Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #41

Kablair,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with me. I will certainly add these to the advice of the others who have been kind enough to also share on this forum topic.

Our rig is already fitted with a TrailAir king pin hitch so I am pleased to hear that it is beneficial and not merely an expensive decoration added by the dealer. Generally I tend to drive for about 8 - 10 hours south from Calgary to Montana, so having something that makes this less painful and stressful will hopefully make that drive and the start of our vacations more enjoyable.

I will certainly ensure I check the labeling on the waste tanks too, not that we ever dump without being connected but I always like to empty the black tank first, followed by the galley and finally the grey water from the shower. Although, reading what 38FLCamper wrote, it looks like the shower drains into the same tank as the galley. As we aren't having a washer/dryer I doubt that tank will see too much water going in unless I get them to install a valve to help equalize the tanks and utilize the unused capacity. If that's how it would work?

I am hoping the six point auto level will hold the rig rock steady but I too am a mature build (hoping to downsize before the summer) so we'll see how that works out. If I can get away without the tripod so much the better.

Being an ex-traffic cop and authorized vehicle examiner (albeit in the UK - checkout my Black Rat avatar) I certainly keep my eye out for dodgy tires, brakes, suspension and chassis on any vehicle I buy. I just never encountered any RV this size across the pond. I had noticed the posted height for the rig was just under 13' but allowing for the tires to inflate slightly when they get warm in the summer and someone else's measurements having the chance of being slightly off, I'm going to allow for it being over 13' before I try and pass under a gas station canopy or low bridge.

My current trailer is a Rockwood 8315 which has all the aero dynamics of a house brick when being towed. So I'm guessing only a slight difference in gas mileage towing this wee beastie. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get to know until late April when we pick up the new rig and have been able to dig ours out from behind the snow drift that has formed around it, although thankfully not actually touching it.

I did notice that it appears the recliner isn't anchored anywhere during towing. Has anyone experienced a problem with it moving at all? I'd hate to find that it has shifted and tumbled into the dining area while we're driving. I was also disappointed to see the sewer hoser storage tube looks like it can only accommodate the actual hose. It doesn't look big enough, from what I've seen, to hold a rhino flex hose with the end fittings or adapters still attached. Is there anywhere you would recommend I can attach the external holders? On the TT I have it slung under the rear bumper (that also doubles as a sewer pipe holder capable of holding the hose with the end fitting/adapter).

Thanks to everyone for their invaluable help and advice, please keep it coming. Once we collect the CC I'll post some photos.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #42

Our six point holds it rock steady - we are also of mature build.. The small puggle runs and jumps down from the living room to the kitchen and I can feel it move slightly but that is usually the only movement I detect.

If you have a the front A/C 13.5BTU unit you are 13' 3" or so give or take a small bit. We have measured ours at 13' 3.5" on a level parking lot hooked up to the TV.

Our recliner has never moved - DW wants a swivel rocker to replace it (does like that she can not swivel)

Sewer storage - we found a fold up clothes line that fits into it nicely.
We store our hose in a fence posted fitted to the frame just in front of the spare tire. Some other examples:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ted-35283.html

l
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #43

Unable to respond to your mod posting due to age but hope this helps.

Lowes has a 5" square fence post that works great. Here in Texas it was only available by special order and was about $22.00. No charge for ordering or shipping. Must be picked up at the store.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #44

I love my Pull Rite Super Glide and the Trail Air hitch. The Pull Rite takes the headaches out of backing tight turns. The Trail Air takes the bumps out of the coach and all but eliminates the "chugging".
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #45

OL creeker ....thanks for your views on the TrailAir. The F350 is a pretty stiff ride compared to my Expedition which I noticed more last year as we towed the heavier TT with the truck. Trekking 6 hours to Kalispell gave us the feeling we'd felt every piece of grit on the road and the experienced it for a second time as the TT wheels went over the same small bumps and hollows. If the TrailAir takes some of that after shock away, it has my vote.

The dealer is 'giving' us a Reese 20k fifth wheel hitch although I don't know which particular model. I'll give it a whirl and if it doesn't work look at upgrading it for a Curts or similar.

Now if only spring would get here in the next few days we could get out there and field test the Cedar Creek. Have to wonder sometimes why I picked the frozen part of the continent to emigrate to. Two seasons here. Winter and July.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #46

hi hutch I have a trailair pin and drive a chevy 3500 it hs a good ride but with that said some of the foads we drive are so bad that it trailair don't help.unless you want to spend a lot of money for the hutch that has the air bags .nothing will help on these roads
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote