Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Hanging a B&W hitch from the pin, will it cause a problem

I have a B&W hitch and I want to hang the hitch from the pin for a short while, will that cause a problem. I can't pick up the hitch by myself and I want to buy some plywood. I only plan to leave the hitch on pin for a short while, what do you think?
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

A lot of folks do that. I don't think I would do it with a Superglide hitch as it could bend the release lever pin.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

I do not hang my hitch as I always have help with removing it from the bed and putting it on the roll-away (furniture movers).

Our neighbor hangs his on his Toy Hauler. The hitch can be damaged if someone comes along and pulls the pin and drops it (or they get hurt). So make sure you lock it on. There is less weight on the pin than there is when the rig is hooked up to the TV.... Certainly one could argue different forces as it hangs.

Several people I have talked with have discussed this with their hitch mfgs and all have said - No problem.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

My grand father has done it for years with several 5ers, he just leaves it locked and pulls the 4 bed pins and jacks it up and drives out. He's in his early 70s and its the easiest thing for him since he refuses to ask for help most of the time. He's never had any issues with it that we know of. Since most of these hitches have at lease 1500lbs of tongue weight supported on them I can't see them having issues with a 300-500lb hitch hanging there. That's like two adults sleeping in the bedroom.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Always Learning

Which B&W hitch and what type of attachment?

With the companion 3000 (with the turnover ball gooseneck), I can't release my gooseneck pin with the u-bolts tightened at all. The only way it might work is if you remove the coupler head, loosen the u-bolts to the point the base could be removed, removed the draw down bolt, unlatched the gooseneck pin, and then put the coupler back on, hitched up and lifted it high enough so the square post cleared the truck bed (pretty high).

I think getting the square post back into the whole would be quite a challenge when it is time to reinstall the hitch.

Finally, I'd be concerned back the weight of the hitch hanging against the pins that secure the coupler to the base. But then again, it's a static weight and way less force than it would see in a rollover accident.

You can probably do it. But it'll be tricky.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

I don't think the OP is referring to a Turn_Over-Ball type Companion, as that is removable in two parts (the Head and then the Base) neither of which weigh very much separately.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
B47

There have been some discussions regarding this here and on one other RV forum I follow.

This practice has its pros and cons - some people say they have checked with their RV and hitch manufacturers and most say they have been told there is no harm in doing this. Do a search for more information.

Personially I don't do this for two reasons:

1. We don't use our pickup TV for any other purpose than pulling our FW, so we don't need the flat bed.

2. IMO it just doesn't look safe or right.

YMMV.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
I don't think the OP is referring to a Turn_Over-Ball type Companion, as that is removable in two parts (the Head and then the Base) neither of which weigh very much separately.

RodeoGeorge
I'm not sure. B&W has a few models- the Companion with the TurnOver ball is the most common. But even with 2-pieces, I can see some people having an issue with the bulkiness...

Hopefully the OP comes back to tell use what she/he has.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

I have the one where you can take the head off and then take the base off but its a little to heavy for me to lift. I am not as young as I use to be, I hate to ask for help, if I can't do whatever I have to do then I have a problem. I plan to leave the hitch hooked up and release the hitch from the bottom, raise up camper, go get plywood and back under hitch and let camper down. I can get the hitch back in the square hole, my problem is to pick up the base by myself and put hitch back in truck. I have picked up to many heavy things in my life, after you reach 25 you look for a easier way, I have older arms and back.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have the one where you can take the head off and then take the base off but its a little to heavy for me to lift. I am not as young as I use to be, I hate to ask for help, if I can't do whatever I have to do then I have a problem. I plan to leave the hitch hooked up and release the hitch from the bottom, raise up camper, go get plywood and back under hitch and let camper down. I can get the hitch back in the square hole, my problem is to pick up the base by myself and put hitch back in truck. I have picked up to many heavy things in my life, after you reach 25 you look for a easier way, I have older arms and back.
Just make sure you lock the hitch on the pin with a padlock to prevent some inquisitive or mischievous individual from dropping it.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Owner/Operator

Quote:
I have picked up to many heavy things in my life, after you reach 25 you look for a easier way, I have older arms and back.

In jest.

Gee, I'm 71, but I think I forgot to look. Just a dumb retired Marine that always does stuff the grunt way.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Always Learning

How are you going to release the hitch from the bottom / what steps do you need to follow? There are a few different mounting systems that it's hard to offer input...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
How are you going to release the hitch from the bottom / what steps do you need to follow? There are a few different mounting systems that it's hard to offer input...
OP evidently has that figured out, he is just asking about hanging it. My Reese just has 4 pins to pull. B&W has a similar hitch also in addition to others.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
OP evidently has that figured out, he is just asking about hanging it. My Reese just has 4 pins to pull. B&W has a similar hitch also in addition to others.
Thanks for your input, but my question still stands for the Op.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I have a B&W hitch and I want to hang the hitch from the pin for a short while, will that cause a problem. I can't pick up the hitch by myself and I want to buy some plywood. I only plan to leave the hitch on pin for a short while, what do you think?
Ependy, not to be argumentative, but where in OP's post is he asking for help unhooking the hitch?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Always Learning

He doesn't. My last question still stands for Spock.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
Always Learning

OldCoot, if it helps you not be argumentative- call it a learning experience for me since I have a B&W Companion hitch and may want to be able to do the same thing.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
OldCoot, if it helps you not be argumentative- call it a learning experience for me since I have a B&W Companion hitch and may want to be able to do the same thing.
Sounds good to me, just couldn't figure out the line of questioning.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I hang my 16k from the pin box.
Normally people scatter like 20 gauge buck shot around my place when heavy lifting is in order.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #20

I have one pin under the bed of truck, I pull the pin and lock the pin out then take the hitch off and out of truck bed and that way I have a clean bed, no rails. I have a ball that I can put in so I can tow a goose neck, it stays inside of pickup. I hung the hitch on the pin and everything worked out fine. When I put the hitch back on I put the hitch in the truck bed and then I just worked the hitch around to get the hitch back in the square hole, saved me a lot of problems, plus my back. I have the level-up on camper and I put some jack pads under my front jacks so I could get the front of camper up a little higher.