Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

Generator charging our battery...is it possible??

Question for you regarding our 2013 Silverback 29 RE...yes.... we are a newbies with a fifth wheel.. My question... When dry camping and using a generator what do you need to do so that you can charge the battery? We have a Champion 2000...is there anything that you need to shut off/ ie a breaker. If we shut off the converter breaker, the plugs all work. If we turn on the converter breaker....generator says over load. So...is it possible to charge the battery with the generator? It was with our travel trailer. Thank you so much for your time.

We have our 50 amp plug/30 amp plug/15 amp/generator....
Fridge is on gas...running nothing else.
Thoughts?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #2

Have you tried to make sure everything (including the water heater) is turned off?

We use a Honda 2000 periodically and it works well - as long as we make sure other things aren't on as well.

kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablair View Post
Have you tried to make sure everything (including the water heater) is turned off?

We use a Honda 2000 periodically and it works well - as long as we make sure other things aren't on as well.
Yes, we have turn off the hot water heater, and microwave breaker. So confused....
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Sump ting is wrong. There is no way the on board converter would be overloading a 2kw genny. It's gotta be summing else. Turn off all th breakers except the converter and see what happens. If you have a clamp meter check the amp drawn and the voltage at the batteries. Otherwise you may have to take it in.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Sump ting is wrong. There is no way the on board converter would be overloading a 2kw genny. It's gotta be summing else. Turn off all th breakers except the converter and see what happens. If you have a clamp meter check the amp drawn and the voltage at the batteries. Otherwise you may have to take it in.
Thanks, we tried still not working. We do have an appointment with the dealer on Monday.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #6

Sounds like something else maybe running even with the breakers off... We have a Progressive Dynamics converter in ours (changed out the WFCO).. and with a 3KW inverter generator I can run the converter, frig (residential), and the A/C without any problems - Generator runs at high revs but it runs and keeps everything going.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #7

when i got my silverback the factory had wired the a/c to the same breaker as the converter. i moved the a/c wiring over to the a/c breaker that had nothing on it and all has been good. they really don't know what they are doing at the factory. if you are not comfortable with wiring take it to the dealer but maybe mention what i found. it may save them some time and maybe you some return visits if they have trouble finding the trouble. you could try turning off the converter breaker and see if the a/c works. if it does not you know they have it wired incorrectly.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoonut View Post
when i got my silverback the factory had wired the a/c to the same breaker as the converter. i moved the a/c wiring over to the a/c breaker that had nothing on it and all has been good. they really don't know what they are doing at the factory. if you are not comfortable with wiring take it to the dealer but maybe mention what i found. it may save them some time and maybe you some return visits if they have trouble finding the trouble. you could try turning off the converter breaker and see if the a/c works. if it does not you know they have it wired incorrectly.
Wow. That's incredible. I can't believe the QC is that bad, but I guess it is. Was it double wired into the breaker? Can't get away with that in a house, with the inspectors here in DENVER.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #9

yes it was double wired into the breaker. it was an easy fix.