Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #1

Forest River vs. Grand Design

We have been hearing more and more negatives about Forest River. Many say Grand Design is better. Also many say that Forest River doesn't have good customer service from a factory standpoint in regards to comments or issues with the product. They state Grand Design is involved if contacted instead of a dealer. We have owned our Forest River Cedar Creek for 3 years with no issues. Next few years we will be looking for a replacement and like your advice. Thoughts?

TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #2

We went from a Cedar Creek to a River Stone Legacy and are very pleased with the factory support from both brands. I will not knock Grand Design as I have heard good and bad things about them but have also heard they offer good factory support as well, I did have a dealer selling Grand Designs and he said a Solitude would be a latera move from a Cedar Creek as far as quality went. Good luck but check out the River Stone line to step up from your Creek or even the Champagne from Cedar Creek

dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

How did you like the Cedar Creek? You said that you had no issues? Why change? I have had 3 Forest River fivers and was happy with all of them.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #4

In my very humble opinion you get what you pay for. I base this on my experience with a Thor Product a Keystone Cougar. This was a low cost unit compared to my current 5er a Cedar Creek.

I never have had any issues with my dealer and or Cedar Creek resolving my issues on my 2016 34RL Cedar Creek unit. Last fall Cedar Creek division worked with my dealer in getting the end caps repainted on my unit. No cost to me at all just sometime without the trailer. Cedar Creek division has step up several times when I needed service and or warranty repair when the unit was less than 2 years old.

I am not sure you will get the same service out of Grand Design, now that it is own by Winnebago. Also like any product you will have there cheerleaders and detractors on said product. I think there are more pluses with the Cedar Creek line than negatives.

Just my $0.02.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

The Cedar Creek factory just paid to have my front cap repainted, my Cedar Creek is four years old. The factory has been very good to us. Just saw the plant manager yesterday. The factory may be coming out with shorter campers, I will definitely look
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The Cedar Creek factory just paid to have my front cap repainted, my Cedar Creek is four years old. The factory has been very good to us. Just saw the plant manager yesterday. The factory may be coming out with shorter campers, I will definitely look
This is what I was hoping to hear. On a Facebook forum, I had so many states that Grand Design was the only way to go. We love our Cedar Creek but was just curious to other FR comments. We have looked at both but they seem to not be as nice as our FR Cedar Creek. They look more like cheap Mobile Homes. Our RV was right at 89K. Thank you again for your comments and especially no rude and mean comments for a simple question.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Broken Toe

Its your money. Don't let internet whiners decide what you spend it on.

tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

We just got a 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL and I can't think of what else I would want? It listed for $116,500 and we paid $67,997. It was in September 2018 and the 2019 were already out and had changed quite a bit and we really didn't like the new ones. They, Camping World, had two of the 2018 Cardinals and they wanted to get rid of them.
We have not had problems with Camping World except long wait for repairs or warranty work
They are busy most of the time
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #9

Have owned Forest River and currently own a Grand Design. I like the GD product better. Have owned a Solitude and now a Momentum. Customer service with GD is fabulous. Product is fantastic. Did not have good luck with Forest River. Both have good and bad and you will hear good and bad. Just go with your heart

bryanteddie0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

We bought our Hathaway last year.

Being engineers the DW and I found our comparison of different models had grown to several pages.

The structural engineer preferred the Hathaway. Substantially. Exploded diagrams of the units.

The GD was prettier.

In the last decade the deck chairs on the Titanic have been shuffled. Hard to say who owns what or who. Nothing from 2 or 3 years ago means anything in my opinion.

You are sort of on your own.

The majority of fivers never see the dealer again.

We thought the Hathaway and any CC was a tougher unit. We thought better value for the $. however not as pretty.

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river