Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Unhappy Fireplace optional?

When we were shopping (and salesmen were selling) we had several dealers tell us that we could delete the fireplace from a 33ik when we ordered but that the factory wouldn't give us any $$ off. OK, I think the fireplace is silly and would rather have the extra storage so I said fine. Now that I have ordered the trailer I'm told that no, the factory won't leave it out. I'm pretty sure that I have seen pictures of other Cedar Creek units with cabinet doors in place of the fireplace. Has anyone ordered a unit without?

Rod
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

I hear what your saying. I kinda felt the same way when we first got The Beast. "Why in the world would we need a cosmetic item taking up precious cargo space"? Well, that fireplace has been a God send when the outside temps dip down or the trailer is damp and all you need is a bit of drying out without firing up the furnace. That fireplace throws a good amount of warmth right up stairs into the bedroom too which makes it a comfy nights rest. Give it a try, you just might enjoy it.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrod View Post
OK, I think the fireplace is silly and would rather have the extra storage
Hi Rod!

Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your new Cedar Creek - they are really nice units!

You will find, I believe, that a fireplace is not silly. In fact if you do any cool/cold weather camping at all, you will find it indispensable!

When we had our 5th wheel (33') we could leave the fireplace on and using a small fan to direct the warm air to the bedroom, sleep in temps down in the low 30s and never have the furnace kick on! (no furnace = no propane use for heating )

Added Bonus: on those chilly mornings it feels DA*N good warming your toes by the fireplace while you sip you morning beverage of choice
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #4

X3. DW insisted on it and she was right. We use ours alot in the spring and fall to take the chill off.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I hear what your saying. I kinda felt the same way when we first got The Beast. "Why in the world would we need a cosmetic item taking up precious cargo space"? Well, that fireplace has been a God send when the outside temps dip down or the trailer is damp and all you need is a bit of drying out without firing up the furnace. That fireplace throws a good amount of warmth right up stairs into the bedroom too which makes it a comfy nights rest. Give it a try, you just might enjoy it.
I have a small electric heater with a thermostat on it which takes up much less space and I have been happy with it for years. I'm sure the fireplace will take its place but GRR. Oh well, I'm sure I'll learn to love it.

rod
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
WFD

Ours is not a Cedar Creek so rules may be different, but we factory ordered our Rockwood, and we ordered it intentionally without the fireplace. We like the extra storage.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Agreed. Initially we didn't know it actually put out heat, and thought it was kinda stupid. Now we use that puppy almost every morning.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
DDC

I really like having that fireplace, the heat it gives out is great on those not so great nights and mornings. There is so much storage space in that unit already (I can't fill it).
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Ours is not a Cedar Creek so rules may be different, but we factory ordered our Rockwood, and we ordered it intentionally without the fireplace. We like the extra storage.
We did the same. We've got 4 nice storage compartments (with doors) in place of the fireplace. My small ceramic heater with the same wattage as the factory fireplace fits nicely in one small corner of one of those compartments, leaving room for a lot of other things we wouldn't be able to have nearby had we opted differently.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #10

I didn't see the value... until we actually used it. After that, it was the chit. Being electric has its benefits too... since your campground fee pays for all-you-can-use electricity!

Save your propane when you can.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #11

We enjoy the heck out of ours 😀Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1477621595.295448.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	124051

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #12

We love our fireplace also but you gotta go with what makes YOU happy!
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #13

We thought it was silly at first but we really like it now. I usually get up earlier than my wife and turn it on to take the chill off on cool mornings without the need to run the noisy furnace. The amount of space gained by taking it out wouldn't amount to much in our rig.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrod View Post
I have a small electric heater with a thermostat on it which takes up much less space and I have been happy with it for years. I'm sure the fireplace will take its place but GRR. Oh well, I'm sure I'll learn to love it.

rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Just so you know

Take a look at the new Riverstone design - the fireplace slides out on a track and there is storage behind the fireplace!

Ummm...since the fireplace is only 8-ish" deep, I would think a enterprising person could pull the fireplace, put it on a slide out, and have the same storage as you have in a Riverstone, if storage is that critical to you.

Just Say'n
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote