they have added any new options for 2017, Forest River does not have anything online for 2017's. Any feedback is appreciated. I am thinking about getting rid of my current Palomino Columbus I have had numerous issues with. Live the camper, hate all the issues. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
fivermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #2

If I had waited I would prefer the 35ik. Much better bathroom layout.

2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #3

I agree, however it's too long in length for me at just over 41ft and the hitch weight is just over 2,400lbs which I cannot do.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

We have had ours since April of this year. 2 small issues, no tire upgrade that I know of. We have thermopane windows, much cooler in summer and quiet also. Definitely 2 airs, and auto level up. Any questions just ask. We have the Anderson hitch, I really like it also.

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

I have a 2016 33IK. I happened to get a "lemon" so the first year we seldom went anywhere that something didn't fall off, break, or burn up. Build quality was just sad. CC was good at sending me a fresh water tank, dump valves, LED ceiling lights, decals, wood drawer fronts, wood panneling to replace compromised panneling throughout, and slide seals that were torn as my selling dealer damaged more stuff attempting initial repairs than they fixed. Once all was replaced the first year and my fiver made whole, this year has been pretty worry free each time we make a trip. We do like the layout and it has tons of storage space. It pulls well down the road. I copied the rear spare tire carrier design, made one, and installed it. The spare taking up most of the front storage compartment was just nuts. We like the peaked roofs on the slides as it seemingly makes it more roomy, but it does make rain water run right off to the entry steps getting you a bit wet upon entry during a rain. When the main level slides are pulled in, the carpet bunches up against the island. When you deploy the slides, it takes a little while for it to lay down right. The cushions on the rear couch tend to work forward while traveling. They catch on the slides when deploying just a bit. We put some velcro squares under them out of sight that cured that issue. If you're used to latching closed the microwave vent for whatever reason ... you'll need a ladder. The front A/C is noisey, but it is on all Silverback/CC models. The A/C return ducts (at least on mine) are just formed by the ceiling panels up against the rafters. Unfortunately this draws (some) hot air from the attic instead of return air from the living area making the A/C a bit innefective. Dropping down the grills and taping or calking the rafter to panel gaps pretty much cures the issue ... it just requires patience. Suck a quart or so of fluid out of your hydraulic reservoir and add the Caterpillar or Torco oil recommended by Lippert to eliminate popping by the Level Up cylinders. When I picked up the fiver at the dealer, I immediately swapped my nearly new Michelin LT tires from my Montana. I have no faith in the China Bombs they put on new units. There will be several come after my response with the cymbals and tambourines touting how little was wrong with theirs ... we each have our own experiences ... I'm just responding with mine.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

What's the Anderson hitch you are referring to? Is that an option? I didn't see that if it is. I didn't see any kingpin option/upgrade at all, is there one?I appreciate all your feedback good and bad....Well I know we all have our problems and I am not expecting it to be perfect, I just know the overall build quality, hung wall construction, true gell coat and better underbelly material and overall insulation and having a fully enclosed underbelly unlike the nightmare underbelly material I have that has lots of gaps where water gets in when driving through rain and then I have a belly full of water, not good! I like how CC has their underbelly done, much more efficient. Not sure if I understand that front air conditioning issue or loudnesss, can't be louder than my regular bedroom AC that is not a quiet air...that thing is like a freight train. Anything has to be quieter than that. My rig itself hasn't experienced the major issues I see happening to the Columbus with walls delaminating/separating, soft floor issues which I believe they have now corrected. All of these rigs have had to go back to the factory for repairs. I love the overall interior of the Columbus better than the Silverback for the money they make a fantastic interior. Hidden hinges on all cabinets, Silverback doesn't, I have a full fiberglass shower, Silverback doesn't, those are my only two pet pieves about the Silverback. I welcome the two quiet airconditioners, hydraulic jacks/levelup as opposed to my electric and a good sealed underbelly. Also like the option of having a 200W solar panel which I would definitely order.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

The Anderson hitch is the hitch that mounts in the bed of your pickup, it is a ball atop a pyrimid stucture. It comes with a special adaptor that attaches to you fifth wheel pin to make it work. I replaced my OEM pinbox with a Fifth Airborne air ride pinbox. Works great! CC's come with the Trail Air air ride pinboxes and can be ordered on your Silverback. As for my comment on the front A/C ... although ducted both supply and return (quiet air) ... it is nearly as noisy as the previous center dump units. No fix for that as it but 6' above the bed with the roof as a pretty good resonator. If you put out a bit more money and step up to a Cedar Creek ... they have a better cabinet build with hidden hinges and more eye candy throughout. From what I hear about the solar panel ... it has a special plug or something to make it work and is not all that impressive compared to custom installs that people research and add on.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

I made a mistake on the spelling. It is the AndersEn Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. Easy to remove from bed of truck. The aluminum one ways 35 pounds. Loosing 3 bolts and pull a pin and you lift it right out.
I'm not trying to convince you it's the best, you have an option to use your truck bed.

What could go wrong?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #9

Ok thanks for the clarification. As far as the pinbox goes I have a MorRyde I am very happy with which I might transfer over to the new one if it allows. As far as all the bells and whistles on the CC compared to the Silverback, yeah I know but it also costs a lot more too, not sure the price increase outweighs the extras.. Do you think it does? Isn't the build of the rig exactly the same whether a Hathaway or Silverback? Is the front quiet air just as noisy on the Hathaway as the Silverback?
As far as the solar goes, I heard it's great to keep those batteries charged up. I know some people run their fans all the time inside keeping it much cooler. I just think it's the convience of the whole thing, go power who makes the unit that they use has a very good reputation so I would assume it's pretty decent.
The 1 1/4 inch bike hitch as an option on the back of the unit I heard is not big enough to carry two bikes, it flops around way too much causing damage the the actual bikes, someone had some kind of adapter that connected right into it that also held the bikes that I heard worked great and was very sturdy but I cannot think of the name of it. Would love some feedback on those that carry bikes. My Columbus has that 450lbs carrier on the back which I would miss a lot for carrying my bikes, they are one of the few that have that.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #10

I forgot to mention, when you go to where their options are for Silverback, I do not see any option for an upgraded pinbox.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

Any dealer that wants to make the sale can simply call the regional rep and add to the order about anything such as pinboxes, ceiling fans, 7K axles, dual pane glass. Thats how we got the extras we wanted ... it just took $$$$$.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Which upgrades did you do that were not listed and why? Thanks! I am really surprised their are no tire upgrades, heck even Jayco is offering the Maxxis tires as an upgrade on the lower priced Eagles.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #13

I upgraded to Maxxis tires, check with different tire stores. They credited me $200.00 for my stock tires.

What could go wrong?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

2016 33ik

I have a 2016 33IK and love the layout, colors, furnishings, etc.
We opted for the 8 cu ft refer to get a bigger pantry to the left of it. They moved the island slightly to the rear as well, but did not move the two overhead lights over the island. I don't know if they corrected that, we had a third light installed to match to throw light on the island (dealer did this and did a crappy job - screwed the fixture just into the ceiling panel, no reinforcement - fixture started falling down on the ride home). We did have the ceiling fan in the living area added (from the factory), similar to the Cedar Creek model. I also had a switch added inside by the door to operate the overhead light in the hallway from living area to bedroom. Nice to have when you open the door from the outside and it's pitch black inside. I believe this was also standard on the Cedar Creek.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #15

Good to hear! How long did you have it before that cap started fading? Thats what I like about the Silverback, no dark cap, all white with decals.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbubba View Post
We have had ours since April of this year. 2 small issues, no tire upgrade that I know of. We have thermopane windows, much cooler in summer and quiet also. Definitely 2 airs, and auto level up. Any questions just ask. We have the Anderson hitch, I really like it also.
X2 on Andersen Hitch. Flawless.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
Good to hear! How long did you have it before that cap started fading? Thats what I like about the Silverback, no dark cap, all white with decals.

My 2013 Cedar Creek started to fade at about 15 months and my 2015 started to fade in 11 months

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #18

We've had our 33IK for nearly a year. The only real issue we've had is the CO2 detector had to be replaced. The dealer mailed a another one to me and it was an easy replacement. Our previous unit was S.O.B. and it was in the shop 6 times the first year. Following a trip back to the factory, one of the issues had still not been repaired. We've been pleased with the 33IK and would recommend it.

Mark
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
markfromark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #19

I have a 33RK, pretty much same except for layout. The residential fridge is great option. Having solar and a couple of golf cart batteries to go with it means you will have plenty of power while driving and for an odd night without hookups.

The build quality I had was very good. My expectations about cabinetry, carpet and fixtures was not high just average. They met them. I had no warranty claims just a black tank valve seal that gave out and I didn't bother to take it in for a warranty claim.

Get 2AC units but remember these things are noisy. The Champagne edition IMHO is more show than substance. But get the all the packages as they are more cost effective than individual upgrades.

Get the upgraded bed but Throw away the bedspread and fake pillows. They have to be fireproof so are made of something more appropriate to a science lab coat than a bedroom.

If you are buying to live in full time go to the cedar creeks, if you are towing to explore the lower weight of the silverback is a plus.

Hitching and unhitching us a pain so look for one that is easy to use and dependable, a slide is a plus if you can afford (that indented cap only helps so much).

The auto level is great. Unhook, push a button and while you connect the water and electric the trailer levels itself.

Be realistic. If you spend X for a trailer you won't get Y quality. If you think $20k is worth it for better carpet or cabinets then your choice. We camp, my house has nice cabinets but camping I am looking for layout efficiency durability, etc.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote