Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 12:16 AM   #1

Furnace issue 36CKTS

Recently I notice the drawers and counter top above the furnace have been really warm to the touch when the furnace has been running. I keep can goods in the bottom two draws and the other day went I reached into the bottom drawer to get a can of soup the can was actually hot to the touch. I pulled the drawers out to inspect the furnace area and could feel hot being blow out of the rectangular opening on the top of the furnace. I have shut the furnace off until I get this resolved and am using the fireplace and a space heater which is more that adequate for the current weather. Before I go calling and paying some service tech to come out to look it I was wondering if anyone else has had this occur with their furnace. Or does anyone have any ideas what can be causing this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151129_174620 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	95262
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

We have a 2011 34rlsa and have the same issue.
Not sure if this can be resolved...
As you mention as long as the furnace comes on for long periods of time things heat up,so like you we try to use our fireplace and space heater .
We try to camp as soon as we can here (early spring and in to October) and due to this we try to watch what we store in the draws and cabinet that close to the furnace...
Know this doesn't help but you now know "your not alone" but you are still able to be out there!
LJj

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Past RV's: Misc.tents,V.W.Campers('65,'69) 2012 Arctic Fox 25S.
[B]Camping Day's: Never Enough
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

I checked mine this morning after propane went empty. It ran for a half an hour and the drawer wasn't hot or even warmer than other areas.

I actually found the original bill of sale laying on the heater itself a couple of years ago.

If you are getting good air flow thru the vents I wouldn't have a clue. My guess there is a restriction causing the hot air to come out at the heater or duct work is not hooked on to heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

I haven't noticed the issue you bring up. However, I'm sure there could be some heat build up if the unit ran for a long time. I had my furnace out recently and noticed the rear cover does not fit well, so I used some foil duct tape to cover the edges. Secondly, I ran the foil tape along the rear of the cover where it meets the flooring to ensure there was no leakage. I suppose you could attach 1/8 " ply below to the drawer frame and cover it with reflective insulation.
2012 F350 King Ranch, Reese Elite 18 and Air Bags
Elkrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #5

i had the same problem but it was more with the cabinet next to the furnace then the drawers so i taped some Reflectix 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation-BP48025 - The Home Depot to line the side of the cabinet inside the furnace area. now the soda i keep stored on the bottom shelf stay at roughly room temp and not hot at all. I may put some on the bottom drawer now that people have mentioned it. ill check how that drawer is doing
Old 11-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #6

Hi Tom,
We met you at Azalea campground in Kings Canyon this summer. We were the hosts with the cedar creek.
On your problem I would make sure your exhaust is not plugged with mud rubbers. If it has good flow , I would check my floor registers to make sure I am getting the normal amount of air flow from them. My last 5th wheel had a lot of heated air leaking from from that cover so I tape it with that silver duct tape. That same furnace had caught a mouse in the squirrel cage. I think that cover gets weak from heat and looses its form. Hope it helps.
Jack
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #7

Today was the first day in several that it hasn't rained, so tomorrow I'm going to get out and check the vents and see if I can get a gopro in to look at the other side of the furnace. Was wondering does anyone else furnace have that large rectangular opening in the top as shown in the picture. That is where the hot air is being blown out of more than at the registers it feels like. Was wondering if it was missing a cover there. If I cant find any blockage in any vent or ducts I will try some of the reflective material on the inside of that area.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69 View Post
Today was the first day in several that it hasn't rained, so tomorrow I'm going to get out and check the vents and see if I can get a gopro in to look at the other side of the furnace. Was wondering does anyone else furnace have that large rectangular opening in the top as shown in the picture. That is where the hot air is being blown out of more than at the registers it feels like. Was wondering if it was missing a cover there. If I cant find any blockage in any vent or ducts I will try some of the reflective material on the inside of that area.
Looks like they left something off the top. Looks like the opening to the fan wheel. Mine does not have the large opening on top. Looks to me like that is where all the hot air is going, blowing right on the bottom of your drawer. You probably are not getting much warm air coming through the floor vents, looks like it is blowing directly at your drawers and cabinets.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #9

I didn't notice the opening in your picture until you mentioned it. The opening should not be there. It looks like they removed the cutout for top venting of the unit. Since ours are vented through the bottom, the top should be sealed. You can get a piece of sheet metal to cover the opening screw it in place and put foil tape around the edge of the sheet metal to seal it. You won't have a problem after that and the furnace will heat your living space faster. Easy fix!
Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

Second message. Be sure that the furnace has been cut out at the bottom so air is going through the duct system. I can't imagine that it is not cut out and if you are getting air through the floor vents it probably is ok. You may be able to see the opening at the bottom through the opening you have on the top now. At the same time, if you want you can put foil tape around the end cover, the side knock outs and along the rear of the unit where it meets the flooring. The extra foil tape is not really necessary, but it will ensure all of the heated air is forced down through the ducting and into the living space.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

I would cut a piece of sheet metal and seal up that hole. we have the same RV as you and there is no opening like that on the top of the furnace....
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #12

It is missing. I will bet it fell in the front where the cutout is in your wall. It was spot welded originally and like I said before the heat weakens the metal.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #13

Got in contact with local RV dealer in Ft Worth who got in touch with Suburban. As a couple of you mention, that top plate is missing. They told me the same as you all mentioned about cutting and attaching a piece of sheet metal and covering that opening. They said just use really short screws. Did that and taped all of the seams. Thanks for all the input.

Tags
furnace