Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #1

Full body paint touchup

We're looking at a 2013 Cedar Creek Touring Edition with the full body paint. I'm concerned about maintenance and how to keep it looking good. I know from past experience with a white 5er you have to recaulk seams and I even had to replace some of the trim. How do you do this on full body paint and keep it looking good? Is touchup paint availability from Cedar Creek for the Touring Edition paint colors?
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #2

I have full body paint on my Aviator and found it seems inevitable that you will get rock chips and other scratches. I got a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer when I bought it and if you look close you can see where I've used it. Overall, I like the looks of full body paint and once you accept the fact it will get scratched I think you will really like having it. I wax mine once a season to keep the shine up.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I figured it's just a matter of touchup. I don't like daubing touchup paint on things but I guess the advantages of paint would be worth it I won't buy another white rv with decals.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Every RV has it's issues that are generic to the BUILD. No different than your home with the exception that your home is stationary and not suffering from ROAD ABUSE, twisting, turning, bouncing, etc. 😁
If you ever know or talk to a semi driver with 30 years or more driving, you quickly understand the harshness of the road!
Full body paint, which I do not have, is, in my opinion, the better choice. At my age, already talking about selling the house in Atlanta, moving BACK to Florida, condo, ( St Augustine) and getting a smaller travel RV.
Having been in and around cars and trucks with high gloss paints all of my life, I will say that covering rock chips, etc., are very difficult to defend against.
Make your choice; get the best chip protection out there at the time, get that touch up paint and keep it in a climate controlled area, use it sparingly.
Enjoy your unit and DON'T SWEAT THE INEVITABLE CHIPS.
The worst case will be a re paint at trade or point of sale. A small price to pay considering the enjoyment and pride of your gleaming beauty.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

I love my full body paint BUT BEWARE, if anyone is interested in purchasing the vinyl outside windshield covers; the lower side window corners have magnets in them to keep cover in place. I just found out that the covers' magnets ruined my paint job. I'm just sickened by the amount of damage!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

WOW!! Sorry to hear!! �� was there any warning in the packaging? You may have legal recourse. I would check it out and consult with counsel. Your point of purchase may be paritially liable. Don't quit in frustration. A $100 attorney letter might bring you financial relief of some sort!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

That's a very good idea to look into. I threw out the box, but it was purchased from Camping World online. I researched windshield covers before choosing the gray one for my Mercedes Solera. Never did I see any warnings. The magnets gave excessive scratches, worse than a dog's and also pulled off half of the other paint on the other side when it must have been windy.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #8

Ps- this is the Overback windshield cover manufactured by Classic Accessories.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #9

Just FYI AGAIN, Marcus Lamonis, does not want adversity as he is building a BRAND in Camping World as a leader in the industry. You NEED TO REORDER ASAP ON LINE AND COPY THE DISCLOSURE WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE BOX. You can return the new, unused product either by mail or in person at any CW.
I am confident once he personally knows, you will get your satisfaction.
2 yrs ago at a Good Sam Rally in FL, he gave a person we met a brand new motorhome in lieu of their problem unit they had purchased at CW and traveled in it for almost a year! He did this as a statement of commitment to his brand. I would think in your case, demands will be made of the mfgr for a proper disclosure or WARNING, or product cancellation. That, of course, is providing the disclosure or warning was not in the packaging! You really need to start there!
Remember, lots of unsuspecting users are NOT ON THIS FORUM!
Slogan of US Army Signal Corps:
THINK; GO; DO!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #10

SilverbackMe!, thank you, that is a good idea to look at the packaging like that. It's hard to believe that I see so many of these covers everywhere when I'm camping and the manufacturer has not changed their design. I can easily see the magnets rough powder coming off through the vinyl: