Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Not to speak to anyone in particular--here is my take.

So I go out and buy a car with a fender that is smashed in. Get a heck of a deal on it for that reason. Based on the logic Im hearing here I should go buy insurance on the car then ask insurance company to repair it because fender is messed up.

So my take is that the OP bought this unit knowing about the faded cap. Thus getting his good deal. In no way should FR pay for it. Maybe FR give him a deal if he go to the factory? Maybe??

Heck maybe FR already paid to fix it and previous owner kept the check & traded it in. Lots of factors here that are unknown.

Russell
You are 100% correct. I also would call the factory and see what they can help with, then compare it to a paint shop Quote: When you buy a used trailer you also buy the problems that it has period...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #42
Site Team

Now "hooooold on thar!!" (Said with my best Quick Draw McGraw imitation.)

This is just me- KyDan speaking now and not any "official Forest River Forums opinion".

We get it that a lot of caps have faded. It seems that the mfg is trying to do the right thing with original owners but balking at fixing used 2nd hand rigs.
There has been LOTS and LOTS of talk about this issue.

MY Forest River Rockwood Ultralite was a very good trailer. I had ZERO big issues with it over nearly 6 years and thousands of miles. Why do you think it's OK to call me a glee club member if I say that I liked my trailer??
Just because YOU have a bone to pick with FR doesn't mean everyone else does nor do they/we all have to agree with you!
Name calling anyone who disagrees with you isn't playing nice.
Speak your piece and move on.
It's not your job to change everyone's mind to agree with you.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #43

Dan...

I don't get it. Just repaint the caps for maybe a couple hundred bucks at any reputable bump shop, and move on. It's used, even if it was bought and never occupied.... IT'S STILL USED.

I'm 67 years old and I learned as a kid that USED MEANS AS IS and due diligence in the part of the second buyer (research FR's warranty, you can that online real easy) would spell that out (warranty don't transfer to subsequent owners)....

Quit whining and go get it painted and move on....

Non issue with me....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #44

I listened to a lot of people on a Wildcat site that's no longer up about how much they loved the Wildcat. I took a long trip from Warsaw, NC to Goshen IN to the factory at Christmas to tour the factory and meet the people that was in charge of building them. I met Wildcat Chris and the general manager and was treated very nice, they answered all the questions we had and pulled a camper out from storage and let us go inside and look. They were great. We also toured the the Heartland factory because we were interested in a Bighorn RV , I knew more about the camper than the person that gave us the tour. We came home and ordered the Wildcat and low and behold the Wildcat that we ordered became a Polecat. Wildcat would not fix the camper right and the camper was under warranty. I still know people that have Wildcats and love them but the one that was built for was not right. We traded at a loss and the Wildcat only set in the lot for less than a month before it was sold, it was a very pretty camper. But the people that brought it brought it without any warranty, to me it was the prettiest camper I have ever seen. DW likes the Cedar Creek we have now and I am under water on this camper, I can't trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Not to speak to anyone in particular--here is my take.

So I go out and buy a car with a fender that is smashed in. Get a heck of a deal on it for that reason. Based on the logic Im hearing here I should go buy insurance on the car then ask insurance company to repair it because fender is messed up.

So my take is that the OP bought this unit knowing about the faded cap. Thus getting his good deal. In no way should FR pay for it. Maybe FR give him a deal if he go to the factory? Maybe??

Heck maybe FR already paid to fix it and previous owner kept the check & traded it in. Lots of factors here that are unknown.

Russell
You would be dead wrong. The unit was in near perfect condition when we bout it. There were no physical flaws. We had NO IDEA about issues with fading.
kway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #46

Well just like any other problems you have with your camper fix them and move on, after all look at all the money you saved by buying used

Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Dan...

I don't get it. Just repaint the caps for maybe a couple hundred bucks at any reputable bump shop, and move on. It's used, even if it was bought and never occupied.... IT'S STILL USED.

I'm 67 years old and I learned as a kid that USED MEANS AS IS and due diligence in the part of the second buyer (research FR's warranty, you can that online real easy) would spell that out (warranty don't transfer to subsequent owners)....

Quit whining and go get it painted and move on....

Non issue with me....
If it were "a couple hundred". Dollars it would be a non issue. Quotes i have gotten range between 2200 and 3000.
And .......its a "non issue" to you because you don't have the problem. In my case it was a hidden defect. I did the research and knew of the issue. It looked great when i bought it. Started fading about 6 weeks after. Either you put out a product thats quality and you stand behind.....or you dont. Just because you are not affected.....doesnt mean its not a problem for others.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #48

[QUOTE=kway;1358762]You would be dead wrong. The unit was in near perfect condition when we bout it. There were no physical flaws. We had NO IDEA about issues with fading.[/

Well sorry then. Sorry I could not be of any assistance. Just hard to know all the back issues. Good luck with your journeys.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
If it were "a couple hundred". Dollars it would be a non issue. Quotes i have gotten range between 2200 and 3000.
And .......its a "non issue" to you because you don't have the problem. In my case it was a hidden defect. I did the research and knew of the issue. It looked great when i bought it. Started fading about 6 weeks after. Either you put out a product thats quality and you stand behind.....or you dont. Just because you are not affected.....doesnt mean its not a problem for others.
Agreed.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #50

You know you can bad mouth Cedar Creek all you want but Cedar Creek is adding a day to there work week to build more Cedar Creeks, they did work four days a week and now it will be five. They have a backlog on Cedar Creeks , if I was going to buy a new camper it would be a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. But buy what you want. But before I would worry about something on my camper I would take the loss and trade for something else. But do what you want

Old 11-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #51
DDC

I stopped looking at used campers a long time ago purely because the warranty was not transferable, no secondhand dealer told me this, I only found out by reading the information put out by the manufacturers on their brochures. I sympathize with the OP but I do not blame Cedar Creek for their action on this.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #52

Spock123

Tried to PM you but your mailbox is full and won't accept anymore for the time being.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Spock123

Tried to PM you but your mailbox is full and won't accept anymore for the time being.

Try again. I think I cleaned everything up

Old 11-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
If that's the case you're going to the wrong shops. I had both caps painted on my previous Heartland product. The front was done at a big truck/bus bodyshop. It cost $1500.00 It was paid for by Heartland. The rear cap was done a couple years later. I was out of warranty and the factory wouldn't pay for it. I accepted that and just paid. It was done at at a Auto body shop with a spray booth that was barely big enough. I paid $1,050. out of my pocket and moved on. I had some pretty high quotes from RV dealers that would have just sent it out and skimmed some profit off the top.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #55

Having the caps painted will end up costing more than just a couple of hundred dollars. I will still stand strong on the fact that Forest River and Cedar Creek continued to put these same caps on units despite knowing about the wide spread fading issues and THAT is why they should be held accountable. As I've said before manufacturing hiccups will happen like the light over the bed and the drawer glide nearest the fireplace. I don't expect FR to fix those things. But the front cap issue ishiuld be reason enough that they are culpable.

Moving on ... I've got other issues that I need help finding workable solutions to.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:42 AM   #56

Kway I feel for you and agree with you.
If you hang around these forums long enough you too will become conditioned to the fact that most manufacturers will jump on any opportunity to not pay for repairs to their faulty products.
I had a Primetime unit that had a faded cap in the first six months after manufacture and I was the first owner but Primetime had a way out of their responsibilities so they took it.
Unfortunately this behavior is becoming accepted practice.
I suggest that you find a way to move on as I had too.

Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaka View Post
Unfortunately this behavior is becoming accepted practice.
I suggest that you find a way to move on as I had too.

Ethically I have a problem with the "accepted practice".
Old 11-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #58

I have a problem with people that buy used and don't know what the term is buy as is.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have a problem with people that buy used and don't know what the term is buy as is.

Once again. When making an investment into a home, RV or car one would expect certain things to last like the end caps and exterior finish. When a company purposefully pushes manufacturing numbers up and continue to put proven poor quality parts on the units then ethically they have a responsibility to all owners regardless of pecking order.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #60
Canadian Member

2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote