Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Newbe

Filling Fresh Water Tank

With my old 5th wheel camping where there are no services, filling fresh water tank involved pouring water into fresh water input. With my new Cedar Creek, the fresh can only be accessed using garden hose type attachment with switch in fresh position. After wintering last season using the built in wintering attachment there is also a tap that stops anti freeze from entering fresh tank. My question.....could the fresh tank be filled using wintering hose and having the tap open to the fresh tank using trailer pump? Simply 5gallon pail of water pumping straight into the fresh tank!
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
With my old 5th wheel camping where there are no services, filling fresh water tank involved pouring water into fresh water input. With my new Cedar Creek, the fresh can only be accessed using garden hose type attachment with switch in fresh position. After wintering last season using the built in wintering attachment there is also a tap that stops anti freeze from entering fresh tank. My question.....could the fresh tank be filled using wintering hose and having the tap open to the fresh tank using trailer pump? Simply 5gallon pail of water pumping straight into the fresh tank!
Yes. Been doing that for years with several rigs.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

You can fill from an external tank with your winterizing siphon. Take the sprayer off of your shower and connect the hose to your city connection. Set the valves for winterizing.
Open the cold on your shower. Set the fresh fill valve to open. Turn the pump on.
The above is from my memory of years ago so it may not be "exactly" accurate cause a lot leaked out.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Newbe

Thanks captnrick3 and Duckogram for your help. I can hardly wait to try it. My shower line won't work because it has a snap in fitting similar to air pressure hoses for air tool's.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #5

Great idea! Wish I thought of that earlier. What I did . . . I have a 6 gallon freshwater plastic "jerry" can with a long plastic nozzle (bought from any RV store). I went to a big box store and bought 3' of 3/4" braided food quality clear hose, and a 3/4" barb to male garden hose adapter. Connect the garden hose fitting to the water inlet, shove the open end of the hose over the nozzle, and pour it in. Not as easy/convenient as pumping it, but works pretty good.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
Thanks captnrick3 and Duckogram for your help. I can hardly wait to try it. My shower line won't work because it has a snap in fitting similar to air pressure hoses for air tool's.
On mine, the spray nozzle was a standard garden hose type so I just unscrewed the nozzle and the "snap fitting" just stays in the fixture. i.e. you use the blue coil hose as a link from the fixture to the fill fitting.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #7

Newer Cedar Creeks you don't have to go thru the whole outside shower hose deal. Simply set the gravity / city water lever to gravity / open the T valve going to the winterizing hose stowed in the convience center wall / stick the hose in a bucket / turn on the water pump
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Newbe

I wondered about that but wasn't sure, since it would be force filling from the bottom up rather the old usual way of filling from the top. Makes sense though as filling from city pressure also would fill from the bottom. Thanks for the info and am anxious to try it.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #9

It seem several brands are going to filling the fresh water tank via the convenience center instead of having a gravity fill port in the side of the RV. They are probably saving $10 to their bottom line. I really don't see anything "convenient" about filling from the convenience center as far as sanitizing the systems or adding water to the tank. It can be done, but it takes longer and was just plain simple to do what you had to do with the fill port on the outside of the RV. I bet it sure looked good on paper to some design engineer who doesn't RV.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #10

Duckogram was correct and I was in error about filling your fresh water tank via the winterization hose. You do have to use the exterior shower hose attached to the fresh water fill port ... nothing happens using the procedure I mentioned above.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Newbe

Thanks guys. The time of the year is nearing when I will have to be trying out one of these methods for filling fresh water. You'd think this would be part of the design or trailer manual instructions as I'm sure there are many RV'ers that are needing fresh water and city water pressure is not available.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank