Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Freezing Nights and Protecting the 36CKTS

We are from Texas so we have no idea what cold is, I need some insight.

We are going to take the 36CKTS for a holiday trip a little to the north, it will be in the teens at night usually and maybe a few days in the single digits at night. I think all the days will be above freezing.

I've bought insulation for all the low point drains and will wrap them well.

Is it better to fill the fresh water tank and use it or use the water hose and disconnect it at night?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Definitely disconnect the water hose at night - or get a heated hose (they are expensive though - @ $100)

Turn on your tank heaters, keep your interior above 65º and you will be fine - we have camped in the cold a lot with no problems as all.

And yes, keep at least a 1/2 tank of fresh water so you can shower or whatever without going outside in the chilly air to connect your hose in the morning
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

What Bama Bob said. Also, don't let the tanks drain into your sewer hose. I did that one very cold night and had a poopsicle in the AM. Expect to use a lot of propane. I carry a couple of portable electric heaters to help.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Also open your cupboard doors, so anywhere there are water pipes, they will keep warm.....kitchen, bathroom, Don't depend on portable heaters entirely, keep your furnace running to keep your basement area, where your pump and water plumbing is, warm. Your furnace has to be running in order for that to happen.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Might want to put a piece of foam board at the basement door if the wind will be blowing on it. That's happened once to me. Within 5 to 10 minutes it was good to go but it was-7 with a steady 15 mph breeze.

If no electric heater I would guess a 30 lb will last 2 maybe 3 days depending on how warm you want it.

I would fill the fresh water tank and take hose loose and drain it. If a heated hose you still have to heat tape the hydrant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Just to be sure I put a electric heater in the basement

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Just to be sure I put a electric heater in the basement

For those of you with a 36CKTS. That slotted vent next to where your trash cans are, opens into the furnace area, which is open to the basement area. So the basement should be getting warm air from in the trailer. One of these cold nights I think I'll put a thermostat in the basement to see if there is a difference.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

I have put a thermometer in the basement to check the temperature, it stays warm down there, I just keep the electric heater down there as insurance. Heat rises so the heater helps out a little in the camper

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

Keep all tank valves closed and drain when needed. If left open the trickle drainage will freeze and can block sewer hose.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Living down South, I simply have put an extension cord with a light bulk at the back corner of the house refrig in the 36CKTS to alleviate the freezing of the frig ice maker solenoid. First year I didn't think of that and guess what? I use a freeze receptacle that comes on at less than 40 and goes off at 45 degrees to resolve the solenoid freezing issue.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #11

Good points all, and I use them all. It took a few years to get the learning curve right with all the little things that make a difference. In addition, I use reflectix on all my windows overnight to maintain ambient heat. Of course during the day I want the sunshine to work its magic. Vent pillows and covering my AC unit also helps.
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote