Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #21
Canadian Member

I think its misleading to simple say Forest River vs. Grand Design. Both companies have multiple brands to serve all price points. You need to compare brands at the specific price point you’re considering.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
We have been hearing more and more negatives about Forest River. Many say Grand Design is better. Also many say that Forest River doesn't have good customer service from a factory standpoint in regards to comments or issues with the product. They state Grand Design is involved if contacted instead of a dealer. We have owned our Forest River Cedar Creek for 3 years with no issues. Next few years we will be looking for a replacement and like your advice. Thoughts?
I have dealt with both manufactures and GD will take care of the customer better than FR.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
I have dealt with both manufactures and GD will take care of the customer better than FR.
What brand of the Forest River line do you currently own?

I have had no issues what so every with Cedar Creek line at all. They have taken care of me will beyond the warranty period with issue for my trailer. As I stated in one of my pervious post, after 4 years of ownership of my Cedar Creek. The division paid for both of my end caps to be repainted and decaled to eliminate the fading of the end caps that was taking place.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I think its misleading to simple say Forest River vs. Grand Design. Both companies have multiple brands to serve all price points. You need to compare brands at the specific price point you’re considering.
I figured with us owning a Cedar Creek that showed the class we were looking for. Sorry if this is misleading.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #25

Forest River doesn't take care of anyone. Forest River doesn't manufacture trailers. Forest River owns 86 company/branded manufacturing facilities. Many are very different than others.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #26

I know this is anecdotal, but we have a Coachman Catalina. I've been incredibly underwhelmed at the build quality and lack of quality control. When I got it home I noticed things like inside the cabinets, where they cut holes in a wall to run plumbing/wiring, they simply left all the saw dust and wood scraps laying inside the cabinet. A marker light had no bulb in it. Wires are strained and chafing because they didn't cut them an inch or two longer to leave slack. That said, I know this is one of FR's lower price point or mid line units. We've used the heck out of it and been happy.

A neighbor got a brand new GD Reflection 5er. In three seasons, it's been in the shop more than it hasn't. Part of that is because the dealer General RV has been awful to work with. However, problems included the hole for the slide unit being too big for the slider so none of the seals fit right. The kitchen slider was maladjusted and ripped up the flooring. Lots of other minor issues since day one that he has not been able to get fixed.

So I think that a) dealer support makes a huge difference and b) both brands can have their issues.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Forest River doesn't take care of anyone. Forest River doesn't manufacture trailers. Forest River owns 86 company/branded manufacturing facilities. Many are very different than others.
News to me. Thank you for clarifying my ignorance in the matter.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #28

Quote:
News to me. Thank you for clarifying my ignorance in the matter.

I did NOT mean to be condescending at all! forgive me if I did.

I just know that almost EVERY gripe on here will say "Forest River Sucks" when many of us have trailers bought from Divisions that have gone far out of their way to make us happy, and are easy to deal with.

One Division even has a Muckety Muck come on this site and help people constantly!!! I never ever read where he says "Go Pound Sand" like many folks claim FR says to them. He's nonstop helpful.

Forest River obviously has corporate employees. I'd bet Frog Bob is one (although that's just my guess). I know one that is. But for problems with a specific unit (trailer, MH, etc), it isn't Forest River that you deal with. And some are just apparently way better than others.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but we have a Coachman Catalina. I've been incredibly underwhelmed at the build quality and lack of quality control. When I got it home I noticed things like inside the cabinets, where they cut holes in a wall to run plumbing/wiring, they simply left all the saw dust and wood scraps laying inside the cabinet. A marker light had no bulb in it. Wires are strained and chafing because they didn't cut them an inch or two longer to leave slack. That said, I know this is one of FR's lower price point or mid line units. We've used the heck out of it and been happy.

A neighbor got a brand new GD Reflection 5er. In three seasons, it's been in the shop more than it hasn't. Part of that is because the dealer General RV has been awful to work with. However, problems included the hole for the slide unit being too big for the slider so none of the seals fit right. The kitchen slider was maladjusted and ripped up the flooring. Lots of other minor issues since day one that he has not been able to get fixed.

So I think that a) dealer support makes a huge difference and b) both brands can have their issues.
I can understand that. Guess same as a car dealership. We bought a Buick two years ago. They were all over the sell but once you drive off you are on your own. Again the biggest negative we see on the internet is many are left out in the cold when issues arise or support us needed. There are a number of things we don't understand about our RV 5th wheel but support is almost impossible to find. Even our manuals are not helpful. I bought a John Deere tractor the other day and have a better owners manual than my FR. So we hunt and peck till we figure it out and then try to remember all of what we learned. It's all good just seems a lot is missing in today's competition.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #30

Quote:

I just know that almost EVERY gripe on here will say "Forest River Sucks" when many of us have trailers bought from Divisions that have gone far out of their way to make us happy, and are easy to deal with.

One Division even has a Muckety Muck come on this site and help people constantly!!! I never ever read where he says "Go Pound Sand" like many folks claim FR says to them. He's nonstop helpful.

Forest River obviously has corporate employees. I'd bet Frog Bob is one (although that's just my guess). I know one that is. But for problems with a specific unit (trailer, MH, etc), it isn't Forest River that you deal with. And some are just apparently way better than others.
Sorry I didn't mean to come across that way. Words have no emotion so can be taken wrong. In a nut shell we at times feel very isolated when it comes to learning more about our RV. Company, dealer, or manufactor support is very frustrating. Also asking question on some boards we recieve mean and unfriendly responses. This causes this 61 year old to isolate ourselves even more. We are not what some would call as newbies when it comes to RVs. Nobody knows everything and if they think they do then please stay away from me.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #31

Quote:

Thank you no problem here. Text do not show emotions. In a nutshell we just think it's odd that its feast or famon when it comes to operation to our RV. My John Deere tractor comes with a better owner's manual than our FR. And to find support via dealer, manufactor, or company is next to impossible. You would think in today's time there would be a product available that owners could work with to enjoy there RV without all the confusion. Our manuals only show install information. Not helpful when on the road.

I know this is crazy but a while back I had a co tinued issue with a chain store. That being Best Buy. They local service was awful. I went to the corporate headquarters and they got involved hand straightened out the local branch. This is called accountability. Reason for the start of this post is it seems like in the RV business it's wide open with nobody being held accountable for there product. They are awesome at selling you a product but suck after you drive off. Leaving this 61 year old man to fend for himself. This I find very disappointing. Thank you for your wisdom and comments.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean to come across that way. Words have no emotion so can be taken wrong. In a nut shell we at times feel very isolated when it comes to learning more about our RV. Company, dealer, or manufactor support is very frustrating. Also asking question on some boards we recieve mean and unfriendly responses. This causes this 61 year old to isolate ourselves even more. We are not what some would call as newbies when it comes to RVs. Nobody knows everything and if they think they do then please stay away from me.

That saddens me, because you sound like a good guy, and I know everything.

Wife told me I do. Well, she said I THINK I do, or something like that.

I don't know squat. But I've been at it a few years and glad to help.

I know this...........folks on here, and folks I've camped with, know 100X more than any dealer I've run across, and way more than a lot of manufacturers. I don't mind a little "edge" in folks posts. They can't find me, and even if they do, they can't kill me, and even if they kill me, they can't eat me.

Most interesting threads have many posts. I fly through some of them, but don't care if they're mad or sad or glad. I either try to learn, try to help, or try to make you laugh. All 3 are good.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #33

Owners manuals across the board in this industry are generic. What can save you is the fact that all manufacturers use many of the same components ... Coleman, Lippert, Dometic, etc. These should all have a manual included with your packet.
As far as FR vs GD, within a price point, they are similar in quality. I've toured both factories. I think GD has a better inspection process, but stuff still slides through on occasion.
We had a Shamrock hybrid. It was a very good camper, minimal issues. When we wanted to move to a conventional tt, we checked out nearly everything on the market in out area. Thor stuff we eliminated early on. Bullet looked really cheap, Outback was too heavy for my truck at the time.
Narrowed it to Rockwood..Flagstaff ultra lites and GD Imagine.
All were good, we could have been happy with any, but the FR products were a lot heavier than the GD, and I had a half ton at the time.
So we went with the Imagine. Had it for a year and a half now with minimal issues. Seems like a great camper. I'm sure we would have been just as happy with the Rockwood. Actually, it was my number 1 with GD being 1A, but I was scared of the weight. As it turns out, the half ton didn't like the GD either so I got a Ram 2500.
I know, lengthy post, but personally, I think if you are comparing equal product lines, you won't go wrong with either company. What I have read on this forum and GD forums and Facebook pages, I would say the support from GD is better after the sale. Not my experience, anecdotal.
Good luck.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
��. A little info about that picture would be appreciated...
In full agreement. I see skid marks on the pavement: is there a car on the other side that hit it broadside? No visible damage to the bottom of the rear section as if it "just fell off" It is kind of nice to see the apparent well made roof truss and good quantity of insulation with a air space above it
Way more details needed
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 AM   #35
herman

Quote:
We have been hearing more and more negatives about Forest River. Many say Grand Design is better. Also many say that Forest River doesn't have good customer service from a factory standpoint in regards to comments or issues with the product. They state Grand Design is involved if contacted instead of a dealer. We have owned our Forest River Cedar Creek for 3 years with no issues. Next few years we will be looking for a replacement and like your advice. Thoughts?
Forestriver sucks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forest River Forums mobile app
duanegnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #36

Hey Tex if you could make it to one of the FROG Rallies you would find a lot of helpful owners to help steer you in the right directions, even try to find out if the Cedar Creek Owners club is having one you could attend ( BandJCam could assist here ) they have a lot of knowledge to pass on. If you could make the international Rally in Goshen that would be the best as techs are on hand and a lot of seminars to learn more about the rv operation are offered. Good luck and hope you find the help you need.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #37
Broken Toe

I've had 2 FR campers. Neither has ever been back to the dealer, so 'dealer support' or 'FR taking care of customers' is meaningless to me. Build quality was right where i expected a mass-produced, piecework-paid RV.

The secret to serenity in owning a camper is to be self-reliant. I see people get beaten up into a lather going back and forth with FR or their dealer over some issue that could be solved for $15 and 10 minutes time...

Yeah, sometimes there are major issues that are beyond simple repair, but the VAST majority of peoples complaints about quality can be handled by 90% of owners.

You might say "but i shouldn't have to fix it myself" and in a perfect world, you are right. But in a likewise perfect world, i wouldn't have to work 60 hours a week on salary. Yet here we are...

The little stuff will sour your soul. But ONLY if you let it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #38

Forest River VS. Others

Interesting thread, can't help but chime in with two words folks, RESEARCH FIRST! We decided on a Class A for many reasons and our research started about a year before we settled on the Forest River FR3. After comparing many other top brands at the SAME price point with similar options, FR came out on top, hands down. Browsing forums for other top brands, including this one will always yield a mix of good and bad stories. People tend to post BAD experiences, not good ones 8-). Go to the RV dealers and see your top choices first, take the time to go to an RV show or two, you can learn a lot from current owners not salesmen! My best advice from a Doctor who was trading his current Class B was "Buy Your Second RV First"! Good advice, make sure you get the options you want first, if the DW is not happy, you won't have it long 8-). So anyway.........We logged 10,000 miles in our 2018 FR3 the first year and with very minor issues! We towed a 4WD on a trailer with kayaks and our FR3 performed great, very satisfied! Yes, you can get a lemon in Cadillac, but if you do the research, the odds are in your favor. Forest River took take of every issue we had, no problems. IMHO, maintenance is the key, take car of your RV and it will take take of you....
Old 05-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #39

We have had several RVs. Our latest is a Forest River Forester 2291. Love it. Especially the quality of the build.
Also they have company men that go around to FROG get together and teach about the units and really are helpful. Last one gave everyone all kinds of fuses and necessary items.
We have been very satisfied.
Good luck.
CDRJML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #40

I too have heard good things about the grand design, My wife and I live in a Riverstone 39fk and love it the few times I called support they were awesome, If we hadn’t bought the Riverstone we would have bought a Cedar Creek probably, we are all over the country for work and I felt the Riverstone was better built for the winters in the north as well as the hot summers
JojoCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river