Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Help, no electric!

I was drying my hair and all the power went out. We are connected to shore power. He tripped all the switches but nothing. Any suggestions?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

do you have a meter, check to see if the pole breakers are tripped, and the breaker on the motorhome, if you have no power anywhere it has to be the mains, on either power source, if you have power other than your gfi, then your gfi needs to be reset, connections might be loose and blown free of connections, so many places to check, really need meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
I was drying my hair and all the power went out. We are connected to shore power. He tripped all the switches but nothing. Any suggestions?

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Have you checked your main breaker outside on the pedestal ?
Or...your GFI is tripped, they are sometimes located elsewhere than the outlet your using and all connected in line.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Have you tried the GFIs? the breaker at the post?
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Team

As others have asked, do you have absolutely no power to any 120 volt thing, or is it just the outlets? If you have a microwave oven, are the lights to it on? That will help in the diagnosis.

Depending on the wattage hair dryer you are using, they can use anywhere from 10 amps (1200 watt) to over 15 amps (1850 watt). Many of your subcircuits in the RV are only rated to 15 amps max....and this has to include EVERYTHING being used on that subcircuit.

If you are on a 30 amp service, and running an air conditioner at the same time, you have most likely either tripped the main breaker at the pedestal or in your RV. Suggest turning off all circuit breakers in your RV and turning them back on. Do the same at the outside pedestal.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #6

Thank you, that worked!

Odd thing about the power switch tripping is that I was only running the hair dryer. Husband thinks that and the electric water heater may have been too much for the outlet. We are in an old campground, so the lines may not be able to handle anything more.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you, that worked!

Odd thing about the power switch tripping is that I was only running the hair dryer. Husband thinks that and the electric water heater may have been too much for the outlet. We are in an old campground, so the lines may not be able to handle anything more.
I take it to mean "that worked" is the pedestal circuit breaker had tripped?

Yes, the breakers and wiring can be weak in campgrounds, and as you stated it is older.

The Suburban electric water heater element is usually 1440 watts, which is 12 amps when energized.

Add those 12 amps to your hair dryer (12-15+amps), and then probably your fridge is on electric which you may have forgotten about 5-8 amps, and anything else on 120 volt electric like your converter (which is what is providing power to your 12 volt stuff, 2-8 amps depending on how many lights and such you have on, and if it's charging your battery too).....and you can see how quickly you go over 30 amps if you are plugged into a 30 amp pedestal.

And this is without an air-conditioner, or microwave being on.

If on a 30 amp service, it's a good idea to practice energy management, and maybe use propane only to heat the water if you are going to be using high amp appliances at the same time.

It's all a learning curve, where you figure out what can be turned on (and what must be turned off) in order not to trip circuit breakers. Hair dryers are a high amp consumer of power.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

Probably a poor connection in one of the other receptacles the power

Runs through
Old 05-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

It was the circuit breaker. Our campground is very old and has old electrical. I just make sure I'm not running anything else while I'm drying my hair. Thank you for all of your help.

Tags
electric