Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Help! It's raining roller shades....

We've now had four "daytime" roller shades come off the rollers and fall to the floor - after having three of them replaced by the dealer. Need to figure out how to get the valances down in order to get to the rollers. Anybody done theirs yet??
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Can you post some pictures? Some screws strip out way to easy. I don't worry about the valances to much. Valance screws are just in hardboard you can put them in easy. not sure on those rollers though. Did the complete day/night shade come down off the wall. I have moved one a little further up the wall and screwed it back on "by hand, as to not over tighten".
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Help! It's raining roller shades....

The shade itself detaches from the roller because the glue fails. The rollers are still mounted under the valances - I'm trying to figure out what it takes to get the valance out of the way so I can get to the rollers in order to glue the shades back on to the roller. I'd rather not experiment if someone already has gone thru this....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Chief,
The valances should be fastened to the bulkhead by four
l-brackets and square drive self tapping screws. You will need
a long extension for your bit to reach way up to the top inside corners of the valance. You might need a 90* to get the bottom ones out as well.
I did not have rollers on mine but had to take an accordion shade out to fix the strings.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Thanks much - I'll give it a try when a have lots of daylight and a bottle of Gorilla glue. Let you know how it turns out.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Can you post some pictures? Some screws strip out way to easy. I don't worry about the valances to much. Valance screws are just in hardboard you can put them in easy. not sure on those rollers though. Did the complete day/night shade come down off the wall. I have moved one a little further up the wall and screwed it back on "by hand, as to not over tighten".
Unfortunately, the space under the valances is just too tight to even take a picture. I took a flashlight to look up under there, which did very little to "enlighten" me. It appears that the screws, which can hardly be seen are toe'd into the wall without any brackets....

What I need to figure out now is how to get these "el cheapo" Irvine shade rollers out in order to apply a healthy dose of Gorilla glue to the roller, wind the fabric back up, and then re-install the assembly.

Tried going to the Irvine Shade and Door website, but it's fairly useless - altho it did have some contact numbers that I'll be dialing in the morning

I'll update if I find anything to share
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Still trying? Hope this web site helps.

Identify Your Blind : : : Do It Yourself Blind Repair
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #8

We have the day night pleated shades but your right on ours the valances or screwed toenail fashion into the walls, have to take them down to get our shades out also, that seems harder then restringing the shades.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Sounds like the bean counters figured out how to save $.50 a unit by eliminating
brackets.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Still trying? Hope this web site helps.

Identify Your Blind : : : Do It Yourself Blind Repair
Thanks for the lead, but the site was a bit short on RV shades. Got to see some other neat stuff, though......Thanks again
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We have the day night pleated shades but your right on ours the valances or screwed toenail fashion into the walls, have to take them down to get our shades out also, that seems harder then restringing the shades.
Any hints on the easiest way to take down the valances?
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Sounds like the bean counters figured out how to save $.50 a unit by eliminating
brackets.
Then they must have saved at least $5.00 by having a six year old do their web site....no, wait: they paid a six year old 5 bucks to actually do the web site - it's really, really pitiful
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #13

I recently replaced a pleated shade with one of the Irvine rollup shades. If I recall correctly, the brackets for the shades screw directly into the wall up under the valance, so you do have to remove the valance to remove the brackets. However, if I recall correctly, the brackets had a quick release on them. My only problem was there was not enough room under the valance to use the quick release - you have to tilt the shade assembly to get it in or our using the quick release. The valance on mine was toenailed on the outside corner and screwed into the overhead cabinet at the back corner. There is no way to get to that back screw with the shade in place, so I simply toenailed the back corner also.

I have attached two photos of an extra bracket I have. The first is in the closed position, the second is in the open position. There is a piece at the front that is pushed in to open the bracket to release the shade assembly. My problem was getting my fingers in between the valance and the bracket to push the release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	52194   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	52195  

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2011 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke
cbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
We've now had four "daytime" roller shades come off the rollers and fall to the floor - after having three of them replaced by the dealer. Need to figure out how to get the valances down in order to get to the rollers. Anybody done theirs yet??
We've had three shades replaced on our CC....fabric came unglued on two rollers, and the third roller fell off the wall due to poor installation and broken bracket. Dealer installed 3 new units using some "improved design" brackets from Irvine Shade, but the same crappy glue design on the fabric to roller tube interface. I had a window awning installed on the slideout to shade the black window glass in hopes that the heat won't build up on the roller tube again and melt the glue.....we'll see this summer if that helps....got my doubts.

Another thing that may help is to not pull the shades all the way down to the bottom of the windows, leaving several wraps of fabric on the roller to give extra support to the little 1/2" wide glue strip that attaches the fabric to roller tube.

This makes about 4 folks that I know about that have had glue failures on the Irvine shades...statistically, that means that this summer we will see an exceptionally high failure rate on these shades....Don't count on CC acknowledging this and stepping up with a better quality shade....sure miss my pleated fabric shades on last RV....
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #15

We also miss our pleated shades from our last unit..... Last night I sent an email to the Irvine "customer service" rep asking for detailed instructions on how to remove, repair and re-install the day shades - holding my breath til I get a response. I'm guessing I'll look like a Smurf before this is over
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbari View Post
I recently replaced a pleated shade with one of the Irvine rollup shades. If I recall correctly, the brackets for the shades screw directly into the wall up under the valance, so you do have to remove the valance to remove the brackets. However, if I recall correctly, the brackets had a quick release on them. My only problem was there was not enough room under the valance to use the quick release - you have to tilt the shade assembly to get it in or our using the quick release. The valance on mine was toenailed on the outside corner and screwed into the overhead cabinet at the back corner. There is no way to get to that back screw with the shade in place, so I simply toenailed the back corner also.

I have attached two photos of an extra bracket I have. The first is in the closed position, the second is in the open position. There is a piece at the front that is pushed in to open the bracket to release the shade assembly. My problem was getting my fingers in between the valance and the bracket to push the release.
Thanks so much for your very detailed reply. I'm saving your instructions til we get to our next stop, where we'll be staying about three months. That should give me enough time to do all the shades in the rig with some Gorilla glue....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #17

Got a phone response today from my email to Irvine Shades in Elkhart. The production manager indicated that there was a problem with the glue strips that hold the day shade on the roller. He said they will be sending one for one replacement shades as soon as they get the true dimensions from Forest River.....Irvine will pick up all shipping costs to and from.

Can't ask for much more than that.....(well, I guess they could send a tech to install them, but oh, well....)

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #18

Dan,

Are they replacing all the shades in your RV, or just the ones that have failed so far?.....Because they will all fail sooner or later when the sun gets to that side of the RV...

When you receive your new shades, take a picture of the glue strip and post so we can see if they used a wider double sided tape.

The 3 replacement shades they sent my dealer for my RV were the same as original.......