Originally Posted by HeyJude
Thank you, that worked!
Odd thing about the power switch tripping is that I was only running the hair dryer. Husband thinks that and the electric water heater may have been too much for the outlet. We are in an old campground, so the lines may not be able to handle anything more.
I take it to mean "that worked" is the pedestal circuit breaker had tripped?
Yes, the breakers and wiring can be weak in campgrounds, and as you stated it is older.
The Suburban electric water heater element is usually 1440 watts, which is 12 amps when energized.
Add those 12 amps to your hair dryer (12-15+amps), and then probably your fridge is on electric which you may have forgotten about 5-8 amps, and anything else on 120 volt electric like your converter (which is what is providing power to your 12 volt stuff, 2-8 amps depending on how many lights and such you have on, and if it's charging your battery too).....and you can see how quickly you go over 30 amps if you are plugged into a 30 amp pedestal.
And this is without an air-conditioner, or microwave being on.
If on a 30 amp service, it's a good idea to practice energy management, and maybe use propane only to heat the water if you are going to be using high amp appliances at the same time.
It's all a learning curve, where you figure out what can be turned on (and what must be turned off) in order not to trip circuit breakers. Hair dryers are a high amp consumer of power.