Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Gray water tanks

I have a 2016 38CK fifth wheel, equipped with a washer and dryer. I have been using it now for 2 1/2 months here in FL. I normally leave both gray water tank valves open. Last week I decided to close the valve marked Galley (kitchen) for a couple of days prior to dumping the black tank. But before I could dump the black tank, the kitchen drains started gurgling and the water began standing in the shower. (The bath valve is Open) I opened the Galley valve and and the water immediately began draining from the shower. The idiot lights indicated that the galley was full and the bath was 1/3 full. I am 99.9% sure that the valves are marked correctly. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there some kind of crossover pipe connecting the two gray water tanks? Thanks. Dennis
Kayak30336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #2

I have the 2014 38FL and my shower drains in to the galley tank (marked 2). The bathroom sink and washer/dryer (if I had them installed) would drain in to tank 1. That is how FR/CC plumb these. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an equalizer or cross over valve but I believe some on here have installed one.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

We have and use a twist on valve at the end of large black pipe. Our black tank always has a little residual which comes out when you take the cap of and this keeps behind the door. If you ever have a bad valve, break a cable, whatever you're not stuck.

We also open both grey tanks if needed and they balance. Allowing us to go about a week without dumping.

Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Old 03-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

To Hutch333id; Thanks so much for the info. It now makes perfect sense as to what is happening to me. And I can even say that maybe, since I do have the washer, that is makes some sense to plumb it that way. One sink, one washer. One sink, one shower. Along the same subject do you happen to know the size of any of these tanks??
Kayak30336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak30336 View Post
Along the same subject do you happen to know the size of any of these tanks??
Both 40 gallon for a total of 80 gallons for the unit. Black tank is an additional 40 gallons too.

FYI, we also ended up getting a twist on valve the same as that mention earlier. None of our grey or black tanks would seal properly (debris in the gate). The dealer did fix them but as an extra precaution gave us the twist on valve with the sliding gate. It took a couple of trips before I realized why my shoes kept getting dumped on each time I took the black cap off, even though I'd emptied the tanks.

Hope you enjoy the rig, we love ours and can hardly wait until the new season gets started for us.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
StepanFetchit

StepanFetchit

I have an '07' FR/CC 37RTDS with both galley and bath gray tanks. Suddenly my galley tank won't drain but the bath gray as well as the black water tanks drain fine. All three have separate open/close type Electric Drain Master Valves with a manual slide gate valve at the 3" dump exit. All three valves are open. I filled bath sink and shower base with water then pulled plugs, they drain fine. I flushed toilet with clean water, it drains fine. I filled kitchen sink with fresh water then pulled plug. It takes about an hour or so to slowly trickle out and fill up with the bucket I have outside. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Also, any idea on where I can get a tank and plumbing layout on this rig. Fortunately the galley tank and electric valve is visible by removing the poly underbelly sheets. I've no clue where the bath and black water tanks are in this beast. If one of those electric valves stick closed I'd probably have to disassemble the whole rig to get to them.

Thanks
Rdeemat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

StepanFetchit ... you kinda hijacked Sue and Dennis's thread, but that being said ... if your galley sink drains slow ... perhaps you have something in the ptrap under the sink. Take it apart and check just like you'd do in your stick house. As for grey and black tank placement, they are generally under your main storage compartment or slightly to the rear ahead of your front axle. You'd be hard pressed to get any schemetic from FR for near anything.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
StepanFetchit

Yes I just realized the ways of my error and apologize. I'm very new to the forum and I'm still learning my way around. But after spending a few hours poking around I think I've got it.
Rdeemat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank