Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Furrion Oven

For those of you with the new Furrion Oven, when you turn the knob to light and a temperature setting, is your oven light and the fan constantly running?

Our rig is at the dealership getting warranty work done and one of the punch list items is the oven which is off by 50* and is horrible to light. But one thing we noticed is that the cooling fan runs all the time even if the thermostat is set to just pilot light position (it does turn off when the knob is in the off position).

Just wondering if I need to add that to the list of things to fix.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

In reading other brand forums on the 'web', it seems that this has been a common issue...at least the temperature range issue. Our Furrion oven temp is off but we put an oven thermometer inside to track actual temperature. So far, I haven't baked anything but have tried to 'keep warm'. It gets too hot for that.

As far as the fan, ours runs when it's running. My gas ranges fans at home run when the ovens are on, too.

My light does NOT stay on, so as far as that goes, I'd have them fix that issue.

I plan to check the oven for baking purposes this week. Now I'm curious as to exactly how the temperature behaves. So I'll try and get back to you with my findings as far as temps are concerned but I do believe it's a 'thing' with the Furrion to be 'off' by several degrees. Some say up to 50 degrees. Hope not!
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #3

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST:
Furrion Model FSRD22LA-SS in an early 2020 CC Hathaway 34IK

Tested WITHOUT the Furrion baking stone or any other 'additions' to the oven other than an in-oven thermometer.

I was super curious to see how our oven really DID work so I went out tonight and did the following 'test'. So, apparently the light is SUPPOSED to stay on. My first use it did not but tonight it did. I'm okay with that. The fan, like I thought, is also supposed to stay on. It helps circulate air and moisture in and out of the oven. Like a home gas range would.

Since we are not currently using the 5th wheel, it's in the barn. Outside air temp is 54 degrees and of course it's raining out here in NW Oregon this evening, so the humidity outside is 98%. Inside the 5th wheel, the air temp was 61 degrees.

Here's my temperature findings:
The book says to let the oven preheat for 20 minutes. So, I let it preheat for 20 minutes. No big deal to me; my $2800 Samsung takes almost that long in the house to reach 'temp'.

First temp test: used an oven thermometer sitting on the stainless rack on the second level from the top. The dark blue 'shelf' was directly under it but I'm planning on moving it down later. I set the temp for 350 degrees. At EXACTLY 20 minutes, my oven thermometer read 350 degrees; the Furrion digital thermometer read 375 degrees. So the LED digital thermometer reads 25 degrees hotter at this pretty standard baking temp. It also seemed to 'hold' at 350 pretty well for a few minutes. The 'flame' was super low and blue and never went out.

Second temp test: With the oven still at 350, I turned the dial all the way to 475 degrees. In 10 minutes, it rose to 475 degrees on the oven thermometer and 500 degrees on the Furrion LED digital thermometer. This led me to think that it would still take 20 minutes to get to 475 if the oven would've been cold. Again, the LED read 25 degrees hot. It held pretty well here, too.

This is acceptable for me and unless it does something crazy in the next 6 months, I am not going to 'report' it as defective. My Magic Chef in our Eagle Cap truck camper was about this 25 degrees off for temperature also.

I hope this more accurate 'review/test' helps you out with yours.
I want to add that when cooking in a gas oven, if one isn't used to gas, it can be a learning experience. I have noticed in the newer gas ranges, the closer to the 'fire' you are, the 'hotter' the temp may be. So try to bake/cook in the smack middle of the oven if possible.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #4

I'm going to call the dealer today to make sure they check to oven out thoroughly. I don't understand why the fan would run even if in pilot light mode and the light being on as well. I want my Magic Chef back......
Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

That is a good plan. If you're not comfortable with the way it's operating it's best to have it checked out. If it IS all normal, then do the 'temperature' test like I did so you know how off the LED reading may be. Apparently that's 'normal', too. Like I said, it's not a big deal to me, but to some, it might be.

Please let me know what they say, whether it's all 'normal' or not. If 'not', then I'll be making a call to my dealer's warranty department, too. Propane appliances aren't something you want malfunctioning.

BTW, I did NOT like how I had to light the pilot on my Eagle Cap's Magic Chef. Almost had to be a contortionist to do so, but the thing baked fabulously for me without tiles, pizza stones or airbake sheets. I suppose it's all a learning curve with new appliances.

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #6

Trying to be proactive in transitioning to this Furrion from the Magic Chef that was in the truck camper.

Here's a bit more information on baking/roasting in the Furrion oven (any newer RV oven has this issue I guess). To keep your food from burning on bottom and being raw on top, LOTS of folks recommend either a pizza stone or UNGLAZED ceramic tile (not porcelain) OR an AirBake cookie sheet on top of the bottom rack with the holes in it. Either will disburse the heat so it's not just hot in the center of the oven.

I chose to go with the AirBake sheet because I couldn't find unglazed tile and the sheet is MUCH MUCH lighter in weight. Here's the one I bought:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airbake-L...Sheet/17300526

It was available on the shelf at my local Walmart for $9.28 today.

This cookie sheet fits EXACTLY over the solid metal lower shelf in the Furrion oven. I am not sure if that metal shelf is supposed to replicate the use of a sheet or tiles, but I got the sheet anyway and put it on top of the shelf. The blue shelf is a two part set up and the top part is very thin. I can't really believe that it's good for heat disbursement as it's steel and not aluminum. But who knows? At least it comes out so it can be cleaned if necessary.

Some say to leave the AirBake on that lower shelf while baking; some say to put it on the stainless rack shelf and set your baking pan on it. I'll probably try both ways depending on what I'm fixing and see how it goes.

Some say to use ONLY 'shiny' pans and not dark Teflon to avoid uneven baking/roasting. That supposedly helps with the even cooking. I'm going to line my shiny pans with no stick foil.

Hope you get your answers from your dealer.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Good feedback on the baking sheet @Chillaxin. I'll have to seek out one of those on my next Wally run.

We (well I) do a lot of baking in the camper. Was a baker for many years and I just love fresh baked goods. So for the RV we have a KitchenAid mixer and baking equipment that allows me to bake goodies while we relax (I consider baking a form of relaxation). Having an oven that provides consistent temps and even heating is important.

I called the dealer yesterday and they opened another (I'm sure among several) work order for them to address the fan and light constantly running when in pilot or baking mode. Something tells me I have a lemon....

Will post again once I hear/see the final outcome of this issue. However, I don't expect that'll be until another 60+ days as parts have to be ordered, installed, etc.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Good feedback on the baking sheet @Chillaxin. I'll have to seek out one of those on my next Wally run.

We (well I) do a lot of baking in the camper. Was a baker for many years and I just love fresh baked goods. So for the RV we have a KitchenAid mixer and baking equipment that allows me to bake goodies while we relax (I consider baking a form of relaxation). Having an oven that provides consistent temps and even heating is important.

I called the dealer yesterday and they opened another (I'm sure among several) work order for them to address the fan and light constantly running when in pilot or baking mode. Something tells me I have a lemon....

Will post again once I hear/see the final outcome of this issue. However, I don't expect that'll be until another 60+ days as parts have to be ordered, installed, etc.
Sounds like we're "kindred spirits" on the baking! Baking/cooking is what I love, too. You're absolutely correct on the oven heating.

I will be waiting to see what they say concerning your oven. Like I said before, having a high end Samsung in my home kitchen where the fan runs even when it's in 'ignite/preheat' mode didn't cause me to question the Furrion doing that. Honestly, I don't mind the light on...helps me see what's going on in there.

But if your dealer finds that those two things ARE NOT normal for this brand of oven, then I'll be contacting MY dealer too.

Thanks again! LOVE this forum. Always find answers to questions!!