Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

Gray Tank(s) Mystery--Solved!

We're now into our second year of ownership of a 2012 CC 36RE. At the end of the season last year, I took the unit back to the dealership for some minor repairs and adjustments. At that time, I asked that they check the volume of the Galley gray tank, as it seemed to fill up rather quickly and would "gurgle" when near full when someone used the shower. The service folks measured the volume of the Galley tank and found it to be 40 gallons.

According to FR specs, the unit has a total Gray Water volume of 80 gallons, so I figured that we had 40 gal. for the kitchen and 40 gal. for the bathroom. I also thought that the "gurgle" from the shower was because the two tanks were cross-plumbed for venting.

However, after using the camper for a month-long stretch with three grandkids this summer and having to drain the Galley tank almost every day, I decided to do a more thorough investigation.

I measured the amount of water that went into the shower--yep, it was 40 gals. What surprised me was that ALL the water went into the Galley tank. After draining it, I added water to the kitchen sink. Again, 40 gals all of which went into the Galley tank. When I subsequently added more water to the shower, I found that the water rose into the kitchen sinks!

So where does water go into the "remaining or extra" Gray tank? Surprisingly, it turns out that it's from the bathroom sink.

That is, Gray Tank #1 (on the monitor) is ONLY bathroom sink water. While Gray Tank #2 receives water from the shower AND the kitchen sink. What is confusing is that the release valves are labeled Bath and Galley (respectively, Tank #1 and #2).

Mystery solved! But...I don't understand why Forest River decided to plumb the unit in that way. It would (seemingly) make more sense to have ALL the bath water go into Tank #1 (Bath) and ALL the kitchen water go into Tank #2 (Galley). It takes a lot of tooth brushing and hand washing to equal showering and dish washing, huh?

BTW...when I brought this revelation to my dealer, he called Forest River and confirmed that, indeed, this is how the 36RE is plumbed.

Hope this helps others understand why their Galley tank fills so quickly...

Happy Camping!!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Gray one and two come out of the same outlet?

Turbs

Btw welcome to the forum!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #3

No, two different outlets.

On my '12 CC 36RE there are 3 valves: Black Tank, Bath (Gray #1 on the monitor), and Galley (Gray #2 on the monitor).

Since my unit is also plumbed for a washer/dryer (not installed), I suspect that the washer outflow would go into the Bath/Gray #1 tank. Otherwise, why 40 gal capacity for just the bathroom sink?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voortrekker View Post
No, two different outlets.

On my '12 CC 36RE there are 3 valves: Black Tank, Bath (Gray #1 on the monitor), and Galley (Gray #2 on the monitor).

Since my unit is also plumbed for a washer/dryer (not installed), I suspect that the washer outflow would go into the Bath/Gray #1 tank. Otherwise, why 40 gal capacity for just the bathroom sink?
I'm thinking you should be able to plumb gray one and two together.

Wouldn't be real hard to do.

Turbs
Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

I dont know if replumbing would void any warranty, I imagine it would, but I would be tempted to replumb so that all the galley water would go into the galley tank and the bath water would go into the bath tank.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm thinking hooking the two gray tanks together so as that you would have a full 80 gallon capacity between tanks.

They would equalize and fill at same rate.

Turbs
Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

I have a 2011 36 RE and kitchen sink is one tank and shower and bath sink goes to the other. I know this as I use my RV every weekend from may to October. I think they are giving you some bull. My two cents.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

How hard would it be for Cedar Creek to make little sign in the utility bay that shows a plumbing diagram? We seem to have to play detective on our plumbing when the factory knows when they build them. We have 5 valves on our 36B4 and with some help from the forum got confirmation of what I thought was going on. Managing the tanks without knowing what goes to what is nearly impossible. As it turns out we have 3 gray tanks. One for the washer/shower/master sink, one for the kitchen sink, and one for the outside kitchen sink/half bath sink. There are 3 gray tank valves, but to drain the stern tank you have to open two valves - the one under the rear slide and one of the two in the utility bay.

Since I have no problem typing, I am putting together a report for Cedar Creek that will document all their shortcomings, not just for our rig, but what they could have done that would have been valuable to us as an owner.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

See my thread about the same topic - for the 38FL...

- Gray #1 - Front Tank 40 Gal
Galley Sink and Shower

- Gray #2 - Rear Tank 40 Gal
Bathroom Sink and Washer (We don't have one)

Bought a bayonet valve and can mount that one and open both gray to allow them to level out and use the capacity in both. (both our gray come out the same line)

CC 38FL Gray Tank Issue
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #10

I like the idea of a bayonet valve to equalize the amount. I recently replaced the clear extension tube used for dumping the tanks with one that had a wash-out. I noticed that the dealer also had a wash-out extension with a valve...should have bought that one. Oh well, next time....

Tags
tank