Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Hathaway or Silverback

Need input from Hathaway and Silverback owners.

DW and I are torn between the Hathaway 34re and Silverback 33IK.

Is the price difference between the two, meaning the Hathaway is about 5-7K more, worth it for the little extras you get?

We will be using it for weekend and long week trips now, but plan on using it as our Snow bird retreat in about 8-10 years. Want to have it paid off before we get there. It will be garage kept, so I know the condition will be great.

Looking for all opinions.

Thanks,
ldmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Your question is circular. Of course the difference is worth it IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY!! Get what you WANT ON THE BUILD. Just 1 for instance: we have BOTH std oven AND best convection available. WHY; because we wanted it!!

We could comfortably live in this 33rl for many years if we so choose. You decide on your use and build either.
Some say "ohhh" a Hathaway or Cardinal. I say Silverback; loaded; comfortable and paid for in cash.

Not trying to offend anyone. Just get what you WANT...........
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

You asked the exact same question before. Your not happy with the replies you got there?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #4

We considered both of these when making our final decision. There is a lot of give and take, pros and cons for both of these units. But in the end no one can answer this question for you "is it worth it?" What may be a great purchase for me may be a terrible fit for you and your family so I suggest looking inward to your needs and you answer the question yourself.
Consider "everything" each of these units has to offer and determine if it is important to you. Come up with a list of must haves and a separate list of things to avoid. Determine which unit best fits into your two lists.
If possible get inside each unit (specific floor plan if possible) and spend some time getting the feel and thinking about how it will work on a long term basis. And finally, don't forget to factor in your budget.
Don't rush unless you have a upcoming milestone such as retirement coming up. And keep looking; who knows, you could end up with a Toy Hauler
Good luck.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

donniedu,

I asked this question over on another site, but it was suggested that I ask it here.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

We have the 33IK and love it. We have the king bed and the stacked washer and dryer. We got an excellent deal on it. Would I consider the Hathaway? Yes I would, but I am still loving our Silverback.
2015 nights camped 91
2016 nights camped 84

2017 nights camped 07 January
freedomfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

We love our 29re silverback. We would buy another. Great trailer for the money
Old 10-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmc View Post
Need input from Hathaway and Silverback owners.

DW and I are torn between the Hathaway 34re and Silverback 33IK.

Is the price difference between the two, meaning the Hathaway is about 5-7K more, worth it for the little extras you get?

We will be using it for weekend and long week trips now, but plan on using it as our Snow bird retreat in about 8-10 years. Want to have it paid off before we get there. It will be garage kept, so I know the condition will be great.

Looking for all opinions.

Thanks,

When we start our search for a replacement 5ER, I looked at several different manufactures and models of 5ER's. We almost purchased a Silverback model, my wife and I really like the unit at first. But on closer examination we changed our minds and went with the Hathaway model. Why? Several reason, one I like slide toppers and they will not work on the cathedral ceiling slides. Two, the Hathaway model has 100 cubic foot more of storage space than a Silverback model. The frame on the Hathaway model has a flat floor pass through storage compartment with no hump like most 5ER's. Three, the 19 CU FT residential refrigerator was standard which we wanted. Four, the Hathaway model offers Slow Rise roller shades which have a sun blocking shade and a room darkening shade. This was a must for my wife. There may be other differences but these are the main ones that come to mind.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
When we start our search for a replacement 5ER, I looked at several different manufactures and models of 5ER's. We almost purchased a Silverback model, my wife and I really like the unit at first. But on closer examination we changed our minds and went with the Hathaway model. Why? Several reason, one I like slide toppers and they will not work on the cathedral ceiling slides. Two, the Hathaway model has 100 cubic foot more of storage space than a Silverback model. The frame on the Hathaway model has a flat floor pass through storage compartment with no hump like most 5ER's. Three, the 19 CU FT residential refrigerator was standard which we wanted. Four, the Hathaway model offers Slow Rise roller shades which have a sun blocking shade and a room darkening shade. This was a must for my wife. There may be other differences but these are the main ones that come to mind.

All that and the fiberglass rear cap would be the ticket.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #10

I read a lot about people wanting the back cap.

Is it just the look that it gives the trailer, as to why people want it?

We are leaning toward the Silverback for now and as we get closer to retirement, upgrade to the Hathaway or something else at that time.

This will save us a little money now and get our feet wet with a 5th.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #11

I like the rear cap on the Cedar Creek

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #12

Took me forever to find it, but here is what my salesman sent us when we asked the very same question that you are asking. Some of this may matter, some may not, but info anyway.........

Cedar Creek rear fiberglass cap Silverback just a filon rear

Cedar Creek solid wood cabinets throughout Silverback uses lumbercore stiles and end caps

Cedar Creek standard central vac Silverback is optional

Cedar Creek has a wireless remote Silverback not a option

Cedar Creek 7000/8000 pound axles standard Silverback 6000 pound axle

Cedar creek one piece fiberglass shower Silverback 2 piece

Cedar creek 12 gallon gas water heater Silverback 10 gallon

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

BandjCarm, Perfect, that is what I was looking for.

One other thing I need to add to your list is that the Hathaway comes with Day/Night shades, Silverback only night shades.

Thanks again, this will help us.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

Look at Silverback 35IK before deciding. Much better bath in 35IK

2008 F250 6.4l srw
2016 CC SB 33ik
Georgia Based
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

Silverback pkg comes with central vac now too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

That was not ME, that was from our sales guy (who is knowledgeable and a good help).

I think the differences in quality are shrinking.

I do like the A frame type, Tent shaped, slides on the Silverback. Makes great sense.

I doubt anyone could really comment intelligently unless they've owned both. It's sort of like the difference in Silverback, Hathaway, Champagne, and Riverstone. I get the bigger axles and more solid cabinets. The rest? I dunno............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #17

Silverback does not have dropped frame. Less storage

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #18

I just read that the Silverback only comes with E rated tires and not the G that the Hathaway does.

If this is the case, I will have to budget for a tire upgrade.

I don't have any dealerships close that I can validate for myself.

Any Silverback owners, can you confirm this?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #19

Yes. "E".
JUST got my 2015 back from the factory. New everything from frame down. Came with infamous tires again. Will run these about 2 years then upgrade. Seems like Maxxis may be a good choice.
For those wondering, FR stepped right up and took care of us ( out of warranty ).
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Yes. "E".
JUST got my 2015 back from the factory. New everything from frame down. Came with infamous tires again. Will run these about 2 years then upgrade. Seems like Maxxis may be a good choice.
For those wondering, FR stepped right up and took care of us ( out of warranty ).

Question! Does the Silverback trailer offered as standard the wet bolt system for the suspension? Or is this an option on the Silverback or not available at all?