Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

Help and advice request - potentially buying a new 38fl

Hi, I am in the midst of considering the purchase of a new Cedar Creek 38FL and could really use some help and advice. If we go ahead with a purchase it won't be until perhaps February next year (when the dealer is supposed to be taking delivery) so I will be coming back to this thread with lots of questions.
We have been RVing now for five years, starting off with a Jayco 25' Feather lite and then upgrading it last year to a Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8315. At that time we only had a large SUV but have now purchased a 2008 F350 super cab dually (diesel) with an 8' box. Just prior to that purchase my DW looked inside the 38FL and fell in. Love with the floor layout and I have to admit I did like it myself. The model we are looking at should come loaded, according to the dealer, and include the auto leveling system and tracair king pin. (If I'm not getting these quite right, please cut me some slack).
My first questions are, what 5th wheel hitch should I be looking at and have I read the numbers right that indicate my truck is capable of pulling this trailer?

Are there any particular points I should be looking at when viewing this RV? I have seen a very wide range of prices for this unit from as little as $60k all the way up to $95+k so if anyone can give me an idea of what would be a sensible price for a 2014 loaded model I would be grateful.

As I said earlier, I'm going to be coming back to this thread with more questions, many of which may appear ridicules to the experienced 5th wheel owner but I would appreciate your honesty and tolerance while I see if this is a possibility and if the dealership comes through with the goods at their end.

Many thanks

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

I can not help you with any of your questions but wishing you good luck. I looked at the same model at the rv show, and like you, it was lust at first sight.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

IMHO The 6.4L International will get you about 7mpg @ normal cruise depending on what your rear axle ratio is. Optimum for your load on the specified F350 is 3.73:1. I believe stock is lower. Pin weight and GVWR should not be an issue for you. Absolute minimum hitch rating is 18k lbs. Most folks are using 20k's. I have the Ford hitch which is 25k. If you want a smooth bed for other chores you will need a mount below the bed. You F350 may already have one. If you get the TrailAir, you will need a normal fifth wheel hitch with a good solid jaw mechanism. The better hitches will have that. If you go el-cheapo, you will need to add a Tri-Glide lower jaw to your king pin box to get rid of annoying chucking. Price... Well that depends on where you purchase it. The closer to Elkhart, IN, the cheaper they get. There are some wholesale houses with prices generally about 25-27% under MSRP. Where are you going to get it serviced is your next issue. And the list goes on and on and on. When you read responses to your post, be aware that there are some "trolls" that post here. Some are well intended, others not so much. Stick with feedback from Creekers. They tend to be more "experienced". Also consider that the greater the detail you provide increases the quality of feedback you get. Whatever you end up with, Happy Trails. Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You should have no problems pulling with that truck, and I would expect a little better than 7mpg. While Duck offers some good advice, Cedar Creek owners are no more "experienced" on the whole, than the rest of us. Most questions a new 5er owner asks are usually general questions, that any 5er owner can answer, so don't be too short sighted on your search for answers. As for a hitch, I would look to a 20k, personally I like the Curt 20k, but everyone has their preference. While shopping around for a price, shop for a "dealer" also. Get a good feel for how the dealer handles warranty work. Talk with previous buyers if you can, generally there will be a few hanging out around the service department. Good luck!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Hopson 2196

Hello Richard & Diane,

My wife and I are about to retire from a PD in the DC area. We just bought a very loaded CC 38FL last weekend for $61k and it included a stacked washer/dryer.

I pulled it from NC to the DC area via I-81 (the Shenadoah Mountains) and got 10mpg with a 2012 Dodge 3500 4X4 diesel dually.

From the books I read - the dealers mark up 30% over their cost.

If you can, I would highly recommend Tom Johnson's Camping Center in North Carolina. They have 2 locations in NC. They reduced the price 30% without even dickering. I suggest the one outside of Ashville. They were great on price and delivery.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Mark
Hopson2196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

Your truck as others have said will work. The hitch will need to be set up to match your RV so finding a dealer you like is important. With an 8 foot bed you don't need a slider and the 20K versions are a good place to start. Good luck!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
IMHO The 6.4L International will get you about 7mpg @ normal cruise depending on what your rear axle ratio is. Optimum for your load on the specified F350 is 3.73:1. I believe stock is lower. Pin weight and GVWR should not be an issue for you. Absolute minimum hitch rating is 18k lbs. Most folks are using 20k's. I have the Ford hitch which is 25k. If you want a smooth bed for other chores you will need a mount below the bed. You F350 may already have one. If you get the TrailAir, you will need a normal fifth wheel hitch with a good solid jaw mechanism. The better hitches will have that. If you go el-cheapo, you will need to add a Tri-Glide lower jaw to your king pin box to get rid of annoying chucking. Price... Well that depends on where you purchase it. The closer to Elkhart, IN, the cheaper they get. There are some wholesale houses with prices generally about 25-27% under MSRP. Where are you going to get it serviced is your next issue. And the list goes on and on and on. When you read responses to your post, be aware that there are some "trolls" that post here. Some are well intended, others not so much. Stick with feedback from Creekers. They tend to be more "experienced". Also consider that the greater the detail you provide increases the quality of feedback you get. Whatever you end up with, Happy Trails. Hope this helps.
This forum has the least trolls I have seen anywhere. A troll is someone that purposely disrupts threads and antagonizes others, and that almost never happens here. Disagreements, yes but intentional trolling, no I have not seen it. If you have a problem with anyone that you think is trolling, PM the moderators, they are great.

IMO, of course
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

38FL Owner

Well welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as needed and we will try to help out. Purchased a 38FL in Sept of last year (2013) "fully loaded" - well no generator but otherwise I am not aware of any other options at the time that were available. As you can see from the picture we are towing with a 2002 F350 7.3L dually. (Added air bags since this picture to adjust ride height). We are running 11.5 mpg over 2300 miles towing with this rig this year. We love the floor plan (same issue - DW walked in and fell in love with it - therefore I love it also... and I do like it)

We have a curt 24K hitch and love it but I can not compare to any other hitch as this is our first 5er.

We did add Air Lift 5000 Air Bags to adjust the ride height as it was sagging in the back a bit. Since have had new springs put on and run only about 30lbs in the air to level the ride out.

"Upgrades" to our "loaded" 38FL - Changed out the WFCO converter to a Progressive Dynamics converter for better battery management (Residential Fridge).

Replaced the cheap floor registers to nicer ones from Amazon.

We have the TrailAir pin and like it but also nothing to compare it to as we have only towed this 5er with the TrailAir pin.

Paid ~$60K with TrailAir and full cover

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Things to look for:

- Inspect the flooring closely - we had a very tiny cut in the vinyl.
- Inspect the screws on the front slides - I have heard of these slide mechanisms (Lippert) not being installed properly and having loose screws.
- Inspect the attachment of the slide toppers. Again reports of loose screws
- Look for hydraulic leaks and ensure they show you were ALL of the hydraulic controls and panels are and how they operate.
- Fill ALL tanks with water to check for leaks (any rig)
- Watch the battery connections (Residential Fridge) - 4 batteries and I have seen almost every one of these units not being wired properly.
- Review the wiring of the front TV - Our HDMI cable was run over the lift system and broke the first time it was put down after going up.

Be aware:
- You have 2 gray - 1 black tank.
- Due to the way they are installed and configured - the Gray #1 is used for the Washer and Bathroom Vanity only.
Gray #2 is used for the Shower AND Kitchen Sink (this tank can fill quickly if not careful. We purchased a bayonet valve to equalize the gray tanks when no sewer is available. (Dry camping)

Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #10

Hi just picked up my 38FL in aug.like the floor plain .only problem I had was that batteries where hooked up wrong .they are great prices you guys got.i paid 72000.for mine.still not sure about the inverter being big enough for the ref.i have the air rite king pin box .a lot better the std. hitch.i have a 2013 3500 hd chevy dullie and pulls the 38FL with no problems.don't know it's there.
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #11

Check pricing at Jeff Couch's RV Nation in Hamilton, Ohio. We bought a Cedar Creek from them in 2006 and found them to be honest and reliable with great service before, during, and after the sale.
Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #12

hi and yes I checked them out. they didn't want to trade my old 5er on the new 1 the price was good. with but no trade
also lazydays in fl. good prices. but the guy around the cornner had a better price and trade price. I had ordered mine with a lot of extras.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #13

Thank you to you all for you help and advice so far, it has been very helpful. I will be buying the rig in Alberta, Canada so won't get the opportunity to deal with the companies you suggested but the tips for knowing what to look for will be most helpful.. If or rather when we do go ahead with this purchase, i will certainly let you know and be seeking further information from you all. Thanks again. Richard

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #14

np hutch hope you like it as much as we do
Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #15

new - 38FL

I just received my 38FL. Only minor issues. Washer hot and cold water were swapped etc. I tow with 2013 Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite air bags and Curt 20K hitch. I installed the Curt "turnover ball" gooseneck. Then just use their adapter plate and mount 5th wheel hitch on top. It's a nice set-up. I purchased all from Autoanything.com. They had best price and best customer service. Purchased trailer from Jeff Couch RV Nation. Lowest price and great service. No sales pressure at all. Extended warranty was reasonably priced and will have to wait to see how that turns out. As far as the Jensen TV and Radio set up. It only took me a couple of days to decide I didn't like radio. I purchased Onkyo LS-B50 soundbar with subwoofer and kept Jensen TV for now. So far I am completely happy with my decision to purchase CC 38FL.
CGuillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGuillory View Post
Extended warranty was reasonably priced and will have to wait to see how that turns out. :
Enjoy you new Creek. Just one Q; The extended warranty is price fixed @ $250.00. So I'm wondering what you mean by the quote above?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

I looked at Forest River extended 1 year warranty and declined. RV Nation had 5 year extended warranty offered by Safe Harbor. I don't have paperwork in from of me but it was pretty extensive coverage at a reasonable price. It covers about everything. If you would like more info I can dig up paperwork etc.
CGuillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

No thanks. I'm very familiar with 3rd party insurance policies.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #19

Congrats! Let us know how it tows with that 2500... The pin weight seems a bit high for that vehicle but I am not sure of the exact specs. The factory lists the pin ~2500 lbs, but our measurements show it around 3200 lbs..

Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Hopson 2196

Here is my question. Do you need to by an extended warranty before the manufacture's warranty rubs out? Seems like your paying for something you don't need that first year. Am I missing something?
Hopson2196 is offline   Reply With Quote