Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Always Learning

Interesting... I have the Companion hitch and gooseneck/Turnoverball, too. I can't release my gooseneck hitch when the u-bolts are putting pressure on the square post. Do you have to loosen them or the draw down bolt first?

Do you have a flatbed truck? Or regular pickup truck bed?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #22

I have a regular pickup bed, I pull the pin from under the truck when I take weight off the hitch. I pulled the pin before I hooked up to camper, I have heard of someone who left the pin out and put right many miles towing camper. It was so easy that I will not ever try to lift out hitch again by myself. My hitch has a pin under the bed of pickup, you just pull it out, that way you don't have mess with hitch post, just pull that pin
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
Always Learning

Interesting! We have the exact same setup. I'm going to have to try and pull the handle on mine today to satisfy my curiosity. I could have sworn I tried to do it before and it wouldn't release. If it does, it'll save me an up and down from my tall 4x4 as I remove the hitch.

Thanks for answering the question even though it wasn't part of your original post. Neat how these forums work and we can all help each other even when the discussion strays.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #24
Denver, CO

Get an 1 ton foldable shop crane. They are awesome for this and many other lifting and rolling tasks. Fold up and roll out of the way...
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Get an 1 ton foldable shop crane. They are awesome for this and many other lifting and rolling tasks. Fold up and roll out of the way...
X2 thats what I got.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

To answer dougs last post, if the hitch is installed properly ( torqued bolts in correct sequence) and follow manufacturers instruction, you cannot pull the pin on the lower part of the turnover hitch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
To answer dougs last post, if the hitch is installed properly ( torqued bolts in correct sequence) and follow manufacturers instruction, you cannot pull the pin on the lower part of the turnover hitch

Yep. I can't pull my gooseneck pin to release the post when my draw down bolt is tight. I don't know how you can loosen the draw down bolt with the coupler in place. I'm still curious how this worked for the OP.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #28

I agree, have to loosen u bolts and draw down bolt to release hitch
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #29

Well all I do is pull the pin under the truck and the hitch comes off. I do not have the money to buy a lift to just pick up the hitch every so often. Every now and then I need a clean bed and all I have is me and DW and she does not pick up nothing heavy and now not me. It sure is easy to leave hitch hooked up to the pin box, pull the pin and lift the camper up with the level-up, hitch comes right up, works like a charm. I did not install the hitch, I would have to cut a hole in bed of truck, I hired someone to install the hitch and they must have got it right, I have pulled 30RL about 10,000 miles with no problems. Stuff I know I can't do I just hire someone else and let them do it
Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #30
Oklahoma Proud

If you have the companion hitch, then your install shop did not educate you on the proper removal/ install process for proper hitch mounting. The hitch needs to be drawn down to the bed AFTER the lower pin has been engaged. This eliminates any slop and decreases the likeliness of any pin or bolt shearing, or premature wear/ failure. Just trying to keep you safe.
I work in the collision industry and have replaced many of these hitches that were damaged, and have even had to replace my own after I was in a collision pulling a gooseneck trailer.
- many in here can offer proper install method or you can go straight to b&w's website and download, has torq specs and all.
Stay safe!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
If you have the companion hitch, then your install shop did not educate you on the proper removal/ install process for proper hitch mounting. The hitch needs to be drawn down to the bed AFTER the lower pin has been engaged. This eliminates any slop and decreases the likeliness of any pin or bolt shearing, or premature wear/ failure. Just trying to keep you safe.
I work in the collision industry and have replaced many of these hitches that were damaged, and have even had to replace my own after I was in a collision pulling a gooseneck trailer.
- many in here can offer proper install method or you can go straight to b&w's website and download, has torq specs and all.
Stay safe!

Well I have to admit you are right, I went to B&W web site and then I watched one installed on you tube and the hitch needs to be tight against the floor of truck. I will fix that tomorrow and later on I may have someone else look at hitch just to make sure it is installed right. I saw some things on you tube that I want to look at, I want to put a new pin box on 30RL this year, not me of course, someone else thats done it before.