Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Gray tanks

We are full timing. DH just got out of the hospital so I've got help now. [emoji4]

I do have a question about the gray tanks though: anyone know why they chronically read 1/3 full even though we keep the gray tank valves open?
kway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Drained debris will slosh/adhere to the lowest sensor first and cause a false reading on all tanks. You can purchase dissolver and fill and drain and flush and repeat to clear the false indications.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The tank sensors are notoriously famous for being incorrect whether grey, black or fresh.
There are companies that make better tank sensors but manufacturers do not use them because of cost.

If you leave the grey valve open, there is really no need to use the grey sensors and you will quickly learn if the valve is closed, how to gauge the tank fill level by just the sound of the water draining.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

Thank you both. These sensors have always read 1/3 full. We've camped one place that didn't have sewer connections. The gray tanks didn't fill up or at least not from what we could tell and they still read 1/3 full even after we dumped.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #5

I Agee the tank sensor are highly unreliable and hard to keep clean. We always leave our gray tank valves closed and dump after we dump the black tank to rinse the black tank "stuff" out of the hose. I'm not sure if it's as important to do the gray tanks that way as it is the black tank but I feel like they clean out better if I let them fill up rather than leaving the valves open.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
I Agee the tank sensor are highly unreliable and hard to keep clean. We always leave our gray tank valves closed and dump after we dump the black tank to rinse the black tank "stuff" out of the hose. I'm not sure if it's as important to do the gray tanks that way as it is the black tank but I feel like they clean out better if I let them fill up rather than leaving the valves open.

Ditto........😀.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post

Once a week we close the valves while we wash clothes, dishes, clean and take showers. Then DH empties the black tank followed by the gray tank.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

That sounds like a good procedure.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

It's interesting but almost everyone is a bit different about when and how to dump tanks.

We tend to let ours fill up until full or almost then we dump. A lot of folks dump every few days and some leave them open.

My point is there are many different ways... to get from A to B.

Tags
tank