Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

GVWR Silverback vs Wildcat

Have been looking to upgrade 5er to meet our changing needs for a trailer. Basically longer trips with some snowbirding down south in the winter. Had been considering the the Wildcat 327 or 333 as we like the floorplan however the GVWR is only 1500# over the dry wt. After propane, battery, some options and our stuff I think we would be pushing the limits. The new floorplan of the Silverback 33RL with similar dry wts to the Wildcat but much higher GVWR are making me rethink. The bigger shower is a must have.
So my question is what goes into the construction of these trailers that more than doubles the carry capacity?
Wish the FR website would post a simple spreadsheet showing comparisons of their various product lines. I.e. Frames, axles, insulation, etc. the nuts and bolts, not the lipstick, if you know what I mean.
Have posted a similar question on the "Wildcat, Ask the Factory" post. Not sure if there is a "Wildcat Chris" representing the Mfg on this site but I'm sure there is enough expertise here to give me some feedback.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Always Learning

At a minimum, the axles under it are often times the limiting factor. The lower GVWR comes from lower rated axles.

However, Herk talked at length with an engineer at one of the manufacturers. They also indicated that other things go into the ratings such as frames and walls (so he couldn't just swap axles and suddenly have 2,000 pounds more capacity).

IMO, 1,500 would be a challenge to keep from going over.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Very strange...with an exception or two, the Wildcat eXtraLite campers have more carrying capacity than the regular Wildcat product line. Who would have thought that!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #4

I'm not going to bash a FR product so as a previous owner of two Wildcats and now a Silverback owner, buy the Silverback.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Campfire Master

I wonder what changed since the intro of the 327CK. I have one and the brochure at the time listed the CCC as 1971lbs. Haven't had any problems with either of the Wildcats I've owned....but the Silverback is one fine unit.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

They have made some minor layout changes, some additional options and a major change with a new frame. From the comments on the frame MFG website it sounds like the new frame should be stronger and lighter which you would think would improve the CCC. What's ironic is the new frame is a "drop frame" so there is more space in the basement to carry stuff yet the CCC is reduced.
New specs are: Pin 1815; dry 10410; GVWR 11,999; CCC 1446. Can't remember the old specs but sounds like its a bit heavier, especially on the pin and CCC is reduced. AVID did you weigh your unit fully loaded. Would be interested in your results
With various options that we would want the CCC would probably be reduced to 1000# for our stuff. After weighing our trailer this past summer I was surprised how much our stuff weighs.
My focus is moving to the Silverback or one of the Heartland products, Sundance or Elkridge.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
They have made some minor layout changes, some additional options and a major change with a new frame. From the comments on the frame MFG website it sounds like the new frame should be stronger and lighter which you would think would improve the CCC. What's ironic is the new frame is a "drop frame" so there is more space in the basement to carry stuff yet the CCC is reduced.
New specs are: Pin 1815; dry 10410; GVWR 11,999; CCC 1446. Can't remember the old specs but sounds like its a bit heavier, especially on the pin and CCC is reduced. AVID did you weigh your unit fully loaded. Would be interested in your results
With various options that we would want the CCC would probably be reduced to 1000# for our stuff. After weighing our trailer this past summer I was surprised how much our stuff weighs.
My focus is moving to the Silverback or one of the Heartland products, Sundance or Elkridge.

As you do your research with other brands of trailers pay attention to any posts about delamination and then look for posts about delamination with Silverbacks.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Bob...are the Silverbacks 'hung fiberglass' construction for the exterior walls, same as the Cedar Creeks?

Dave

Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Bob...are the Silverbacks 'hung fiberglass' construction for the exterior walls, same as the Cedar Creeks?

Dave
Yes they are Dave, but it's not just the hung fiberglass that makes a big difference. The skeletal structure of the Silverback is like the high end trailers too. I guess it's obvious that I'm hooked on Cedar Creek products.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #10

So Dave, educate me. Is hung different than laminated? Are there other manufacturing processes? I assume, based on your comments that hung is the best method but why? Does this eliminate the famous "delamination"
Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Have posted a similar question on the "Wildcat, Ask the Factory" post. Not sure if there is a "Wildcat Chris" representing the Mfg on this site but I'm sure there is enough expertise here to give me some feedback.
I replied in the Wildcat section... more to come on this, but over in Wildcat country and not here in the land of Cedar Creek:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post489427
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
So Dave, educate me. Is hung different than laminated? Are there other manufacturing processes? I assume, based on your comments that hung is the best method but why? Does this eliminate the famous "delamination"
Here's a link from CC that describes the construction methods:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/downlo...cktoBasics.pdf

The CC construction method was one of the primary reasons we chose to go with a CC vs. other manufactures. It does eliminate typical delam problems that you may experience over time with laminate construction.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Dave's not here but here is what my understanding of the processes are:
Laminate - A thin sheet of resin gelcoat is applied to a backing, usually luan, by rolling it. Jayco uses a vacuum bonding process thought to be superior.

Laminated Wall - The laminate is backed by foam block and an inner backing thereby creating a solid structure. This method is used for structural integrity in place of full framed wall.

Gelcoat - A liquid material, epoxy or poly-resin, used over a composite to create a smooth, shiny surface.

Hung Fiberglass - A wall that is applied to a full frame. The fiberglass is much thicker and it is not a laminate although it may have a backer that the fiberglass is applied directly on.

The big differences from my perspective are structural integrity, durability and ease of repair.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I see some good info has been provided on laminated vs hung wall construction that should answer your question. The hung wall construction is usually found on the higher-end RVs were the additional cost of construction isn't as much an issue.

Dave

Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Charli, don't mean to rain on your parade, just a head's up. I also have a 2008 Ram Laramie mega cab CTD. I went to the ram body builder site after the fact, meaning after we bought our silverback and was surprised to learn that the payload on our truck is only 1580 lbs.!! Yours will be slightly more due to being a quad cab. My solution, firestone ride rite airbags, it makes it handle very well, but the numbers??
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #16

Thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming. I think I am becoming a Silverback convert. The construction techniques seem to be a cut above. The CC is too heavy for my TV and too many $'s for my wallet but nice to see I can get basically the same construction quality on the SB.
Prairiecamper, we are neighbours and have PM'd before. Like you I may be heading south to make my purchase unless I can get Classic Trailer sales to come close. Where did you buy yours. Don't worry I have my umbrella out. The payload shown on my door plate is about 1950. Went to the scales this summer and with the truck loaded, DW, hitch, dog etc I had about 1350# of payload left for my pin. Hooked up my 1/2T towable 5er and was 500# over my GVWR but had lots of room left on my axles. What a joke! Don't want to turn this into a wt discussion but Airbags and possibly deletes and tuner are in my future. You'll be able to tell my rig. It will be the one with the black smoke coming out the back.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #17

We bought ours at Jeff Couchs R.V. just north of Cinncinati Ohio, last year about this time, but remember the the Dollar was about at par. It's also approx 2000 kms. one way. The payload is a joke considering the GAWR is 6000 lbs. However love the truck and the silverback, what part of YWG are you in?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #18

Silverbacks' cathedral ceilings are a nice touch but I have read that if pulling the slide in when it is, or has, been raining you end up getting water dripping off the edges of the slide roof and onto the interior floor or furniture. Is this fixable or simply a function of the design that you have to live with by mopping up the water. You'd think the seals would act like a squeegee keeping most, if not all, of the water on the outside.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #19

On a different post someone put on some small gutters and it works great. I have to find the posting again so I can look into it. So far I have been lucky and its not raining on those days.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #20

You have to keep in mind that the Silverback and the Wildcat are at two different price points with the Wildcat being considerably less expensive.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788

Tags
cat, wildcat